Mariinsky New Year's Eve Performance onlineLa Bayadere Act 3, Paquita Grand Pas

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 hydraulix

hydraulix

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:08 PM

It was really breathtaking! Wow Tereshkina is such a beautiful ballerina! Such poise, elegance, style and perfect as Nikiya. Sarafanov has a great technique as well.
I'm really impressed by Somova by the way (some others don't agree with me), but she showed more much more maturity. I've seen her Dulcinea which was also a delight to watch. Ofcourse there's still room for improvement with Somova, but I love her spark.

#17 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

Well ... Veronika Part as Nikya started off with the ghostly, severe look. As she continued to dance with her Solor (Gomes) you could see her face change, and at the end of their pas de deux she raised her arms, almost as in triumph, and her face was a smile. Not a happy silly perky grin but that of a woman who had overcome and forgiven. It reminded me almost of an Olympic gold medalist on the medal stands. It was an unforgettable performance.

#18 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:26 PM

That's by far the best dance with the veil that I've ever seen -- Tereshkina is out of this world.

but Sarafanov made me cry -- it's not just his technique, there's a sweet boyishness in his character that comes through at every level, especially in his MOST difficult steps, that final circle of double assemble tours was just pell-mell running, with gorgeous exclamation points of tours along the way, and the VERY end of his variation, I can't stand it, it's so beautiful, the way he falls out of that tour and pushes up into that pose, a spasm of grief -- incredible artistry in that, it's the sort of thing Margot Fonteyn would have done with a moment like that -- you never see the preparations, you only see the emotion.

His placement is as refined as any ballerina's -- all the more visible because we get to see his waist naked, it's so quiet and calm, no matter what he's doing. Look at the diagonals of grands jetes, esp those in attitude croisee....... the waist is so calm, so vertical.

And his hands -- look how he presents her in her final pose, and releases his right hand to sweep it back to echo her line. His hands when he's partnering her remain so soft.

#19 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:28 AM

Somova also looks much better than usual -- lots of lovely detail in her first entrance. I hear she's been coached by Terekhova -- saw some (of Ketinoa's footage?) of Terekhova giving her a LOT to work on. But the harp solo is still a long way shy of being really deep, like

But Kondaurova's the best thing about Paquita.

LOVE the way they close the show with Glinka's great mazurka from "A Life for the Tsar"

#20 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,139 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

That's by far the best dance with the veil that I've ever seen -- Tereshkina is out of this world.

I cannot believe how seamlessly she transfers the veil from one hand with her hands in high fifth during the turns.

His placement is as refined as any ballerina's -- all the more visible because we get to see his waist naked, it's so quiet and calm, no matter what he's doing. Look at the diagonals of grands jetes, esp those in attitude croisee....... the waist is so calm, so vertical.

And his waist is so calm and so vertical in the huge split tour jetes!

#21 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:00 PM

And his waist is so calm and so vertical in the huge split tour jetes!

The costume does let you see all that...

But does anyone else have trouble taking anyone seriously who is wearing it? I find it truly ludicrous. :wub:

#22 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:11 PM

Well ... Veronika Part as Nikya started off with the ghostly, severe look. As she continued to dance with her Solor (Gomes) you could see her face change, and at the end of their pas de deux she raised her arms, almost as in triumph, and her face was a smile. Not a happy silly perky grin but that of a woman who had overcome and forgiven. It reminded me almost of an Olympic gold medalist on the medal stands. It was an unforgettable performance.

my feelings, too. I could not help comparing Tereskina to Part. I kept waiting for some rapport between Tereskina and Saranof, but it never came. I have seen little improvement in Somova---she still has the persona of a chorus girl in an old Hollywood movie. Such a crime to see Kondorouva taking second place to her.

#23 elena

elena

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 07:00 AM

I know this is an old thread, I hope it is not against the rules to post in it. I was just wondering if there was a way to view this still? I saw clips on youtube and went on a google search and ended up here though the link is expired it seems. :( Guess I missed a wonderful thing because the clips of the shades act with Tereshkina and Sarafanov on youtube are amazing...

#24 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,139 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:04 PM

It's definitely not a problem to revive old threads. (If there's an issue with them, we "lock" them, which means you'd get an error message if you tried to post.) However, any links -- to videos, audio files, or text -- can expire, be deleted, or the original poster may have lost a domain, which is more of a risk the older the links are.

I'm afraid there have been several posters whose entire set of uploads was deleted from YouTube because of copyright issues with a subset of them, and this may have been either a copyright issue or a case of the baby being thrown own with the bathwater.

Does anyone know if they've been re-posted on YouTube?

#25 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

Helene and Elena, videos of both Paquita and La Bayadere are on Youtube. I embedded videos of Paquita down in a later post.

La Bayadere

#26 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,139 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:39 PM

Many thanks, MRR!

#27 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:48 PM

Paquita

There is also one more video on youtube of the Vaganova Academy students (dancing at the beginning of this ballet) in case anyone wanted to see it.

#28 elena

elena

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:54 AM

Thank you very much MRR! I did not expect someone to have them but thought it couldn't hurt to ask :) I wish we had things like this on our tv in Puerto Rico...

#29 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

Helene and Elena, you're welcome. I just edited my post with the embedded Bayadere videos because I found the video with the entrance of the Shades as well.

#30 elena

elena

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:10 AM

Helene and Elena, you're welcome. I just edited my post with the embedded Bayadere videos because I found the video with the entrance of the Shades as well.

So beautiful! I love the entrance so much always... I also enjoyed Yana Selina and Kondaurova a lot in the Paquita videos, thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):