This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Three By DoveCasting, News, Reviews

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,477 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:48 AM

PNB has posted a short video with stager Parrish Maynard in a frank talk with Peter Boal about staging Ulysses Dove's "Serious Pleasures" with a lot of rehearsal footage:

http://www.facebook.......5641&ref=nf

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,477 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:02 PM

Here is the press release:

March 18 – 28, 2010
Marion Oliver McCaw Hall
321 Mercer Street at Seattle Center
Seattle, WA 98109

March 18 – 20 at 7:30 pm
April 20 at 2:00 pm
March 25 – 27 at 7:30 pm
March 28 at 1:00 pm

SEATTLE, WA—Pacific Northwest Ballet’s March mixed-repertory program features three works by the late Ulysses Dove (1947–1996): Vespers, Red Angels, and the PNB premiere of Serious Pleasures. The program also features the return of Suspension of Disbelief by contemporary dance-fusion choreographer Victor Quijada who credits Dove among those who have inspired his work. 3 by DOVE (and 1 by Quijada) runs from March 18 to March 28 at Seattle Center’s Marion Oliver McCaw Hall. Tickets may be purchased by calling the PNB Box Office at 206.441.2424, online at www.pnb.org, or in person at the PNB Box Office at 301 Mercer Street. PLEASE NOTE: This program is suggested for mature audiences.

PNB Artistic Director Peter Boal, who danced in the New York City Ballet premiere of Dove’s Red Angels, said “Ulysses lived in the moment, feeding off the energy of dancers and relishing the fruits of his creation. He pushed and criticized as much as he praised and applauded. He made you want to achieve greater heights and helped you realize potential you didn’t know you had. Ulysses took on classical ballet and knocked it out of the park.”

Boal continued: “Ulysses’ works are danced by many companies, but rarely gathered under one roof. His gifts as a choreographer are great enough that he deserves an opportunity to have several seen in one program. He was robbed of a long life, but his choreography deserves to live on.”

The program’s lineup will include:

Red Angels
Music: Richard Einhorn (Maxwell's Demon, 1988-1990)
Choreography: Ulysses Dove
Staging: Peter Boal
Costume Design: Holly Hynes
Lighting Design: Mark Stanley
Violin Soloist: Mary Rowell

Premiere: May 9, 1994; New York City Ballet (Diamond Project)
Pacific Northwest Ballet Premiere: September 17, 2005
Running time: 14 minutes

Vespers
Music: Mikel Rouse (Quorum, 1984)
Staging: Nasha Thomas-Schmitt
Lighting Design: William H. Grant III

Premiere: October 18, 1986; Dayton Contemporary Dance Company (Dayton, Ohio)
Pacific Northwest Ballet Premiere: March 13, 2008
Running time: 19 minutes

Suspension of Disbelief
Music: Mitchell Akiyama (2006)
Choreography: Victor Quijada
Costume Design: Mark Zappone
Lighting Design: Yan Lee Chan

Premiere: November 2, 2006; Pacific Northwest Ballet
Running time: 22 minutes

PNB Premiere
Serious Pleasures - The merciless battle between spirit and flesh
Music: Robert Ruggieri (1992)
Staging: Parrish Maynard
Scenic and Costume Design: Jorge Gallardo, supervised by Robert Perdziola
Lighting Design: William H. Grant III

Premiere: March 24, 1992; American Ballet Theatre (Chicago)
Running time: 30 minutes

Serious Pleasures, Pacific Northwest Ballet’s fourth Dove acquisition, presents an atmospheric view of contemporary urban social issues in a series of athletic solos and duets that feature Dove’s own fusion of ballet and modern dance. PNB Artistic Director Peter Boal saw ABT’s 1992 premiere of Serious Pleasures “and I found it full of signature Dove qualities. The dancers seemed unleashed with a wildness and a daring that one didn’t associate with a company considered the temple of classical ballet. The work was controversial for addressing the shadowy underworld of sexuality at the dawn of the AIDS epidemic. Parrish Maynard was the central figure in the work and turned in career-defining performances. The work was nearly lost, with the exception of a few grainy videos and Parrish’s keen memory. He has brought the work back from extinction for this revival.”

#3 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,477 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:08 PM

First week's casting is posted to the PNB website:

http://www.pnb.org/S...Details-Casting

Vespers
Rachel Foster Chalnessa Eames Chalnessa Eames Rachel Foster
Laura Gilbreath* Brittany Reid* Brittany Reid Laura Gilbreath
Lindsi Dec Lesley Rausch Lesley Rausch Lindsi Dec
Kaori Nakamura Margaret Mullin Margaret Mullin Kaori Nakamura
Carrie Imler Ariana Lallone Ariana Lallone Carrie Imler
Kylee Kitchens Leah O'Connor Leah O'Connor Kylee Kitchens

Red Angels
Ariana Lallone Olivier Wevers ; Carla Körbes Batkhurel Bold ; Laura Gilbreath Seth Orza ; Carla Körbes Batkhurel Bold To Be Announced
Lesley Rausch Lucien Postlewaite ; Kaori Nakamura Jonathan Porretta; Carrie Imler* Jordan Pacitti; Lesley Rausch Lucien Postlewaite

