This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

PNB 2010-2011 Season and Reduction of One Performance per Run

When I first saw PNB would be performing Giselle, my first though was, "WHY?!" It seems totally wrong for the company, whose aesthetic doesn't appear to have anything to do with the Romantic era. However, as Fullington is involved, I think this is a production the ballet world needs very much.

It seems totally wrong for the company, whose aesthetic doesn't appear to have anything to do with the Romantic era.

Perhaps in these difficult times, it has more to do with the aesthetic of a segment of PNB's traditional audience that have been luke warm or even hostile about the direction Boal has taken the company. (In the interests of full disclosure.....I am most definitely not one of those audience members.)

I've been mulling this over lately, since the addition of Giselle to the repertory surprised me as well, but I'm thinking that I missed a connection. In this case, I think it's less about the distinction between Classical and Romantic as it is between ballet and modern/contemporary/jazz. Boal has mentioned over and over again how excited he is at the breadth of potential he thinks his performers have, and how he wants audiences to recognize everything they can do (emphasis mine, mostly). Yes, the Romantic style is not that familiar to the company, but neither was English/Russian Classical style when they first came to learn Sleeping Beauty, and I was gobsmacked at how hard they worked at it, and how well they did. I have big faith in Doug Fullington's skills with this kind of reconstruction, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all works.

Francia Russell said in a Q&A that SFB and PNB were trying to co-present "Vienna Waltzes" by having the company split the expenses, and, if I remember correctly, perform it jointly, since it needed so many dancers.

Re-reading this thread after seeing Coppelia (new sets/costumes co-commissioned with San Francisco) perhaps lightning might strike twice, and we could get Vienna Waltzes too!

Francia Russell said in a Q&A that SFB and PNB were trying to co-present "Vienna Waltzes" by having the company split the expenses, and, if I remember correctly, perform it jointly, since it needed so many dancers.

Re-reading this thread after seeing Coppelia (new sets/costumes co-commissioned with San Francisco) perhaps lightning might strike twice, and we could get Vienna Waltzes too!

I'm not sure it would be cost effective to make costumes for the 12-year-olds they'd have to recruit to fill out the corps.

From a press release from PNB:

Pacific Northwest Ballet Box Office Opens for 2010-2011 Season on Monday, July 19.

Special One Week Offer: NO SERVICE FEES July 19 – 25!

If you buy your tickets starting next Monday through the end of next week, no service fees, which is a good deal.