This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"Balanchine's Petipa" at the Gugenheim 14-15 May 7:30pm

Go hear doug! Go see this program! The two parts presented in Seattle are among the best ballet experiences I've ever had.

Here is the press release:

SEATTLE, WA — Pacific Northwest Ballet Education Programs Manager Doug Fullington will give a presentation of Balanchine’s Petipa as part of Works & Process at the Guggenheim. The presentation’s lecture-demonstration format will feature performances by PNB company members and discussion of dances by both Marius Petipa and George Balanchine. Balanchine’s Petipa will be presented at 7:30 pm on Friday, May 14 and Saturday, May 15 in the Peter B. Lewis Theater in the Guggenheim Museum. For tickets, call 212.423.3587, or visit www.worksandprocess.org

Balanchine’s Petipa explores the influence of the choreography of Marius Petipa (1818-1910) and his colleagues at the Imperial Ballet in St. Petersburg on the choreography of George Balanchine (1904-1983), with a particular focus on choreography for men. Excerpts from 19th-century ballets will include The Awakening of Flora, La Bayadère, The Nutcracker, Paquita, Raymonda, The Sleeping Beauty, and Swan Lake. Excerpts from Balanchine ballets will include Apollo, Divertimento from “Le Baiser de la Fée”, Divertimento No. 15, Emeralds, Prodigal Son, Raymonda (1946), Raymonda Variations, and Theme and Variations. The program’s Balanchine excerpts have been staged by Peter Boal, Elyse Borne, Frederic Franklin, and Francia Russell. The 19th-century dances have been reconstructed by Mr. Fullington using notations made in St. Petersburg in the Stepanov notation method at the turn of the 20th century.

Doug Fullington has been Education Programs Manager at Pacific Northwest Ballet since 2005 and Assistant to Artistic Director Peter Boal since 2006. He has been with PNB since 1995 and is also on the consulting staff of Pacific Northwest Ballet School as dance historian. He is a fluent reader of Stepanov notation, a classical ballet notation system developed in Russia and used in the Imperial Theaters, St. Petersburg, between about 1894 and 1915. In 2000, he contributed reconstructed dances to the Bolshoi Ballet’s revival of Marius Petipa’s The Daughter of Pharaoh, and in 2004, he reconstructed Petipa’s Le jardin animé for PNB School. He most recently reconstructed 25 dances from Petipa’s 1899 production Le Corsaire for the Bavarian State Ballet. His writings on the Stepanov notations have been published in Ballet Alert!, Ballet Review, Dance View, and Dancing Times. In 2000, he was named a principal researcher for The George Balanchine Foundation’s “Popular Balanchine” project. Mr. Fullington is also a professional musician. In 1993, he founded the Tudor Choir, a professional vocal ensemble based in Seattle that he continues to direct.

Joining Mr. Fullington will be eight PNB company members: Principal dancers Carla Körbes, Kaori Nakamura, Lucien Postlewaite, and Mara Vinson; and soloists Benjamin Griffiths, James Moore, Seth Orza, and Lesley Rausch. PNB Acting Music Director and Conductor Allan Dameron will accompany.

All performances occur at the Peter B. Lewis Theater at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, 1071 Fifth Avenue at 89th Street, New York.

Tickets are $30 ($25 for Guggenheim members, $10 for students 25 and under with valid ID) and may be purchased by calling 212.423.3587, M-F 1-5 pm, or online at www.worksandprocess.org.

I saw this presentation on Tuesday at PNB (a sort of a dress rehearsal for the Guggenheim gig). It was fantastic for any serious ballet lover. You will learn a lot about Mr B's roots in the world of Petipa. We will also see some of PNB's best dancers including: Carla Korbes, Leslie Rausch, Benjamin Griffiths, Seth Orza, among others (many are NYC alumnus). The PdD from Apollo with Carla and Seth alone is worth getting yourself there. (There will be an introduction by PNB Director Peter Boal too.)

I understand there are very few tickets left.

P.S. Rumor has it that Frederic Franklin (at 95 years of age, I believe) will be there for one of the evenings.

I'm scheduled to go, and will report, although I don't know a lot about Petipa and am not confident my report will be insightful.

The program will show the lineage from Petipa to Balanchine very clearly. You will learn a lot about Petipa in a short period of time and will see much more of Petipa in the Balanchine ballets :angry2:

Only one?

I don't really know. I don't know if he will be there at all for sure. But a well schooled little bird did tell me that FF will be there for at least one of the presentations. I'll be anxious to hear what actually happened from someone who goes to these persentations.

I just called the Guggenheim W&P office, and our conversation went like this:

Me: There's a rumor going around that Frederic Franklin will be appearing in one of the Balanchine's Petipa programs tonight or tomorrow.

W&P: Well, if there's a rumor, we haven't heard about it.

Me: You know whom I'm talking about, yes?

W&P (laughing gently): Of course!

Me: So he won't be on the panel?

W&P: No.

Me: Thank you for clearing that up.

So, for those of you who may have been making last minute plans to get a dose of Sir Freddie, unless he's in the audience, it ain't gonna happen.

However, I have no doubt that the program, as a whole, will be more than worthwhile. And the refreshments (which were absent during the fall-winter season) are back: focaccia, tea sandwiches, nuts, chips, olives (?) and cookies.

So, for those of you who may have been making last minute plans to get a dose of Sir Freddie, unless he's in the audience, it ain't gonna happen.

OOPS......that's what I meant....he's supposed to be in the audience (if he were an official part of the program, it wouldn't have been a rumor :wink:).

I guess I should have kept my mouth shut.