62 replies to this topic

#46 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

I voted, too, but for Nicole and Derek. I didn't much care for Derek when I first started watching, but I have grown to love his dancing and, especially, his inventive choreography. Nicole was brilliant last night (as was Pamela).

Also, I considered that every vote not cast for the ever-more annoying Kate was a vote against Kate.

Maybe Evan eats too many carrots. Sometimes when people eat a lot of carrots, they absorb the pigment along with all that Vitamin A.

#47 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:12 PM

Maybe Evan eats too many carrots. Sometimes when people eat a lot of carrots, they absorb the pigment along with all that Vitamin A.

I can attest to that. It's happened to me twice over the last 25 years, but I hardly think that Evan has the time to eat as many carrots as is required to turn orange (I ate 20 to 30 large carrots a day - in summer when they were freshly pulled out of the ground, they were exquisitely sweet and more desirable than any other food). I think he's into bad airbrushed makeup.

I just googled "evan lysacek orange" and came up with this tidbit from February after his gold medal win:

Judging by how bright orange his skin was last night, it also seems that Evan could potentially be a Jersey Shore fan, or at least he goes to the same tanning salon as Snooki.

Full article here: Evan Lysacek Wins Gold, Is Orange

Kate Gosselin can't be voted off the show fast enough for me. She's whiny, self-absorbed, and such a terrible "dancer" that I can't even watch her.

#48 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:02 PM

Results - Elimination Four

Kate/Tony and Pamela/Damian were Bottom Two with Kate and Tony leaving the competition.

It was long past Kate's time to go and I'll leave it at that.

I'm much more interested in the Pamela situation. This is the second time she has been in the Bottom Two even though she is far and away one of the most interesting celebrity dancers on this show. I can only surmise that her hardcore fan base started out weak and hasn't increased in sufficient numbers (outside of Ballet Talk!) since the start. The only good news is that she lives to dance another day. Leaving before Kate would have been a travesty.

#49 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:45 PM

Week Six - Round Five

The scores:

01 26pts Nicole/Derek (samba)
02 25pts Erin/Maks (samba)
03 24pts Chad/Cheryl (Argentine tango)
04 22pts Pamela/Damian (Argentine tango)
05 21pts Evan/Anna (samba)
05 21pts Niecy/Louis (Argentine tango)
05 21pts Jake/Chelsie (samba)

Swing Dance marathon scores (added to other scores):

01 10pts Nicole/Derek
02 9pts Erin/Maks
03 8pts Pamela/Damian
04 7pts Chad/Cheryl
05 6pts Evan/Anna
06 5pts Niecy/Louis
07 4pts Jake/Chelsie

Thoughts:

Pam really needed to come out and set the house on fire tonight but -- alas -- I don't think she really did it. She captured the seductiveness of the Argentine tango but Carrie Ann was exactly right -- the technique below the waist wasn't that crisp. Given that Pam hasn't been polling all that well with the viewers, this may prove to be her swan song. (Loved her in the dark wig, though. It made her look vaguely like Angelina Jolie.)

I find it difficult to enjoy Nicole since, for all intents and purposes, she is a professional dancer.

The competition must be heating up since both the amateur and pro guys were unbuttoning/taking off their shirts at every opportunity.

#50 sidwich

sidwich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:17 PM

This is the second time she has been in the Bottom Two even though she is far and away one of the most interesting celebrity dancers on this show. I can only surmise that her hardcore fan base started out weak and hasn't increased in sufficient numbers (outside of Ballet Talk!) since the start.

Unfortunately, Pam Anderson also has a new pro, and as good as Damian Whitewood is, he's coming into the competition as an unknown. The reality is that many of the established pros have fanbases of their own at this point, so any celeb who is assigned a new pro is at something of a disadvantage out of the gate. For example, Cheryl Burke is a good teacher and choreographer, but she also has a very strong loyal fanbase of her own that keeps whoever her celeb is in the competition for at least a few weeks no matter how poorly he does.

It's actually an interesting conundrum for the producers. I'm pretty sure they've been trying to launch some new pros onto the show for a while, but even though some of them have been excellent, they tend to get booted off the show quickly because it's hard for them to get traction with the fans when they have to compete with the established pros on the show.

