This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kennedy Center Season 2010-2011

The Suzanne Farrell Ballet - 2 mixed bills (Balanchine, Robbins, Mejia)

Nov 17 - 21, 2010

The Joffrey Ballet: Nutcracker

Nov 24 - 28, 2010

American Ballet Theatre - Bright Stream, 2 mixed bills

Jan 18 - 23, 2011

Mariinsky Ballet: Giselle

Feb 8 - 13, 2011

Protégés III

Mar 25 - 27, 2011

(Bolshoi Ballet Academy, The Royal Danish Ballet School, New National Theatre's Tokyo Young Artists Training Program, and the Julio Bocca Foundation Ballet Argentino School of the Arts)

New York City Ballet

Apr 5 - 10, 2011

Ballet Nacional de Cuba

May 31 - Jun 5, 2011

The Royal Danish Ballet -- Napoli, The Folk Tale

Jun 7 - 12, 2011

http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/newseason/#DBC

Very excited for RDB and the Cuban National Ballet. I'm surprised/disappointed the Bolshoi isn't coming.

Apropos the Suzanne Farrell Ballet, what is the ballet by Paul Mejia? I keep tellling myself I should know, but the fact is I don't.

I'm curious as well Farrell Fan. Is it a new Mejia ballet or something Farrell actually danced?

I would love to see her revive Mejia's Cinderella.

I now recall that shortly before Farrell retired from dancing at NYCB in 1989, that company put on a ballet by Mejia called Sinfonia Mistica, to the music of the same name by the Polish composer Andrzej Panufnik. I heard about the planned premiere from Suzanne herself one memorable morning as I headed to work on the Second Avenue bus. I was very surprised to see her on the East Side and felt terrible noticing the difficulty she had getting off the bus at the crosstown stop. At any rate, it turned out she was not in Sinfonia Mistica, which I of course went to see. It may have been Judith Fugate who was in it. Maybe that's the ballet. Maybe not.

The page at the Kennedy Center website has been updated:

"The programs feature ballets by Balanchine, including two works fused with music by Igor Stravinsky, the grave and reverential Monumentum Pro Gesualdo and Movements for Piano and Orchestra, which Stravinsky once remarked should have been called "Electric Currents," as well as La Sonnambula, a dance of intrigue set in a shadowy and mysterious masquerade ball. Robbins's In Memory of..., a ballet created for and premiered by Suzanne Farrell, is a poignant struggle between the beautiful earthly soul and death come to take it. The company will perform its first work by Paul Mejia, entitled Eight by Adler. Choreographed for Suzanne Farrell, Eight by Adler is full of the kind of Broadway bravado that wins over audiences and which won Ms. Farrell an Emmy Award for its televised debut."

So it is Eight by Adler. Nice.