This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Reappearance of the 1890 Sleeping Beauty reconstruction

The Vikharev reconstruction of the 1890 Sleeping Beauty is back on the boards

on Feb 19 at the Mariinsky Theatre, according to the Mariinsky website.

I'm glad the production has not been 'retired', as some had predicted.

The casting is no surprise: Alina Somova is listed as Aurora.

But then Shklyarov is Desire and Daria Pavlenko is Lilac Fairy.

The Bluebird pdd is Gumerova and Scherbakov.

The Diamond Fairy Petushkova.

One can only assume the Russians like what Somova does; here in London she opened and closed the season last year and was disliked by critics and audience alike. I saw the last act of her Sleeping Beauty on the final night and the applause was light and brief. The customary flower throw from the audience on the last night of the season didn't happen this time around. Ms Somova is strictly not for export.

One can only assume the Russians like what Somova does; here in London she opened and closed the season last year and was disliked by critics and audience alike. I saw the last act of her Sleeping Beauty on the final night and the applause was light and brief. The customary flower throw from the audience on the last night of the season didn't happen this time around. Ms Somova is strictly not for export.

Ouch!

I do however concur with Mashinka's opinion.

This will be Dasha Pavlenko's first appearance as Lilac in either production (1890, or '52) in five years :bow::):flowers:! It's wonderful that the 1890 is coming back. But, last year this time they announced the 1890, and pulled the 1952 switch at the last minute. Golub danced one performance as Aurora, and then of course, Alina Somova. They may do the same thing again this time, because they will have come home from a series of '52 "Beautys" at Kennedy. I hope they keep the announced production. Oh, how I wish I could be in Peter for this! This is a good example of the Maryinsky's '"TBA" casting policy. They announce the opera and ballet performance schedule at the beginning of the month, sans the leads. One doesn't know who is on until a few days before - and even then they'll switch at the 11th hour before curtain.

Chiapuris wrote:

The casting is no surprise: Alina Somova is listed as Aurora.

Yes, this was deliberate. It's a subscription performance. It was announced at the start of the season last Fall. I don't understand why Shklyarov is chained to her again; and in this (or anything else for that matter). After the "R & J" opening night disaster in London last summer this is inexplicable.

Mashinka wrote:

One can only assume the Russians like what Somova does; here in London she opened and closed the season last year and was disliked by critics and audience alike. I saw the last act of her Sleeping Beauty on the final night and the applause was light and brief. The customary flower throw from the audience on the last night of the season didn't happen this time around. . . .

That's the absolute truth. However, the majority of Petersburg's audience doesn't appreciate Somova's manufactured "prominence" on their stage. The leading lights are Lopatkina, Kondaurova, Obratzova, Vishneva and Tereshkina. Whenever any of these ladies dance it's an event in the artistic life of the city. Increasingly, 1st Soloists Obratzova and Kondaurova are taking their place in this exclusive club. And thankfully, Dasha Pavlenko is slowly but surely making a comeback. Somova, however, remains on the outside looking in. She has her faction, yes, but it isn't large. The coaches may pronounce their displeasure but it doesn't matter. The culprits who determine Somova's schedule are the chief stage manager who is in charge of casting, and the ballet director who rubber stamps his approval - in that order. It's not because Petersburgers are clamoring to see her. Moreover, she is also prominently cast during the Festival season when tourists frequent the Maryinsky Theatre. No doubt, the tourists' response, and box office receipts at home and abroad, have a huge influence on the decisions of the ballet director and the stage manager. This time it looks like Kennedy's box office and her reputation may have impacted the recent decision to subtract one Aurora from her original two in next week's engagement.

Ms Somova is strictly not for export.

