This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Per NY Times, City Ballet gets a complete fall season!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/07/arts/dan....html?ref=dance

I think this will be great. Now there won't be such a loooonng time to wait between seasons for the ballet.

"Along with adding weeks in the fall the ballet will give up the first two weeks of January (“when everyone is skiing,” Mr. Martins said) and the last two weeks of its spring season in June (“when everybody is at the beach,” he said)."

While this is great news for the ballet, not so sure about the opera...

This may have implications for Morphoses. Wheeldon has relied heavily on NYCB dancers who are available to appear with his company during the fall. Also, I found the statement that the theater will be available for rental during Jan and June a hopeful sign that perhaps some day the Kirov, Bolshoi or Royal Ballet might pay us a visit in NYC.

Does this mean that there will effectively be three seasons, fall (Sept - Oct), Winter (Jan - Feb), and Spring (May-Jun), plus Nuts?

And I agree wholeheartedly with abatt - it would be terrific to see other companies in Koch Theater during the released Jan and June weeks. It's a much happier venue for dance than either the Met or City Center.

Does this mean that there will effectively be three seasons, fall (Sept - Oct), Winter (Jan - Feb), and Spring (May-Jun), plus Nuts?

Yes, according to an email received from NYCB--

In order to schedule a four-week fall season, the winter and spring, which are currently eight weeks in length respectively, will now each be six weeks long. The 2010-11 Season will be:

Fall: September 14 – October 10, 2010

Nutcracker: November 30, 2010 – January 2, 2011

Winter: January 18 – February 27, 2011

Spring: May 3 – June 12, 2011

Standard Series subscription packages will be restructured to reflect the new performance calendar, and renewing subscribers will continue to maintain their current seat locations. Packages for the 2010-11 Season will be sold during a single subscription period for the entire year, and more detailed information will be made available in late spring.

I hope this doesn't mean that they will be charging subscribers for all three seasons at once. If so, I will probably drop my subscriptions.

Perhaps they'll put some sort of multi-payment plan in place. I seem to recall someone allowing subscribers to spread the cost of a subscription over a couple of payments ... can't remember if it was NYCB or Carnegie.

This may have implications for Morphoses. Wheeldon has relied heavily on NYCB dancers who are available to appear with his company during the fall. Also, I found the statement that the theater will be available for rental during Jan and June a hopeful sign that perhaps some day the Kirov, Bolshoi or Royal Ballet might pay us a visit in NYC.

Good point Abatt! That said,

only Wendy Whelan danced with Morphoses at Sadler Wells and at City Center in Fall 2009.

However, a couple more NYCB dancers did dance with Morphoses in Vail in August 2009.

I hope this doesn't mean that they will be charging subscribers for all three seasons at once. If so, I will probably drop my subscriptions.

Perhaps they'll put some sort of multi-payment plan in place. I seem to recall someone allowing subscribers to spread the cost of a subscription over a couple of payments ... can't remember if it was NYCB or Carnegie.

NYCB does allow you to pay (via credit card) in two payments -- one month apart.