This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

RDB American Tour 2011

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#46 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:28 AM

Indeed! I was very confused for awhile when I first read the pdf as it lists Johan Kobborg as a guest principal. I spent awhile trying to figure out where he was dancing, but I guess they are just putting him in the line-up for prestige since his choreography is being shown?

It seems the cast for the mixed bill is the same both night. I will hopefully be able to attend one night of that and the Amy Watson cast of Napoli (merely going off of Anne's recommendation above since I know little about the current principals!)

#47 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:31 AM

Indeed! I was very confused for awhile when I first read the pdf as it lists Johan Kobborg as a guest principal. I spent awhile trying to figure out where he was dancing, but I guess they are just putting him in the line-up for prestige since his choreography is being shown?

I think the list of dancers is for the whole tour so they won't all necessarily appear in every location.

#48 checkwriter

checkwriter

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:42 AM

There is a special blog for the tour, with contributions scheduled to begin May 20.

#49 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:19 AM

The company has just published a press release about the tour which amongst other things answers the question above about Kobborg's participation:

"Johan Kobborg - who's a principal with Royal Ballet in London - will guest star in in New York June 14th in the part as the teacher in The Lesson by Flemming Flindt."

Also Caroline Cavallo - who officially retired from the company at the end of last year - returns as a guest to dance La Sylphide in San Francisco May 31st and in New York June 18th.

#50 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:07 AM

I see that Caroline Cavallo is American-born and trained. How is she in La Sylphide? Frankly, and meaning no disrespect to Ms. Cavallo, I had been hoping to see a Danish-trained dancer in the role.

#51 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:18 AM

I've been getting an error message when I try to open the press release. Is Gundrun B. coming to New York? If so, what are performance dates? Thanks.

#52 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:33 AM

I see that Caroline Cavallo is American-born and trained. How is she in La Sylphide? Frankly, and meaning no disrespect to Ms. Cavallo, I had been hoping to see a Danish-trained dancer in the role.

I saw her in this role in Copenhagen at the last Bournonville Festival and she was sublime.

#53 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:34 AM

I've been getting an error message when I try to open the press release. Is Gundrun B. coming? If so, what are performance dates? Thanks.

Sorry, I just forgot to put the proper address in - now corrected.

Gudrun Bojesen is certinaly scheduled to be on the tour: she's listed as doing Kobbog's Les Lutins and the Napoli pas de six in Orange County, and according to an interview with her in the current Dance View, she's doing the Pianist in The Lesson at some performances - but none of the Sylphide casts have yet been announced so far as I know (exscept for Cavallo).

#54 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:38 AM

Thanks, Jane.

#55 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:39 AM

I saw her in this role in Copenhagen at the last Bournonville Festival and she was sublime.

Thank you, Mashinka. Of course, just because a dancer wasn't trained in a particular tradition doesn't mean she/he can't embody it. I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

#56 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:04 AM

A little more information, from the Danish version of the press release: Cavallo's James will be Mads Blangstrup (a much-anticipated return to leading roles for him) and the pupil in Kobborg's Lesson will be Alexandra Lo Sardo.

#57 checkwriter

checkwriter

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:35 AM

There's now a free iPhone tour App available.

#58 Anne

Anne

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:02 AM

Thank you, Mashinka. Of course, just because a dancer wasn't trained in a particular tradition doesn't mean she/he can't embody it. I'm really looking forward to seeing this.

I can only aggree to that: she is one of the best sylphs I have ever seen. It is like it is made for her and her fragile yet strong frame. I think the part of The sylph was the one thatt trigged her to go to Denmark. It was her dream part. I myself was very surprised when I saw her the first time as the Sylph, because I had until then considered her a very modern dancer.

#59 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:39 PM

Nickolaj Hübbe interview, Berkeley, June 4, free and open to the public: Cal Performances Lobby Talks

#60 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

Just found casting info for the NYC performances of La Sylphide & The Lesson on their U.S. Tour website. We get Bojeson, Cavello AND Grinder as the Sylphide, Ulrik Birkkjĉr, Marcin Kupinski and Mads Blangstrup as James. No info on Madge or the secondary roles:

http://kglteater.dk/...aspx?sc_lang=en

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):