This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker on despite dangerous travel restrictions.

Philip

This is the note from TWB website:

"!Please note: TWB's Saturday, December 19th performances of Septime Webre's The Nutcracker are currently scheduled to go on as planned. Any patrons who cannot attend these performances due to the inclement weather conditions will be entitled to refunds or exchanges into other 2009 Nutcracker performances. In order to facilitate an exchange or a refund, please contact your point of purchase. Thank you."

and from their Facebook page...

"The show will go on! Despite the threat of inclement weather on Saturday, December 19, all Nutcracker performances will take place as scheduled. Don't have tickets yet? Great seats are available, but hurry, they're going fast!"

Here are my Facebook responses:

Hmm? As a founding member of the company, it is this exact kind of decision making that makes me continually question the wisdom of the current reigning management.

Considerations of justifying payroll for dancers, orchestra (if they used one), staff, theatre and crew, along with facing the necessity of refunding or reticketing the audience are usually the reason for not canceling - and a quite understandable and necessary single determinant. Indeed, the prospect of loss of income is harrowing. But, the question I have is, should not such considerations be trumped for the safety of the same, not to mention any audience that wishes to brave such a trip? Isn't just getting to the theatre "harrowing"?

Yes, there is Metro and most major roads are clear. (Nope! They are canceling both train and bus service as of 1pm.) But, we are talking about around a hundred personnel working on site. We are talking about a weather situation where even the sidewalks are dangerous, the roads perilous and transportation unreliable.

Things have changed at WB, but weather is weather. Money or safety? Hmmm?"

&

"This seems to be a finanacial decision. Revenues, payroll, and contracts that demand payment. Warner Theatre isn't about to "call" the show closed. If they did, they lose the rent TWB pays them. So, danged if the company is gonna call it, because if they do, they don't get the tax loss even as a 501c3!

Ergo: finance trumps safety. As an ex-director, I understand the predicament. But, erring on the side of care for stakeholders always pays off in the long run. I pray that in the next couple of hours that they realize this, particularly when literally -no- other event in DC is ongoing."

They canceled tonight's performance just now. Thank goodness for all involved. Ticket-holders are being offered exchanges or refunds. From Facebook:

TWB has canceled tonight’s (Saturday, December 19)

7PM performance of The Nutcracker

at the Warner Theatre due to the inclement weather. The Ballet encourages all

patrons with tickets to this performance to exchange into another 2009 Nutcracker

performance, as this DC holiday tradition continues through December 27

(a co...mplete listing of remaining performances is on our web site). Those who

cannot attend another performance will be entitled to a refund, and

patrons should contact their point of purchase for any refunds or exchanges.

Any additional updates will be posted online.

The matinee at 2PM is still on.

And from washingtonballet.org:

"!Please note that TWB's Saturday, December 19 7 PM evening performance of The Nutcracker is canceled due to the inclement weather. All patrons with tickets to this performance are encouraged to exchange their tickets for another upcoming Nutcracker performance. Refunds are also available, and patrons must contact their point of purchase for either an exchange or a refund. The Saturday, December 19th 2 PM matinee performance will go on as planned, but patrons who cannot attend this performance due to the inclement weather are also entitled to refunds or exchanges, available by contacting their point of purchase. For more information on donating your tickets for a tax deduction, please contact Steven Kirkpatrick at skirkpatrick@washingtonballet.org. All Sunday, December 20 performances will take place as scheduled."

Finally, a wise decision. Bravo. I applaud TWB management coming to its senses! Hopefully there will be marvelous performances (or at least an evening performance) tomorrow. " Merde" (meaning "Bonne Chance" - not the vernacular) for a great rest of the "Nutz" season, folks.

-P