This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dancing With the Stars, 2010

Results - Elimination Two:

Buzz/Ashly and Jake/Chelsie are Bottom Two w/ Buzz and Ashly leaving.

Buzz was a gallant competitor but, at 80, he was never going to keep pace with his younger competitors and, sure enough, he didn't. An appropriate elimination.

Thanks for the link. Doesn't surprise me. The least desirable demographic for advertisers is 50+, and the least desirable 50+ers are women. (This holds true in print as well as television.) It's not all that hard to attract older viewers and so the most prized shows are those which appeal to the less easily reached younger set.

I read in today's NY Times that NYCB principal dancer Tiler Peck will be appearing on Dancing w Stars on Tuesday.

In what capacity?

NYCBallet just posted a link on twitter to a short article about Tiler Peck's appearance on DWTS. It says that she and Danny Tidwell will be on as part of the entertainment tomorrow night. They will dance with an ensemble of 12 dancers to a contemporary "number" by Travis wall. Here's the link:

http://www.bakersfield.com/entertainment/l...-with-the-Stars

Week Four - Round Three

Each couple received a score for performance and technique:

01 26+26=52pts Evan/Anna (tango)

02 25+25=50pts Nicole/Derek (rumba)

03 23+24=47pts Pam/Damian (rumba)

04 21+23=44pts Chad/Cheryl (rumba)

05 18+21=39pts Erin/Maks (tango)

06 19+19=38pts Jake/Chelsie (tango)

07 18+18=36pts Niecy/Louis (rumba)

08 15+18=33pts Aiden/Edyta (rumba)

09 14+18=32pts Kate/Tony (tango)

Results - Elimination Three

The not-necessarily-the-Bottom-Two (according to Tom Bergeron) Bottom Two consisted of Aiden/Edyta and Niecy/Louis w/ Aiden and Edyta leaving.

While Kate should have gone, Aiden wasn't going anywhere in the competition so this wasn't an unfair elimination. He wasn't making much progress as a dancer and, for an actor, he was surprisingly unexpressive. It was his time to go.

Niecy and Louis may not have been in the Bottom two in terms of scores but Louis is driving me crazy with his attempts to turn a comedienne into a tragic figure. It's Monique all over again.

So glad Pamela is safe for another week -- loving her.

Sade (the singer) looked and sounded great and Sade (the band) sounded tight.

Tiler Peck's performance was "eh". (Not her fault -- the break dancing in that routine left everything else in its dust.)

What a waste of Tyler Peck. Either the choreographer didn't know how to use her, or had very little rehearsal time with her to throw something together.

How is Kate still there? She is just dreadful. Who is voting for her? Maybe all those kids have their cell phones on redial!

I too, much to my surprise, love Pam.

Results - Elimination Three

The not-necessarily-the-Bottom-Two (according to Tom Bergeron) Bottom Two consisted of Aiden/Edyta and Niecy/Louis w/ Aiden and Edyta leaving.

While Kate should have gone, Aiden wasn't going anywhere in the competition so this wasn't an unfair elimination. He wasn't making much progress as a dancer and, for an actor, he was surprisingly unexpressive. It was his time to go.

Niecy and Louis may not have been in the Bottom two in terms of scores but Louis is driving me crazy with his attempts to turn a comedienne into a tragic figure. It's Monique all over again.

So glad Pamela is safe for another week -- loving her.

Sade (the singer) looked and sounded great and Sade (the band) sounded tight.

Tiler Peck's performance was "eh". (Not her fault -- the break dancing in that routine left everything else in its dust.)

I agree with everything in your post.

Sade is a class act. I much prefer the singers they've had on this season(Sade, Reba) rather than the auto-tuned Disney teen moppets they have featured in the past.

Good for Pam that she got the encore dance!

Once they start to do the dance-off for the bottom two couples and Kate is actually in the bottom then she's a goner. No way will the judges keep her in. Let us hope that is next week. :beg:

I'm really liking all the extra dancing this season. The dance demos from the pro's are great.

Tiler Peck's talent was wasted. She was only featured for maybe 10 or 15 seconds, although I thought Danny was used nicely.

I much prefer the singers they've had on this season(Sade, Reba) rather than the auto-tuned Disney teen moppets they have featured in the past.

