This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

What has happened to Lauren Cuthbertson?

That's a shame.

As a new member of BalletTalk, packer812, you should be aware that we do not permit unofficial news on this board. If anyone has information about Ms. Cuthbertson's condition, we require them to cite a reputable source, such as the company's website (or a public announcement or cast change slip) or a reputable news entity, such as a mainstream newspaper or tv report. We do not accept news from blogs that are not officially tied to the company or the dancer in question. Please check our Rules and Policies. :)

I hope the reason is good news. And I hope you'll tell us about Tamara Rojo's Juliet, unless you've decided not to go.

And welcome to BalletTalk! :wink:

I can say at least that in the cast list for the RB's latest triple bill, Lauren Cuthbertson's withdrawal (known for a while) is indicated as due to "illness." It has been the case since the beginning of the season. Will stop there to stay within the board's policy!

I have just got off the phone with the ROH Box Office - as it stands at the moment, Lauren Cuthbertson WILL be performing on 5th May in the EC/NS/Carmen Triple Bill! Tickets booked, so excited!!

Chris

Besides being a great dancer, I have met Lauren and her parents. All are very down to earth...

very nice people. And as you can imagine, her parents are very proud of their daughter.

I have just got off the phone with the ROH Box Office - as it stands at the moment, Lauren Cuthbertson WILL be performing on 5th May in the EC/NS/Carmen Triple Bill! Tickets booked, so excited!!

Chris

I hate to dampen your spirits but, according to the Period 4 press release (April 6) Lauren Cuthbertson has been replaced in Electric Counterpoint. She is, however, still down to do Chroma later in May.

http://www.roh.org.uk/uploadedFiles/Press_...mp;DanceBP4.pdf

I would add that the Box Office is not usually very well informed. They appear to rely on the ROH website (which does still give Lauren Cuthbertson's name in the castlist for Electric Counterpoint). This website is notoriously inaccurate. For example, it has been known for some time that, because of Federico Bonelli's injury, Sarah Lamb would be dancing with Ryoichi Hirano in Concerto. For reasons best known to itself, the ROH website has persisted in stating that Lamb's partner would be Valeri Hristov.Yesterday, a friend called the Box Office to ask who was dancing. He was informed that Valeri Hristov was definitely dancing last night. This proved to be completely wrong and Sarah Lamb's partner was, of course, Ryoichi Hirano.

I would therefore advise you to treat casting information from the ROH Box Office with caution!

Besides being a great dancer, I have met Lauren and her parents. All are very down to earth...

very nice people. And as you can imagine, her parents are very proud of their daughter.

I'm sure she's a very lovely person, but I really do feel that describing her as "great" is stretching it. I don't argue that she has a sure, solid technique, excellent turnout - qualities which in themselves are unusual for British British trained dancers of the past few years - but I see her as a talented first soloist, elevated perhaps prematurely or just politically to principal rank as there hasn't been a British female principal since Darcey Bussell.

If you go to Youtube, there's two versions of the waltz of the flowers from the RB production of Nutcracker one danced by Cuthbertson, the other by Zenaida Yanowsky. cuthbertson is firm, sure, charming, solid and assured, all lovely qualities in a dancer, but when you see Yanowsky, she just knocks it out of the ballpark. In terms of plasticity, amplitude of movement, technique - Yanowsky is a principal doing a first soloist role; Cuthbertson very much a first soloist.

Cuthbertson is part of that triad along with Watson & Pennefather, Brits at principal level to counter the criticisms that the RB has no British principals, well now they do. Of the three Cuthbertson is by far the best equipped to tackle the classical rep, no arguments there, but for me, she is a first soloist. When you see her against the foreign principals the disparity and difference is obvious.

She's a lovely dancer, I'd never take that away from her, but "great"? not for me.

I'm sure she's a very lovely person, but I really do feel that describing her as "great" is stretching it. I don't argue that she has a sure, solid technique, excellent turnout - qualities which in themselves are unusual for British British trained dancers of the past few years - but I see her as a talented first soloist, elevated perhaps prematurely or just politically to principal rank as there hasn't been a British female principal since Darcey Bussell.

If you go to Youtube, there's two versions of the waltz of the flowers from the RB production of Nutcracker one danced by Cuthbertson, the other by Zenaida Yanowsky. cuthbertson is firm, sure, charming, solid and assured, all lovely qualities in a dancer, but when you see Yanowsky, she just knocks it out of the ballpark. In terms of plasticity, amplitude of movement, technique - Yanowsky is a principal doing a first soloist role; Cuthbertson very much a first soloist.

Cuthbertson is part of that triad along with Watson & Pennefather, Brits at principal level to counter the criticisms that the RB has no British principals, well now they do. Of the three Cuthbertson is by far the best equipped to tackle the classical rep, no arguments there, but for me, she is a first soloist. When you see her against the foreign principals the disparity and difference is obvious.

She's a lovely dancer, I'd never take that away from her, but "great"? not for me.

Hear, hear!