This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Old French custom?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:23 PM

I'm just reading a biography of Harald Lander and have got to the bit where Etudes has its premiere at the Opera. It was a great success and Svend Kragh Jacobsen, reviewing it, said that during the curtain calls,

"The gorgeous Mademoiselle Bardin [who had danced the ballerina role] stepped forward and, as is the French custom, read the programme in a sweet little ballet-girl voice, which had a great deal of difficulty with Danish names. then everyone who had contributed to the evening's success came on stage..."

I've never heard of this happening - can anyone remember it? (Assuming it's not still like that - don't think I've been to a first night in Paris!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):