#51 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:02 PM

Elimination - Week Six - Round Five:

Jake/Chelsie and Niecy/Louis were the Bottom Two w/ Jake and Chelsie leaving.

I really don't have much to say about Jake other than he placed about where he should have.

Not thrilled seeing Niecy in the Bottom Two. I feel that Louis is completely mismanaging her.

In happier news -- Pam is safe, safe, SAFE!!!

#52 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:33 PM

Week Seven - Round Six:

Individual Scores:

01 30pts Evan/Anna (Argentine tango)
02 27pts Erin/Maks (quickstep)
02 27pts Nicole/Derek (waltz)
04 25pts Chad/Cheryl (waltz)
04 25pts Niecy/Louis (quickstep)
06 24pts Pamela/Damian (waltz)

Team Cha Cha Cha Competition (scores added to the above):

27pts Team Gaga (Chad/Cheryl/Nicole/Derek/Pam/Damian)
24pts Team Madonna (Erin/Maks/Evan/Anna/Niecy/Louis)

Prediction:

I love her to death but tonight may have been Pam's Waterloo. The waltz was decent but unmemorable and she and Damian performed in the middle of the pack. I fear she may get lost in the shuffle.

#53 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:02 PM

Elimination - Week Seven - Round Six

Pamela/Damian and Erin/Maks in the Bottom Two with Pamela/Damian leaving the competition.

Sigh. I hate to see her go as I've really come to love her over the past seven weeks. (And I say that as someone who was no Pam Anderson fan before this.) But, if I'm being honest, I have to say that she had reached the limit of what she was going to achieve under these conditions. I just don't think she would be able to keep up with Evan and Nicole as they drive toward the final.

Oh well, a great effort on her part (and that of her partner) and she certainly did her public image a world of good by appearing on the show.

I had to laugh during the segment where the pros were interviewed and Maks mentioned how some couples make it to the finals and then screw it up in the last week. Gosh Maks -- were you referring to Season 5 and how you screwed it up for Mel B. with that horrible freestyle (thereby letting Helio mug his way to victory?)

#54 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:08 PM

Week Eight - Round Seven:

Ballroom Round

01 29pts Nicole/Derek (foxtrot)
02 28pts Erin/Maks (Argentine tango)
03 27pts Evan/Anna (waltz)
04 23pts Niecy/Louis (Viennese waltz)
05 21pts Chad/Cheryl (tango)

(And it can't be said enough -- please retire "I Got You Babe" for the waltz!)

Latin Round

01 30pts Nicole/Derek (paso doble)
02 26pts Evan/Anna (cha cha)
03 25pts Erin/Maks (rumba)
04 24pts Chad/Cheryl (jive)
05 20pts Niecy/Louis (paso doble)

Totals

01 59pts Nicole/Derek
02 53pts Erin/Maks
02 53pts Evan/Anna
04 45pts Chad/Cheryl
05 43pts Niecy/Louis

Thoughts:

Overall, I thought the night was sluggish and uninvolving until we got to Evan and Anna's "futuristic" cha cha and Nicole and Derek's "50's" paso doble. The latter, in particular, was very strong. Whatever else Derek Hough may or may not be, he sure knows how to choreograph a paso and the incorporation of 50's social dance elements was clever. His partner continues to do nothing for me, especially due to her grim countenance and attitude which suggests nothing more than a convict going to her execution.

I'm not entirely sure who is going but my guess is it will be Niecy. She's hit the same wall Pam hit last week.

Missed Pam this week. The energy level was distinctly lower without her.

#55 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:01 PM

Elimination - Week Eight - Round Seven:

Niecy/Louis and Chad/Cheryl were in the Bottom Two with Niecy and Louis leaving the competition.

I would have preferred for Chad to go before Niecy but truthfully, even if she had made it to next week, I don't think she would have survived. A gallant effort on her part (made more difficult at times by Louis) but she had reached her limit. So, hers was a fair elimination.

I loved how, after Nicole and Derek did an encore of their paso from last night, the camera cut to Vera Wang (who was there to support Evan) begrudgingly standing up to applaud after the rest of the audience was already on its feet. Me-ouch!

Nice to see Kenny Mayne, Jerry Rice and Dance Center back tonight. I like how there is this weird extended family with this show.