I agree. I think ABC went chasing after more youthful singers/groups for a few seasons in the hope that they would draw more younger viewers to the show and thereby improve the almighty 18-49 demo. I don't think that strategy panned out so they appear (at least for the moment) to have gone back to singers with staying power.

Tiler Peck's talent was wasted. She was only featured for maybe 10 or 15 seconds, although I thought Danny was used nicely.

Tiler Peck comments on the Dancing with the Stars experience:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/...tar/#more-89543

Funny how she basically calls out Nicole as a ringer!

Week Five - Round Four

01 29pts Nicole/Derek (tango)

02 27pts Evan/Anna (rumba)

03 23pts Jake/Chelsie (cha cha cha)

04 22pts Erin/Maks (jive)

05 21pts Pamela/Damian (quickstep)

06 18pts Chad/Cheryl (quickstep)

06 18pts Niecy/Louis (jive)

08 15pts Kate/Tony (foxtrot)

Thoughts:

I knew Len would hate Pamela and Damian's quickstep to "9 to 5" when I saw Pamela sitting around for so long at the beginning of the dance.

Glad Niecy got an uptempo number this week.

Is it my TV set or does Evan look very orange?

Kate should go but I can see Niecy, Chad, Pamela or Erin going tomorrow night.

miliosr and others, what did you think of Gia Kourlas's article in today's NY Times?

Cheek to Cheek (And Tongue-in-Cheek)

As such things go, there's quite a tribute to Pamela Anderson. It's interesting to see these things from the perspective of a knowledgeable dance person, which is why I love to read this thread.

Buxom, blond and full of saucy insouciance, Ms. Anderson has said that she had never had a dance lesson in her life. Even so, she is a natural performer, with rhythm, an understanding of when to be subtle or fierce and a sense of how movements connect to create a story. And that’s all accomplished with a tongue-in-cheek self-awareness.

She’s flexible, has great legs and even in high heels could probably run the length of a football field. For a ballroom dancer, that’s key; just as a point shoe creates an extension of the foot, Ms. Anderson’s stilettos achieve the same sensation on the dance floor.

In her mesmerizing rumba last week she floated along so smoothly, lingering in each pose a millisecond too long — this was genius — that her partner, Damian Whitewood, eyes flashing like a desperate Broadway dancer, was the one trying too hard to please. Ms. Anderson may be sexual, but that doesn’t mean that she is cheap. She doesn’t flaunt her sexuality; it’s simply a part of her. Bob Fosse would have loved that.

On the other hand, regarding Kourlas on Buzz Aldrdin and Kate Gosselin: "OUCH!"

The article makes me happy as well. I love how Pam approaches her dancing. She has fun, takes it just seriously enough and doesn't bring any annoying drama. She's a true delight to watch and she actually made me vote for a contestant for the first time in all the seasons of the show. :wub: And yes, I am embarrassed to admit it. I am a grown woman after all, but if it keeps her on the show longer I'll keep doing it.

Niecy disappointed me last night. Jive is not about shaking your ta-ta's but fast and sharp footwork which she lacked.

Kate and her blase and victimized attitude need to go this week, otherwise I fear she'll push Tony over the breaking point and he'll stab her with the heel of her dance shoes.

Kate [Gosselin] and her blase and victimized attitude need to go this week, otherwise I fear she'll push Tony over the breaking point and he'll stab her with the heel of her dance shoes.
I admit to not having to heard of Ms. Gosselin before this article, but there IS a photo of her in the print edition of the paper. It does not appear in the online version.

There is much costuming and lots of long, scraggly, blond hair, all of which tends to obscure the actual body positions. The partner bends slightly to his left, supporting her prone body (dead weight, I think) on his knees and with his hands. She clutches his right arm and shoulder. She looks over her right shoulder at the floor just below her head. Her face shows just a hint of panic and annoyance. Her body is a textbook image of stiff resistance: what not to do when dancing with a partner.

Perky, I think this lady is NOT having a good time on this show -- at least during the dancing bits.

Gosselin's not putting too much into rehearsal time, apparently.

Lysacek is notorious for his orangeosity. Last night it was unusually vivid. He did well and is improving.

