This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

RIP Dick/Gus AndrosMemorial service on Sun. March 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:29 PM

I wasn't a student of Mr. Andros, but many friends were... I am a big fan of his web pages: http://michaelminn.net/andros/

However, there doesn't seem to be a thread yet for him here and there surely should be.

Mr. Andros passed away peacefully on December 31, 2009 at Calvary Hospital in the Bronx following a brief struggle with acute leukemia. You may leave messages and find out more about his memorial service on his Facebook page.

Memorial Service for Dick/Gus Andros
"A chance to pay our respects & celebrate the life of an unforgettable man."

Start Time: Sunday, March 7 at 5:00pm

End Time: Sunday, March 7 at 7:00pm

Where: Ballet Academy East

... and my favorite Andros quote:

When everyone in the dance world knows the difference between croise and éffacé, we will have world peace

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,476 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:39 PM

I was never remotely advanced enough to take one of his classes at Ballet Academy East (many years and pounds ago), but I do remember watching them from the corridor with great interest.

RIP, Mr. Andros.

#3 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

Ah...I love his "Andros on Ballet" articles...
RIP Mr. Andros.

#4 liebs

liebs

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

I took class from him when I first came to NYC, back in Richard Thomas's school on Broadway. Sometimes I would get free tickets to ABT from a friend and we would go together. He was a wonderful man.

#5 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

I took class from him when I first came to NYC, back in Richard Thomas's school on Broadway. Sometimes I would get free tickets to ABT from a friend and we would go together. He was a wonderful man.

Dick Andros was indeed a wonderful man. He really loved ballet and worked to share his love and knowledge right until the end. And boy, he could make a person laugh. He will be missed by many.

There is a memorial page on Facebook if anyone is interested. You can search Facebook for Dick Andros memorial page or use this link.

http://www.facebook....1...2642&ref=ts

#6 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:36 PM

Dick Andros was indeed a wonderful man. He really loved ballet and worked to share his love and knowledge right until the end. And boy, he could make a person laugh. He will be missed by many.

There is a memorial page on Facebook if anyone is interested. You can search Facebook for Dick Andros memorial page or use this link.

http://www.facebook....1...2642&ref=ts

What a wonderful teacher he was! His class was always a challenge, but such fun to do. (if you could do it!) His love of ballet was a given. And his sense of the history of the art form was always a joy to read about. Anyone lucky enough to have studied with him came away richer for it. And what an incredible human being he was! Generous to a fault and always happy to see you in class, even if you had been away from the barre for awhile. He will be missed but remembered with great affection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):