This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Act I. Spessivtzeva's solo. Coda's diagonal.The who's, where's and when's.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 canbelto

canbelto

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

Ashley Bouder did it:

#17 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,397 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

Ashley Bouder did it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyJUASHGYoM

Thanks for the clip, canbelto. Wasn't this a performance that Bouder did somewhere in Europe a while ago, along with some ofther ballerinas guesting in the same role in a course of several days...? I remember a read about it, and saw a pic of all of them standing next to each other. Did that take place in Italy...? If so, maybe Fracci had something to do with the staging...? I have never seen a clip of the ballet of la Opera di Roma, but la Scalla does the Russian-pique turns version. I wonder if Fracci kept the version she danced in the video with Bruhn. She also seemed to be close to Dolin, from what we saw in the documentary.

#18 canbelto

canbelto

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

Also, Natalia Osipova talked about not being "allowed" to do the Spessivtseva diagonal by her coaches at the Bolshoi in an interview with ballet.co.uk. I can't locate the interview right now but I found that a weird statement.

#19 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,397 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Also, Natalia Osipova talked about not being "allowed" to do the Spessivtseva diagonal by her coaches at the Bolshoi in an interview with ballet.co.uk. I can't locate the interview right now but I found that a weird statement.

Wow...although I wouldn't doubt it. Russians seem to have kept their Giselle untouchable for a long time, and Olga's were latter additions, so I guess they are considered non traditional...? Also, they took place and developed out of Russia, so I guess they have never been performed there...? If you think of it, they neither do Sppessivtzeva's iconic three fish dives of Beauty-(aren't Russians probably the ONLY ones who don't perform them, actually...?)

#20 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,397 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

Wow...although I wouldn't doubt it. Russians seem to have kept their Giselle untouchable for a long time, and Olga's were latter additions, so I guess they are considered non traditional...? Also, they took place and developed out of Russia, so I guess they have never been performed there...? If you think of it, they neither do Sppessivtzeva's iconic three fish dives of Beauty-(aren't Russians probably the ONLY ones who don't perform them, actually...?)

From the Osipova's Giselle at the Royal thread...

"I really like Spessivtseva’s diagonal, more than our traditional turns. But I wasn’t allowed to do it, not yet. If I dance this ballet often and it really becomes part of my repertoire, I will dance the diagonal. My coach thinks that it is an acceptable version, and quite possibly it will be a better and more effective one for me. For the moment, though, it’s better not to do it; there is lots of talk as it is."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):