This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New Diana Adams/Ronald Bates collection at NYCB

I'm the executrix for Georgina Bates' estate and I just wanted to let you all know that I'm donating all of her parents' personal items to the NYCB. They will be creating another archive specifically to house these items. I'm very excited that these items will be in a place of honor and that others who will appreciate them will be able to enjoy them. I'm not sure of a specific time frame yet for when they will be available for viewing, but I can post again when I know for sure. Just wanted to share this exciting news with the ballet community.

I'm the executrix for Georgina Bates' estate and I just wanted to let you all know that I'm donating all of her parents' personal items to the NYCB. They will be creating another archive specifically to house these items. I'm very excited that these items will be in a place of honor and that others who will appreciate them will be able to enjoy them. I'm not sure of a specific time frame yet for when they will be available for viewing, but I can post again when I know for sure. Just wanted to share this exciting news with the ballet community.

Thank you, that's wonderful. Please keep us posted.

I hate to ask, but did Georgina die? She is so young! Or did she just decide to donate their items for personal reasons. I just googled her and only see information about her theater career.

There was a previous discussion (in 2008) about Ms Bates' estate:

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=27635

and it included the following sad news: :)

There was no published obituary for Georgina Bates. She took her own life earlier this year. Due to the circumstances of her death no public services were held. She was cremated and her ashes scattered with those of her mother, Diana Adams and father Ronald Bates per her wishes in her will. She had married and divorced - I'm not sure the dates. She never had any children of her own. She was an animal lover and left several dogs, cats and fish as her only survivors. She was living in Savannah, Georgia at the time of her death.
Wow! Just last night I was thinking about you and wondering what you decided to do with the items!

You made a good choice. Now I hope the company finds a way to share items with the public, as appropriate.

Thanks; I feel that the company will do a great job with them. I was thrilled that they were excited enough about them to make them their own collection. I've talked with their archivist and she said that she's had many requests for information about both of them, so I'm sure that they will be well utilized. If I can get my scanner to work (don't get your hopes too high), I'l try to post a few of Diana's pictures here before I mail them off. She was so beautiful and there are some great pics of her dancing (both at the ballet and as a youngster) and also some gorgeous headshots.

I hate to ask, but did Georgina die? She is so young! Or did she just decide to donate their items for personal reasons. I just googled her and only see information about her theater career.

Yes, I believe Estelle's post should answer your question. I just wanted to add that the Georgina Bates who is a theater actress is not Diana/Ronald's daughter.

If I can get my scanner to work (don't get your hopes too high), I'l try to post a few of Diana's pictures here before I mail them off. She was so beautiful and there are some great pics of her dancing (both at the ballet and as a youngster) and also some gorgeous headshots.

That would be just wonderful. Thank you for trying.