41 replies to this topic

#16 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

I dont recall anything that bad (prob because I havent seen his R + J).

You didn't see the PBS broadcast? Well, it was AWFUL, even thought Sterling Hyltin was divine despite all. Someone else told me Swan Lake was somewhere in between the badness of R PLUS J and the excellence of his Sleeping Beauty. But I will have to tell you later about that. I do know that Sleeping Beauty really is a fine piece, even with that often-inferior orchestra, but R PLUS J, forget it. If you have to see it, try to get a video, it's not worth 'filling a seat' for.

People may not love (some/all) Martins' ballets but he fills seats.

Yes, well so does the Burger King Sleeping Beauty. And he does not fill seats with anything of his own work except Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake. Do you know anybody who flies in from the West Coast to see 'Friandises' or 'Songs of the Auvergne' or 'Calcium Lite Nite?' (I know, I know, it's 'Light' and 'Night') Yes, most of us do not like much of Peter Martins's work, and we may say so freely.

As far as I can tell, not many Ballet Talkers have seen "Swan Lake" yet so it's presumptious to say that " a lot of other people dont" (sic).

Yes, they have seen it, even if not this time around. It was done in 2004, and I know a LOT of people who saw it and they all hated it.

(sic)

[sic]

#17 Classic_Ballet

Classic_Ballet

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:30 PM

[
You didn't see the PBS broadcast? Well, it was AWFUL, even thought Sterling Hyltin was divine despite all. Someone else told me Swan Lake was somewhere in between the badness of R PLUS J and the excellence of his Sleeping Beauty. But I will have to tell you later about that. I do know that Sleeping Beauty really is a fine piece, even with that often-inferior orchestra, but R PLUS J, forget it. If you have to see it, try to get a video, it's not worth 'filling a seat' for.

no, i didnt see R+J on PBS, i was tempted to go this year, but decided to avoid it at the end.
and yes, i agree, I saw their SB last week and i had a good time, Bouder was fabulous !

#18 DeborahB

DeborahB

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:39 PM

I dont recall anything that bad (prob because I havent seen his R + J).

People may not love (some/all) Martins' ballets but he fills seats.

Yes, well so does the Burger King Sleeping Beauty. And he does not fill seats with anything of his own work except Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake. Do you know anybody who flies in from the West Coast to see 'Friandises' or 'Songs of the Auvergne' or 'Calcium Lite Nite?' (I know, I know, it's 'Light' and 'Night') Yes, most of us do not like much of Peter Martins's work, and we may say so freely.

As far as I can tell, not many Ballet Talkers have seen "Swan Lake" yet so it's presumptious to say that " a lot of other people dont" (sic).

Yes, they have seen it, even if not this time around. It was done in 2004, and I know a LOT of people who saw it and they all hated it.

(sic)

[sic]

Yes, and I saw it then (2004) too. Again, I'm not saying that I love Martins' ballet (as I don't). However, in these tough economic times,
filling seats is important. Perhaps these seat fillers will find their way to better rep at NYCB (or other places).

I do have to say that "Calcium White Lights" is one of the few Martins' ballets that I actually like.
And I can say that freely too.

#19 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:03 PM

OT

Women in ballet are not called, "Ladies."
And I respect everyone's opinions.

Personally I find this nomenclature way less offensive than "girls," which is not infrequently used. Is there some reason it is verboten? I was unaware of this...

#20 Lovebird

Lovebird

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:12 PM

Not to be off yopic, but it is perfectly acceptable and respectful to call the female corps de ballet ladies, I don't think I have ever heard that calling a woman a lady if offensive, rather it is probably the only word to use if you want to be respectful. I find girls very offensive, it is a way of dumbing down these very hard workers and it does not give them the respect they deserve.

#21 Lovebird

Lovebird

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:12 PM

Not to be off topic, but it is perfectly acceptable and respectful to call the female corps de ballet ladies, I don't think I have ever heard that calling a woman a lady if offensive, rather it is probably the only word to use if you want to be respectful. I find girls very offensive, it is a way of dumbing down these very hard workers and it does not give them the respect they deserve.

