• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:42 AM

Just got informed that Orange County Performing Arts Center has got tix to La Bayadere available to members. Public should be able to buy soon (January?)
. . .
-goro-

Tickets for the general public for the Bolshoi's Don Q go on sale Sunday, January 10:
http://www.ocpac.org...a...57&NavID=91

Last year, they sent me e-mails a week or so before public sales with an opportunity to order early, but that hasn't happened yet. Apparently, those went to people who had previously bought tickets for a dance performance, as I'm not a subscriber nor member of OCPAC.

This seems to be the year for full-length Don Q's. Festival Ballet is doing two performances at the UCI Barclay Theatre March 20-21: http://www.festivalb...g/fbt/donq.html
Gillian Murphy and Marcelo Gomes from ABT will take the leads.

#17 iczerman

iczerman

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:18 AM

As far as I know, Maria is one of the most reliable dancers around...I rarely hear about her missing a show or being out for injury, so I wouldn't worry about her being able to do both shows. However I am no expert! I don't even know which day I'll be going yet (though probably Friday night and the Saturday matinée for Osipova), though I will certainly be on board for her as she is a favorite. Lobukhin is fantastic as well...I saw him in DQ with Diana Vishneva last year, and from youtube clips he has only gotten better and better since then. I think they will be great together.

Thanks for your prompt reply and your advice! I'm a newbie...so I need all the help I can get!

#18 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:48 PM

I got an e-mail today for early purchase of tickets to the OCPAC Bolshoi. These e-mails seem to go to everybody who has ever bought a ticket to dance at OCPAC, as I haven't purchased anything there this season, nor am I a subscriber, nor a member of OCPAC. Tickets to the general public go on sale Sunday, January 10.

Prices are $24-121. I love their on-line seat selection. You can choose exactly what you want from a diagram, see a video showing your view, and change your mind repeatedly. Huge areas of the theatre are already sold out; I'm guessing those are subscribers, as public sales haven't yet started.

#19 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:22 PM

OCPAC's on-line magazine, with an article about the Bolshoi's Don Q, just arrived by e-mail, although it doesn't seem to have any information readers of this site don't already know:
http://www.ocpac.org.....oi-Don Q.html

#20 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:54 PM

I am confused though...is that Mikhail Lobukhin from the Mariinsky dancing with Maria Alexsandrova?? There is no Lobukhin on the Bolshoi website that I can see or have really heard of before (that I can remember). What is going on here?!

Mikhail Lobukhin is listed on the Bolshoi's website now as a principal. He hasn't disappeared (yet) from the Mariinsky's site though.

#21 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:28 PM

Well cinnamonswirl posted this article in the Kennedy Center thread, so I'll throw it in here as well since it concerns this visit: Zakharova injured. I bet we'll see one of the existing casts move to opening night and another new cast put on one of the weekend matinees. I'd imagine they want a "name" for the reviews. I called OCPAC today and they don't know who will be replacing her yet.

#22 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:34 PM

Just to update, I've heard student rush may be only available on weekdays due to how well it's selling. Who knows, that may just be a PR move...they certainly don't like to leave seats unsold if possible and I've never not seen a rush during a ballet residence.

Like I guessed, Osipova/Vasiliev will be on the first night to replace Zakharova. With how deep the ballerina ranks are at the Bolshoi (or are in my estimation) this is almost disappointing.

#23 YID

YID

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:27 AM

enjoy - casting and program notes
http://www.ocpac.org.....Q Program.pdf

#24 iczerman

iczerman

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:11 AM

I hereby nominate Maria Alexandrova for the Iron Ballerina Award for dancing DonQ three nights in a row.

My buddy and I are going friday night. Is it bad form to take binoculars to a ballet performance?

#25 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:47 AM

Is it bad form to take binoculars to a ballet performance?

It's pretty common practice and I'm not aware of any issues associated with this. So go ahead and enjoy!

#26 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:50 AM

. . . My buddy and I are going friday night. Is it bad form to take binoculars to a ballet performance?

You see plenty of people with opera glasses. I don't imagine anybody would be bothered by binoculars. But OCPAC-Segerstrom has great sightlines and views from anywhere in the house -- it's one of my favorite theaters for dance. You probably won't need the binoculars.

#27 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:36 PM

. . . OCPAC-Segerstrom has great sightlines and views from anywhere in the house -- it's one of my favorite theaters for dance. You probably won't need the binoculars.

I agree :). I've never felt the need to rent binoculars at Segerstrom. Of course, it depends on the seat you've booked.
In other theaters and opera houses, binoculars are a must.

#28 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:04 AM

More casting changes were just announced in the LA Times:
http://latimesblogs....formances-.html

Alexandrova won't make the trip, due to a family emergency. She'll be replaced by Marianna Ryzhkina, dancing with Mikhail Lobukhin

#29 iczerman

iczerman

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:31 AM

More casting changes were just announced in the LA Times:
http://latimesblogs....formances-.html

Alexandrova won't make the trip, due to a family emergency. She'll be replaced by Marianna Ryzhkina, dancing with Mikhail Lobukhin

Maria has just gone up one notch in my book.....she has her priorities straight!

#30 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:42 PM

I hate the term "family emergency," especially when the family member has to fly halfway around the world to tend to the loved one/s.

I hope everything resolves favorably for Maria and dher family.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):