This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I can't really describe in adequate words how much I love this dvd. Yes, the camera work is bad in spots where you can't see Vasiliev and Maximova at all, but the overall excellence of the performances more than makes up for that.

Finally, we have a complete, live performance of this ballet with the original cast when it was still a new production -- only 2 years old. The cast is in its prime. Liepa and Timofeyeva are superb with marvelous, evil chemistry. But it's really Vasiliev and Maximova that provide the wow factor.

Where do I start with Volodyia? He is completely and intensely immersed in the character of Spartacus -- musically, dramatically and in the choreography. Oh, his dancing! Gasp-provoking virtuosity in his gravity-defying jumps, stunning speed in his turns and acting magnificently all at the same time. Volodyia's masterful control of prodigious gifts prompts amazement in me.

Then there is Maximova who dances as full out as her husband. I much prefer her Phyrigia to Bessmertnova's. Katia brings a range of emotions to her performance: grief, ecstasy, vulnerability, that Bessmertnova doesn't, IMO. She's especially beautiful in the Act III adagio. From the moment she steps out of the tent for her solo to the final embrace at the end of the PDD, Katia is so in tune with the lushness, poetry and drama of the music and with Volodyia. Her lyricism, artistry and technique are so beautiful to behold. How sad it is to think she's no longer with us.

I urge everyone to buy this dvd. You won't regret it. Here is the link to Amazon where I bought mine. Enjoy!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00...p;condition=new

I can't really describe in adequate words how much I love this dvd. Yes, the camera work is bad in spots where you can't see Vasiliev and Maximova at all, but the overall excellence of the performances more than makes up for that.

Finally, we have a complete, live performance of this ballet with the original cast when it was still a new production -- only 2 years old. The cast is in its prime. Liepa and Timofeyeva are superb with marvelous, evil chemistry. But it's really Vasiliev and Maximova that provide the wow factor.

Where do I start with Volodyia? He is completely and intensely immersed in the character of Spartacus -- musically, dramatically and in the choreography. Oh, his dancing! Gasp-provoking virtuosity in his gravity-defying jumps, stunning speed in his turns and acting magnificently all at the same time. Volodyia's masterful control of prodigious gifts prompts amazement in me.

Then there is Maximova who dances as full out as her husband. I much prefer her Phyrigia to Bessmertnova's. Katia brings a range of emotions to her performance: grief, ecstasy, vulnerability, that Bessmertnova doesn't, IMO. She's especially beautiful in the Act III adagio. From the moment she steps out of the tent for her solo to the final embrace at the end of the PDD, Katia is so in tune with the lushness, poetry and drama of the music and with Volodyia. Her lyricism, artistry and technique are so beautiful to behold. How sad it is to think she's no longer with us.

I urge everyone to buy this dvd. You won't regret it. Here is the link to Amazon where I bought mine. Enjoy!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00...p;condition=new

I saw this cast several times in 1969 at the Royal Opera House and it was an extraordinary and unforgettable performance. At the end of act I it seemed that the whole audience roared its approval as one. One of my best night at the ballet.

Thank you Makarova fan for posting I have just bought a copy at £27.00 from Amazon UK.

Thanks MakarovaFan, I've wanted to see this cast for so long and was unable to find a copy of the 1970 performance on VHS or DVD. I'm ordering it NOW!

So glad you and Leonid are ordering it!

I guess this might be a given, but Volodyia's command of the stage is something to behold. Another added plus is that he's blonde, not brown-haired as in the 1977 film. Volodyia looks stunningly handsome and combined with his gorgeous physique - oh my! :wub:

Also, I have a new appreciation for Khachaturian. This score is his masterpeice and Algis Zhuratis's conducting is hard to find fault with.