This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

All Balanchine Program

Plus the combination of "Seth Orza" and "scamper" -- I think I'd have to see it to understand it!

It was kind of like a series of lateral passes in touch football, except he was both the quarterback and the receiver.

Wow. I mean, well, wow.

Seth Orza scampering.......

I too saw what Helene is talking about. It was subtle, but it was there.

Then I saw another wrinkle in that same sequence. In the lift immedidately following the one Helene speaks of (where Orza had to "scamper" a bit to catch up to Vinson), he may have overcompensated because when he got his hand around Vinson's waist in preparation for the next lift, he was moving so fast (perhaps not wanting to be a bit late again) that his momentum transferred to Vinson and she accelerated a bit while she was in the air during a hop before the actual big lift. It was like she had a little jet fire while she was airborne that sort of propelled her forward. For me that entire sequence just went to show the energy both dancers were expending in order to put life into the speedy choreography that is "Square Dance".

PNB has published a post-show wrap-up video with clips from "Serenade" (Kaori Nakamura; Mara Vinson/Lucien Postlewaite) and "Square Dance" (Carrie Imler in the Girl's Solo and corps couple Liora Reshef and Josh Spell), each of which ends in an Angela Sterling snapshot.