Suspension of Disbelief
Leah O'Connor* Leah O'Connor Leah O'Connor Leah O'Connor
Lindsi Dec* Lindsi Dec Abby Relic* Lindsi Dec
Chalnessa Eames Chalnessa Eames Chelsea Adomaitis* Chalnessa Eames
Rachel Foster Rachel Foster Margaret Mullin* Rachel Foster
Carrie Imler* Carrie Imler Carrie Imler Carrie Imler
Barry Kerollis* Barry Kerollis Ezra Thomson* Barry Kerollis
Benjamin Griffiths Benjamin Griffiths Benjamin Griffiths Benjamin Griffiths
James Moore James Moore James Moore James Moore
Jonathan Porretta Jonathan Porretta Andrew Bartee* Jonathan Porretta
Lucien Postlewaite Lucien Postlewaite Lucien Postlewaite Lucien Postlewaite
Olivier Wevers Olivier Wevers Olivier Wevers Olivier Wevers

Serious Pleasures
Narrator Lucien Postlewaite* Lucien Postlewaite Jonathan Porretta* Jonathan Porretta
Carla Körbes* Batkhurel Bold* ; Carla Körbes Batkhurel Bold ; Sarah Ricard Orza* Seth Orza* ;Sarah Ricard Orza Seth Orza
Lindsi Dec* Karel Cruz* ; Lindsi Dec Karel Cruz ; Chalnessa Eames* Barry Kerollis* ; Chalnessa Eames Barry Kerollis
Lesley Rausch* James Moore* ; Lesley Rausch James Moore ; Kylee Kitchens* Benjamin Griffiths* ; Kylee Kitchens Benjamin Griffiths
Ariana Lallone* Jordan Pacitti* ; Ariana Lallone Jordan Pacitti ; Rachel Foster* Jerome Tisserand* ; Rachel Foster Jerome Tisserand

*First time in role.

#4 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:08 PM

Helene, so you decoded that horrid drop down list facility again. You , angel, you.

#5 tutu

tutu

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:43 AM

Helene, so you decoded that horrid drop down list facility again. You , angel, you.

Agreed!!!

Also, looking forward to seeing some of the more "junior" dancers—especially after reading their posts on PNB's Facebook.

#6 Fan who rides the bus

Fan who rides the bus

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:50 PM

FYI: the row of chairs in which the dancers sit stage left in Vespers was behind the curtain Thursday for many in the audience on that side of the hall (gallery front, side, and upper; orchestra side seats near the aisle from row P or so back.

#7 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:57 PM

This "3 by Dove + 1" program was also one of the most powerful I've seen in years.

BRAVO!! PNB.

#8 pirouetta27

pirouetta27

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:49 AM

I was able to see 3 By Dove on opening night, and was thoroughly impressed by PNB's level of performance! The same group of dancers was in pretty much every piece, but they looked very strong. I posted a review on my blog here:

http://swissbelle.bl...to-extreme.html

#9 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:04 AM

pirouetta27, were you also there Friday night? I ask because a member of the audience at the Q&A after Friday's performance used the same word you did in your blog "fierce" in a long and somewhat hard to hear comment. Is that a coincidence?

[Later edit.....BTW, I liked your review very much. I feel you expressed in words what I thought I saw with my eyes.]

#10 pirouetta27

pirouetta27

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:08 PM

No, unfortunately I wasn't there on Friday night, since I had to travel out of town on Friday morning. I was grateful that, for this year at least, there are still Thursday night performances!

I wonder why Carla Korbes and Batkhurel Bold were replaced by Seth and Sarah Orza that night...injury, maybe? Especially sad not to see Carla.

#11 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:46 PM

No, unfortunately I wasn't there on Friday night, since I had to travel out of town on Friday morning. I was grateful that, for this year at least, there are still Thursday night performances!

Interesting. This person at the Q&A on Friday kept using the word "fierce" over and over. This lady must have read your blog before coming :)....too much of a coincidence otherwise. (Indeed, her entire comment was strange.....I've never heard anyone go on for so long making a comment. Her hard to hear soliloquy sounded like a critic of ballet companies doing modern.....the entire room got rather uncomfortable wondering if she would ever stop. She certainly never got to a question.)

I wonder why Carla Korbes and Batkhurel Bold were replaced by Seth and Sarah Orza that night...injury, maybe? Especially sad not to see Carla.

I'm not sure what you mean. The casting list shows Carla and Batkhurel dancing both nights. They definitely danced Friday night. They danced Red Angels and Serious Pleasures on Friday, and the cast list shows that they were scheduled to dance Serious Pleasures on opening night. Are you saying that they didn't dance at all on opening night?

#12 pirouetta27

pirouetta27

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 03:11 PM

No, Korbes and Bold didn't dance at all on opening night. They made an announcement shortly before Serious Pleasures that the two of them would be replaced by the Orzas.

#13 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:18 PM

Well, it was unlikely to have been an injury since they danced up a storm the very next night. Illness perhaps? Hot date? :) :lol:

#14 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:18 PM

My understanding is that Korbes had been ill and didn't feel ready to perform on opening night, but was back in form for Friday. I was afraid that she might have been injured (there's always a sinking feeling when the PA system starts up with "ladies and gentlemen" right before a dance is supposed to start).

I was seated a little closer to the woman with the lengthy question on Friday night during the Q/A, and I think I understood the gist of her concern. She is assuming that Quijada's work is based on contact improvisation, a dance practice that puts an incredible emphasis on the egalitarian quality of partnerships, almost to the exclusion of a presentational aspect, and she felt that the dancers didn't fulfill those expectations. I think, though I do not know, that she wasn't really aware that the fusion is between ballet and breaking, which is very presentational, indeed, almost confrontational. I can certainly see how she might miss that distinction, since many of the gymnastics skills that we saw in the work are shared by both styles, but she was right in saying that if this was a contact work, it would not be an especially successful one.

#15 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:30 PM

I was seated a little closer to the woman with the lengthy question on Friday night during the Q/A....

I could not hear her well; I missed much of what she said. So she did eventually ask a question then. Do you remember what her actual question was?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):