This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mark Morris at BAM -- "Socrates"

According to an interview with Nancy Dalva in the BAM program, as his contribution to The Bridge Project (see below), Mark Morris is creating a 35-minute piece for his entire company to Eric Satie's "Socrate". There will be text and music..

The Mark Morris Dance Group season at BAM will run Feb 23, 25-27 at the Gilman Opera House.

The interview concluded:

ND: You aren't dancing in this season at all. Will we see you dance again?

MM: I just -- I dance less... I'll dance when I need to. But it doesn't kill me not to dance. Sorry. I know it kills other people for me not to dance. But I have a big company, and I make up dances that I love, and then I get to watch them. Hooray, what a great job!

According to an interview with Nancy Dalva in the BAM program, as his contribution to The Bridge Project, Mark Morris is creating a 35-minute piece for his entire company to Eric Satie's "Socrate". There will be text and music..

I have to find that article---I haven't seen it in print--but I will just point out right away that the Mark Morris Dance Company is NOT part of the Bridge Project (Shakespeare in rep) but has its own season in February at BAM, in the Howard Gilman Opera House. (www.bam.org) (www.mmdg.org) "Socrates," as Mark Morris calls his dance is on a bill with a revival of Behemoth and also a NY premiere, "Looky."

Best to all Ballet Talkers, and thanks for the "shout out!"

Nancy Dalva

I apologize -- I thought there was a heading in the printed program above the interview that said "The Bridge Project" and figured the project was bigger than just the Shakespeare. (I forgot to pack it :flowers: )

It was a terrific interview. I hope there is an online link soon.

I apologize -- I thought there was a heading in the printed program above the interview that said "The Bridge Project" and figured the project was bigger than just the Shakespeare. (I forgot to pack it :flowers: )

It was a terrific interview. I hope there is an online link soon.

I know it is confusing the article is in there---BAM uses program articles more as advances to interest audiences in future events than as program notes.

And don't apologize! I am thrilled you read it and liked it---it is part of a much longer interview. You can see more of it on Mondays with Merce next week---in the upcoming episode. Here's the info:

You can find out more about Mark Morris's "Socrates," as he is calling it ( and also "Behemoth," also on that program and his only work made without music ) on the next Mondays with Merce, The Legacy, "Mr Cunningham and Mr Morris, with guest artist Mark Morris"

Mondays with Merce homepage.

This series of webcasts (or webisodes_as they are called) is on line and free to all to see.

You can see more of it on Mondays with Merce next week---in the upcoming episode. Here's the info:

You can find out more about Mark Morris's "Socrates," as he is calling it ( and also "Behemoth," also on that program and his only work made without music ) on the next Mondays with Merce, The Legacy, "Mr Cunningham and Mr Morris, with guest artist Mark Morris"

Mondays with Merce homepage.

This series of webcasts (or webisodes_as they are called) is on line and free to all to see.

I want to add my enthusiasm to this -- the "Mondays" series is very special, and I imagine that Mark Morris was a vivid interview!

(Hi to Nanatchka!)