This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Does anyone else have the Mariinsky Nutcracker Bluray? I just received this and watched it on my big tv and was struck by a notable item: It seems like they mix HD and upconverted SD video! The closeup and medium shots are clearly HD cams, as is the robocam (or whatever that floating steadycam-like camera); but the longer shots look absolutely awful, as if it were an SD cam and upconverted to HD. It is dull and muddy and all the clarity and brilliance of the other shots are totally missing. Has anyone else noticed this or know the reason behind this?

I mean, I understand having SD EXTRAS (The Nutcracker Story), but mixing quality of footage like this is really irritating... almost as much as the terrible camera work! (heh)

-goro-

Does anyone else have the Mariinsky Nutcracker Bluray? I just received this and watched it on my big tv and was struck by a notable item: It seems like they mix HD and upconverted SD video! The closeup and medium shots are clearly HD cams, as is the robocam (or whatever that floating steadycam-like camera); but the longer shots look absolutely awful, as if it were an SD cam and upconverted to HD. It is dull and muddy and all the clarity and brilliance of the other shots are totally missing. Has anyone else noticed this or know the reason behind this?

I mean, I understand having SD EXTRAS (The Nutcracker Story), but mixing quality of footage like this is really irritating... almost as much as the terrible camera work! (heh)

-goro-

As a followup, I found an amazon reviewer that noticed the same thing as I did and so I will consider this confirmed.