#56 perky

perky

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:19 AM

My favorites were the Derek/Nicole Paso and Evan/Anna cha cha as well. I thought the costumes, hair and make-up for those dances were top-notch. Nicole as Betty Page! And when I saw Anna in her white bandage outfit I yelled "She's LeeLoo from The Fifth Element!".
I do enjoy watching Nicole dance. But she came into the competition at such a higher skill level than everyone else that it seems unfair.
An Evan/Anna and Erin/Maks final two with Evan the winner would be my ideal.

#57 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:44 PM

And when I saw Anna in her white bandage outfit I yelled "She's LeeLoo from The Fifth Element!".

Actually, I thought...."wait, is Edyta back"?
The Seattle Times used to publish a weekly blog on DWTS with an "Edyta Nudity Scale" each week. Not sure if they still do it, but very funny. Here is a sampling:

Edyta Nudity Scale: High, with a new twist. Edyta wore pants, but left out the part that usually goes from the hips to the knees. I think the "DWTS" designers make her costumes by creating something kind of normal, and then removing large, random sections.

Edyta Nudity Scale: High. But shockingly Edyta was outdone in this category by fellow pro Karina Smirnoff, who wore a shiny red strappy thing that might best be called a "body thong."

#58 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

Semi-Finals:

Round 1 (Ballroom)

01 30pts Nicole/Derek (Argentine tango)
02 29pts Evan/Anna (foxtrot)
03 27pts Chad/Cheryl (waltz)
03 27pts Erin/Maks (Viennese waltz)

Thoughts: I would agree with the judges' rankings. Nicole and Derek's Argentine tango was the strongest of the four (which it should be given that Nicole is basically a professional dancer) and Evan was quite the showman with his foxtrot. The other two dances were of a lesser quality.

Round 2 (Latin)

01 30pts Evan/Anna (paso doble)
02 29pts Erin/Maks (paso doble)
02 29pts Nicole/Derek (cha cha cha)
04 25pts Chad/Cheryl (samba)

Thoughts: Nicole and Derek's cha cha was a great evocation of a Prince video circa 1986. But was it a cha cha? Totally overscored.

Totals

01 59pts (26.1%) Evan/Anna
01 59pts (26.1%) Nicole/Derek
02 56pts (24.8%) Erin/Maks
04 52pts (23.0%) Chad/Cheryl

Thoughts: As usual, the judges abdicated all responsibility and left it up to the fan bases to duke it out as to who will stay and who will go. My head tells me Chad is just weak enough that he won't make it through tomorrow night. But you never know until Tom announces the results. See you tomorrow!

#59 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:13 PM

Elimination - Semi-Finals

Chad/Cheryl and Erin/Maks were the two couples under the Red Lights of Doom at the end (I never heard Tom Bergeron say "Bottom Two") with Chad and Cheryl leaving the competition.

Chad certainly gave his all over the course of the season but, compared to the other three, he was clearly the weakest at the end. While I agree with Cheryl Burke's not-so-subtle on-air digs (at Nicole, obviously) that the show is (or should be) about people with no dance experience learning how to dance, what's done is done at this point in regard to the casting. Nicole, Evan and Erin earned their places in the Final Three.

I would like to give a special shout-out to Cheryl who consistently gets good results out of her celebrities (with the exceptions of Wayne Newton and Tom Delay, who were lost causes from the get-go):

Season 2 -- Drew (1st)
Season 3 -- Emmitt (1st)
Season 4 -- Ian (4th)
Season 6 -- Cristian (3rd)
Season 7 -- Maurice (5th)
Season 8 -- Gilles (2nd)
Season 10 -- Chad (4th)

I may or may not due a summary for next week as, really, I have very little enthusiasm for this Final Three (ringer Nicole, orange ringer Evan and bundle-of-nerves Erin.) We shall see . . .

#60 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:06 PM

I am so excited that the right couple won! Nicole and Derek truly deserved the win! (Sorry to chime in before the regular reporters of DWTS, but, as I said, I'm so excited!) I think the viewers have become more discerning over the seasons and use the judges' opinions and knowledge to form their own. Having a large fan base may not be something a celebrity contestant can rely on in future competitions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):