This is true. Mariinka.org's forum, the online HQ for Team Somova has been shut down: http://www.mariinka.org/forum/. That sounds like a "farewell" to me. Here are some other examples that may give evidence that a threshold has been reached. I was informed that on Jan 8, Somova appeared with Anastasia Matvienko and Obratzova in the 100th Birthday tribute to Ulanova. That's a travesty full stop. When I first learned this I think I lost two pints of blood. Matvienko was assigned Maria in an excerpt from "Fountain of Bahkshiserai," Somova was given the mad scene out of context from Giselle (good gravy Marie :wallbash:), and the Ballroom segment from "R&J" Act 1 and balcony pdd were given to Obratzova. Reportedly, Obratzova received the highest praise and the greatest floral tribute that night. There's also the consternation that Somova received a Golden Mask nomination for "Little Humpbacked Horse" over Tereshkina. Another example: This past weekend (Jan 29 & 30), a small group of Maryinsky stars appeared at the Northern Lights Festival in Tromso, Norway. The indefatigable Somova didn't go - which is highly unusual because she hardly ever injures herself because of her flex-abilities and she's reportedly rarely ill. Even so, they took the rest of the 'A' Team - along with Obratzova and Kondaurova. Obratzova, Kondaurova and Matvienko each figured prominently during the Baden-Baden Christmas engagement. And now Somova is reduced to one Aurora for Kennedy and Tereshkina, Kolegova and Matvienko will be showcased. Perhaps the numerous embarassments of the past and present have caused some in the management to re-think their position.

I don't understand why Shklyarov is chained to her again; and in this (or anything else for that matter). After the "R & J" opening night disaster in London last summer this is inexplicable.

Agree about Shklyarov, a young man who just gets better and better. He really does deserve partners of a higher calibre

Mariinka.org's forum, the online HQ for Team Somova has been shut down: http://www.mariinka.org/forum/. That sounds like a "farewell" to me.

Very pleased about that, the content on that site was deplorable, goodness only knows why the Kirov organization allowed such junk to exist for so long.

There's also the consternation that Somova received a Golden Mask nomination for "Little Humpbacked Horse" over Tereshkina.

Disgraceful: however Osipova is also in the frame for that award, let's keep our fingers crossed that she wins it.

Obratzova, Kondaurova and Matvienko each figured prominently during the Baden-Baden Christmas engagement.

I gave Baden Baden a miss this time, but a friend who went came back raving over the performances of Obratzova and Tereshkina - cream rising to the top of course.

Re mariinka.org, Mashinka wrote:

Very pleased about that, the content on that site was deplorable, goodness only knows why the Kirov organization allowed such junk to exist for so long.

Unfortunately the shutdown was temporary. The link is back online. "Maryinsky Above The World" isn't a forum, but a solo, one subject (Somova), fan-site blog.

I get this feeling that the Mariinsky management maybe thought that Somova would be very "marketable" to the West. First of all, I think it's a tendency to think that Americans/West Europeans appreciate this kind of "show-bizz" quality, and that same "Hollywood" aesthetic, which Somova has... Also, there is the tradition that the Russian companies maybe feel they have to show something more than what is available from the West. The whole success of this Russian ballet culture was built upon showing things to the West which could only be shown from the Russians, which no Western dancers or companies were capable of. So these days, every major company can produce a great performance of the Sleeping Beauty; maybe the Mariinsky wants to show they have something "different" and "special" in this girl who can do a 180 degrees extension in the Rose Adagio which you don't see in Wstern companies. If that was the case, it was a big misjudgement. Certainly, they seem to have misjudged the tastes of the British critics and public, because Somova's performance wasn't well received at all in London; to the point where Irina Golub was applauded way more than Somova as Juliet. Furthermore, any company really could throw some girl on stage to do 180 degrees extensions in the classics (Monica Mason could just give the role to Melissa Hamilton in RB whose flexibilities are even more than Somova's, for example!). I wonder if now they start to realise that they have made a misjudgement, which was unfortunately harmful to them and also to Somova... She has been surely developed too fast and given too many roles without good guidance; she must be aware of the bad critics she gets and that can't be nice at all for her!

On a completely different (although related) subject, am I right thinking that Alina's sister graduates Vaganova this year??

And, it's great to see Daria Pavlenko is finally getting back her roles! I look forward to seeing her perform some of her best roles again, I hope!