This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Blog on balletby a male dancer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Henrik

Henrik

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:44 AM

Thought I'd mention my blog here, but please delete it if it is considered commercial. (i make no money on the blog, if it matters)

Http://tightsandtiaras.blogspot.com

A blog on ballet, written by a male dancer with a certain sense of sarkasm.

I wish to enlighten you, my readers, on the world of ballet (or rather the planet ballet, in a galaxy far-far away), with a special weighing on male dancers - you see, there's more too it than you think!!!

#2 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:33 PM

Thought I'd mention my blog here, but please delete it if it is considered commercial. (i make no money on the blog, if it matters)

I wish to enlighten you, my readers, on the world of ballet (or rather the planet ballet, in a galaxy far-far away), with a special weighing on male dancers - you see, there's more too it than you think!!!

Thanks for the heads-up -- you might want to edit your post to change the upper case "H" to a lower case in "http" -- the net can be fussy that way.

#3 zizi

zizi

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:46 AM

I love your site thanks
http://tightsandtiaras.blogspot.com/ this one may work better. :)

#4 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:38 PM

Nice Blog! On the issue of men in ballet, I would think it had gotten easier for boys learning ballet since "Billy Elliot" came out, but apparently not...

#5 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:03 AM

Billy... worked considerable effect in the UK, but I don't know about the rest of Europe. It didn't do the same things in the US, so I suspect that the story had a certain societally-linked factor to it. The 1984 coal strike is not broadly understood outside of the UK, and the movie is as much about that as about "dancing boy".

#6 zizi

zizi

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:01 AM

Billy... worked considerable effect in the UK, but I don't know about the rest of Europe. It didn't do the same things in the US, so I suspect that the story had a certain societally-linked factor to it. The 1984 coal strike is not broadly understood outside of the UK, and the movie is as much about that as about "dancing boy".

I think we need more guys to get famous,Nureyev & baryshnikov had so much exposure in the mainstream ( ugh...) media that for a time ballet was popular even in America.
I hate it that guys have to face this descrimination,we love you guys ,please keep on dancing.

#7 Henrik

Henrik

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:00 PM

thanks guys for nice words! :)

I think Mel is right about Billy elliot - although highly appreciated by the audience in Norway, I don't think it changed much for boys in ballet. I think Billy.. is more about doing what you want, going for your dream, and ofcourse like Mr.Johnson stated - the coal crisis, rather than wanting to take up the issue of men in ballet..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):