#22 DeborahB

DeborahB

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:02 AM

Not to be off yopic, but it is perfectly acceptable and respectful to call the female corps de ballet ladies, I don't think I have ever heard that calling a woman a lady if offensive, rather it is probably the only word to use if you want to be respectful. I find girls very offensive, it is a way of dumbing down these very hard workers and it does not give them the respect they deserve.

The female dancers call themselves "girls." Sara Mearns, at the chat last night, said it repeatedly.
And other dancers do the same. Jared Angle kept calling the other men "boys." To me they are men and women which is what I alway say.
Sorry, but they don't call each other "ladies" (ever. I know many of them personally).. I'm just reporting on what is said. However maybe they'd call me "Lady" (since I'm 52). I'd be fine with that, of course.
LOL.

As a 70's feminist,who interrviewed the greats (including the brilliant Andrea Dworkin, Betty Frieden et al) when I was editor of my college newspaper, I too find "boys and girls" slightly
juvenile. However, we can't re-write history. If the dancers are fine with "boys and girls" so am I.

#23 Classic_Ballet

Classic_Ballet

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:38 AM

I am glad to read the opinion of other ballet lovers about the term ladies....
I do know a lot of dancers, not city ballet though, and if there is something that they hate is being called girls, especially when they are in their 30s and in the corps.

I have just read an interview in Time out with sophie flack (which i didnt know, since I dont follow this company) and coincidentally she talks about this and how much the members of the corps of City Ballet hate being called "girls" by Mr Martins, so i guess that says it all........

with http://newyork.timeo...978/sophieflack

#24 Classic_Ballet

Classic_Ballet

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:40 AM

-

#25 DeborahB

DeborahB

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:47 AM

I am glad to read the opinion of other ballet lovers about the term ladies....
I do know a lot of dancers, not city ballet though, and if there is something that they hate is being called girls, especially when they are in their 30s and in the corps.

I have just read an interview in Time out with sophie flack (which i didnt know, since I dont follow this company) and coincidentally she talks about this and how much the members of the corps of City Ballet hate being called "girls" by Mr Martins, so i guess that says it all........

with http://newyork.timeo...978/sophieflack

The ballet dancers at NYCB call each other girls. They do not hate it.
Perhaps in other companies, but not NYCB. Also Sophie Flack's contract was not renewed (by Martins etc. ). She was not happy about it either. This is not gossip but fact. So no, that doesn't "say it all."
But whatever.
It seems to me that we've exhausted this subject.

#26 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:47 AM

Yes, they have seen it even if not this time around. It was done in 2004, and I know a LOT of people who saw it and they all hated it.

PBS broadcast it when it was brand new in 1996, with Miranda Weese stepping in for Kistler at the last minute, and Woetzel as her prince. You might want to watch it at the performing arts library at Lincoln Center and save yourself some money. :)

#27 DeborahB

DeborahB

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:58 AM

Yes, they have seen it even if not this time around. It was done in 2004, and I know a LOT of people who saw it and they all hated it.

PBS broadcast it when it was brand new in 1996, with Miranda Weese stepping in for Kistler at the last minute, and Woetzel as her prince. You might want to watch it at the library and Lincoln Center and save yourself some money. :)

But then ballet-goers wouldn't be able to see Ashley Bouder and Sara Mearns perform the role.
For some of us, seeing them as Odette/Odile is worth the price of admission period, even if you don't like the
Martins' version. Again, I'm not crazy about it either but I would gladly pay to see Ashley and Sara perform the lead role.

I do get that I seem to be the only advocate on this board for this version of SL.
But if you were there last night (as I was), and saw Ashley, you might advocate for attendence too.
Then again, although I didn't like Martins' R&J, I did go many times to see the dancers. The dancers are always worth seeing.

#28 flo

flo

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:14 AM

I haven't seen the current run but I do love the ending of this production. It is very moving and it always makes me cry!

#29 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:19 AM

for accuracy sake, P. Martins's first ballet for NYCB was, and is, entitled CALCIUM LIGHT NIGHT.

#30 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:57 AM

Thanks, as usual, RG, for the correction. For my money, it's his best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):