Patti Lupone- Seven Deadly Sins at NYCB

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 jsmu

jsmu

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:05 PM

Balanchine STRONGLY discouraged his dancers from 'acting', as is extremely well known,

I agree entirely with Cargill's response to this. 7 Deadly Sins is an example of the sub-genre of Balanchine theater pieces. Anna II was NOT a dance role in any conventional sense. The character must act, though using mimetic and dance movement. More, she must be able to hold the spotlight even when a vast amount of interesting (or distracting, depending on your point of view) stuff is going on around her.

My point , which apparently was entirely lost, was made by my placement of the word 'acting' in quotations. That means ballerina mannerisms, posturing, crotchets, schticks, and so much of what is now seen on stage both in ballet and in theater. We clearly disagree ENTIRELY on the esthetics of Seven Deadly Sins, on the period, and on Balanchine choreography whether or not it is 'neoclassical' and involves 'steps'...and on the impact of ANY Balanchine choreography with a great dancer in it.

#32 SingerWhoMoves

SingerWhoMoves

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:27 PM

Cabro- that's where my shock came from- I get the brochures for NYCB early and didn't see any mention of higher prices for 7 Deadly. When I walked in and saw it- I did a double take! And also, yes- totally unfair that if you want to see VW, you have to pay 7 Deadly prices. BOO!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):