This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mark Morris Interview

Mark Morris is interviewed in The Jerusalem Post:

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid...icle%2FShowFull

Beyond his work on stage, Morris is an influential community leader in his area. Before he opened the doors to his dance school, there were few places for children to study ballet and modern dance in Brooklyn. When MMDG extended its activities to include a youth program, the response was enthusiastic. "We have a great building with seven studios," Morris said. "I have 800 little kids who are studying in our school. I couldn't dream of anything better than that." Despite a somewhat nonchalant tone in his voice, the effort necessary for MMDG to continue to blossom is clearly felt by Morris. "Keeping it all going is a lot of work. It takes a lot of energy to keep people going and to keep the quality high. I have to maintain a kind of dynamic energy that keeps people alert and engaged. And as you get older that gets harder," he explained.

An interview in the Telegraph.

At a talk he [Morris] gives as part of the MMDG’s season at the Brooklyn Academy, he was asked whether he saw himself as a ballet or contemporary choreographer. “I make up dances,” he replied. “If nobody comes to your shows, then it’s modern dance. If everybody comes to your shows and no one likes it, is that ballet? I don’t know.”