This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"La Sylphide" -- with heels/character shoes in first act

Does anyone know of a commercially available version of "La Sylphide" where the dancers in the first act wear heels or character shoes instead of slippers? The one I had been using, Peter Martins' staging for the PA Ballet, is no longer usuable (my old tape won't play on new equipment). I liked it so much because it clearly shows the contrast between the heels of Effie and the wedding guests and the pointe work of Sylphs. That's what I'm looking for. I purchased the Paris Opera Ballet version, but the act one dancers are in slippers.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

See if you can find the one done by London Festival Ballet in the 80's......absolutely stunning production. Peter Schaufuss, Eva Evdokimova as Sylph, and a beautiful Effie (whose name escapes me).....it was televised, but not released commercially.

Anyway, Effie wears dark red character slippers and her footwork is highlighted by them. I believe that the other women wear them too in the first act, although theirs are black. They have a small, delicate heel, and no visible cross- or T-strap, (they may have used elastic, although I cannot see any on Effie.)

The costumes were absolutely beautiful, makes all other productions pale, in my opinion.

The Royal Danish Ballet's version with Lis Jeppesen and Nikolaj Hubbe (1988) has the dancers in shoes. The DVD is widely available, and the interpretation said to be exceptionally faithful to Bournonville.

Oh yes! How could I have forgotten!!! (Maybe because I was focussed on Nikolaj???? ) But the Festival Ballet trumps for costumes, although Schaufuss monkeyed around with the choreography some....

Juliet, sounds lovely, but in the teaching environment I'm working in, I must use commercially available materials. I've run into trouble with my own recorded-off-PBS, homemade, etc., tapes and DVDs not playing on the new equipment and the technology department won't support teachers who use non-commercial materials.

I did have to teach "La Sylphide" today using the Paris Opera Ballet recording and I was pleased at my students' very astute questions about why James and Effie danced together, why he could touch her, why was Effie already dressed in James' tartan, etc. I explained that in the Bournonville versions, those are no-no's is putting Effie and her entourage in pointe shoes, which, for me, ruins the entire ballet. I did find a clip or two on YouTube that I could show them with the women in character shoes.

Marcmomus, thanks. I'll look into the RDB recording. I put the question out there because I was so disappointed in the POB version after I bought it. While it's beautiful to watch (love the flying in act ii), it didn't serve my instructional purposes. I just hate to buy something only to find that it's not right, especially since I'm not getting reimbursed from my department.

I agree completely.. bought the POB version when it came out and was sooooo disappointed. (Of course it was my own fault for not reading the liner notes--Lacotte, etc.--) Was most familiar with the Festival Ballet version and so was thrilled to see the RDB one...Lis Jeppesen is absolutely the embodiment of fey...

If you are ever able to see the clips of Kirkland at the NY Library for the Performing Arts, you'll be astounded........she does the jetes off stage right during the reel as if she is thistledown blown on the wind.....

Just for information's sake, showing Effie in one tartan or another is unimportant, from a strictly Scottish point of view. The idea of "family tartan" did not much matter before the "Caledonian Restoration" of the 1850s, led by Queen Victoria, when she fell in love with Scotland (and where better?) Compare the portraits of Scottish chieftains from before then, and marvel that they wear several different patterns of plaid all at once.

Just for information's sake, showing Effie in one tartan or another is unimportant, from a strictly Scottish point of view. The idea of "family tartan" did not much matter before the "Caledonian Restoration" of the 1850s, led by Queen Victoria, when she fell in love with Scotland (and where better?) Compare the portraits of Scottish chieftains from before then, and marvel that they wear several different patterns of plaid all at once.

Regimental Tartans meant something something quite individual before the 19th century fashion took over.

A good explanation of tartan history can be found at http://encyclopedia.stateuniversity.com/pa...723/tartan.html

The reel in La Sylphide with its swirling movements is one of my favourite moments in ballet.

Many almost random responses. THe RDB version with Hubbe Jeppesen and Englund is fabulous-- the diretion is profoundly right, with impetuous movement for James and the Syplph and slightly slowed down complacent in the Mother and Effie and the other people (Gurn excepted -- hes got his own character).

But Thesmar is fabulous -- unbelievably light and silky Yes yes yes, the choreography is too flitty, but Thesmar is by herself a revelation. Jeppesen has wonderful moments, but she ALSO has moments in which she's not quite wonderful; Thesmar never lets you down.

WIsh I'd seen Evdokimova -- the clips of her on youtube in this role are beyond anything by anybody anywhere that I've ever seen.

Juliet, sounds lovely, but in the teaching environment I'm working in, I must use commercially available materials. I've run into trouble with my own recorded-off-PBS, homemade, etc., tapes and DVDs not playing on the new equipment and the technology department won't support teachers who use non-commercial materials.

Commiserations -- I find that as more stuff is available commercially, schools are really shying away from using "personal" (that is pirated!) media, especially in lecture situations.

Don't chuck the POB recording of the Lacotte version, though -- you can use it later if you ever need to discuss contemporary revisions of historical stuff.

Just for information's sake, showing Effie in one tartan or another is unimportant, from a strictly Scottish point of view.

You're right, Mel. But the red v. blue plaids in the POB version are so dominant it makes the whole first act feel like Sharks v. Jets.

Thanks again for all the helpful comments. I will be using the Amazon link above to order the RDB version.