I do wish he would not wear that comb-over/down bowl cut hairstyle though. He really is a good looking fellow is spite of the Oompa Loompa skin color, but that hair!

I voted, too, but for Nicole and Derek. I didn't much care for Derek when I first started watching, but I have grown to love his dancing and, especially, his inventive choreography. Nicole was brilliant last night (as was Pamela).

Also, I considered that every vote not cast for the ever-more annoying Kate was a vote against Kate.

Maybe Evan eats too many carrots. Sometimes when people eat a lot of carrots, they absorb the pigment along with all that Vitamin A.

Maybe Evan eats too many carrots. Sometimes when people eat a lot of carrots, they absorb the pigment along with all that Vitamin A.

I can attest to that. It's happened to me twice over the last 25 years, but I hardly think that Evan has the time to eat as many carrots as is required to turn orange (I ate 20 to 30 large carrots a day - in summer when they were freshly pulled out of the ground, they were exquisitely sweet and more desirable than any other food). I think he's into bad airbrushed makeup.

I just googled "evan lysacek orange" and came up with this tidbit from February after his gold medal win:

Judging by how bright orange his skin was last night, it also seems that Evan could potentially be a Jersey Shore fan, or at least he goes to the same tanning salon as Snooki.

Full article here: Evan Lysacek Wins Gold, Is Orange

Kate Gosselin can't be voted off the show fast enough for me. She's whiny, self-absorbed, and such a terrible "dancer" that I can't even watch her.

Results - Elimination Four

Kate/Tony and Pamela/Damian were Bottom Two with Kate and Tony leaving the competition.

It was long past Kate's time to go and I'll leave it at that.

I'm much more interested in the Pamela situation. This is the second time she has been in the Bottom Two even though she is far and away one of the most interesting celebrity dancers on this show. I can only surmise that her hardcore fan base started out weak and hasn't increased in sufficient numbers (outside of Ballet Talk!) since the start. The only good news is that she lives to dance another day. Leaving before Kate would have been a travesty.

Week Six - Round Five

The scores:

01 26pts Nicole/Derek (samba)

02 25pts Erin/Maks (samba)

03 24pts Chad/Cheryl (Argentine tango)

04 22pts Pamela/Damian (Argentine tango)

05 21pts Evan/Anna (samba)

05 21pts Niecy/Louis (Argentine tango)

05 21pts Jake/Chelsie (samba)

Swing Dance marathon scores (added to other scores):

01 10pts Nicole/Derek

02 9pts Erin/Maks

03 8pts Pamela/Damian

04 7pts Chad/Cheryl

05 6pts Evan/Anna

06 5pts Niecy/Louis

07 4pts Jake/Chelsie

Thoughts:

Pam really needed to come out and set the house on fire tonight but -- alas -- I don't think she really did it. She captured the seductiveness of the Argentine tango but Carrie Ann was exactly right -- the technique below the waist wasn't that crisp. Given that Pam hasn't been polling all that well with the viewers, this may prove to be her swan song. (Loved her in the dark wig, though. It made her look vaguely like Angelina Jolie.)

I find it difficult to enjoy Nicole since, for all intents and purposes, she is a professional dancer.

The competition must be heating up since both the amateur and pro guys were unbuttoning/taking off their shirts at every opportunity.

This is the second time she has been in the Bottom Two even though she is far and away one of the most interesting celebrity dancers on this show. I can only surmise that her hardcore fan base started out weak and hasn't increased in sufficient numbers (outside of Ballet Talk!) since the start.

Unfortunately, Pam Anderson also has a new pro, and as good as Damian Whitewood is, he's coming into the competition as an unknown. The reality is that many of the established pros have fanbases of their own at this point, so any celeb who is assigned a new pro is at something of a disadvantage out of the gate. For example, Cheryl Burke is a good teacher and choreographer, but she also has a very strong loyal fanbase of her own that keeps whoever her celeb is in the competition for at least a few weeks no matter how poorly he does.

It's actually an interesting conundrum for the producers. I'm pretty sure they've been trying to launch some new pros onto the show for a while, but even though some of them have been excellent, they tend to get booted off the show quickly because it's hard for them to get traction with the fans when they have to compete with the established pros on the show.