This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts

Posted 05 March 2002 - 06:38 AM

Mention of Tatiana Lichine on another thread made me recall a moment in the late 70s or early 80s when i went to her school in Beverly Hills to do class. walking up to the building, i saw a somewhat pudgy lady in a jogging suit trying to coax a cat out from under a bush; that was her!
we went into the school, where there was a large portrait of her in her youth behind her desk and as I signed up for class, I remarked on it, whereupon she smiled and said perkily: "I used to be Riabouchinska!"

#2 atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 06 March 2002 - 02:02 PM

I saw her when she "used to be Riabouchinska" It was during the '44 - '45 season of Ballet Theatre. She performed in "Graduation Ball" and danced her most famous role of the Prelude in "Les Sylphides". She was not a great technician (she left that to Toumanova)but she had great charm and effervescence, especially in "Graduation Ball" where she and Lichine sparkled. Her "Prelude" was everything I had read or heard about. I really think she was incomparable in this role. So, that little pudgy woman was really quite something at one time!.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):