This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Osipova at OCPAC in FebNatalia Osipova dancing La Bayadere* changed to DonQ

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:42 AM

Just got informed that Orange County Performing Arts Center has got tix to La Bayadere available to members. Public should be able to buy soon (January?)
. . .
-goro-

Tickets for the general public for the Bolshoi's Don Q go on sale Sunday, January 10:
http://www.ocpac.org...a...57&NavID=91

Last year, they sent me e-mails a week or so before public sales with an opportunity to order early, but that hasn't happened yet. Apparently, those went to people who had previously bought tickets for a dance performance, as I'm not a subscriber nor member of OCPAC.

This seems to be the year for full-length Don Q's. Festival Ballet is doing two performances at the UCI Barclay Theatre March 20-21: http://www.festivalb...g/fbt/donq.html
Gillian Murphy and Marcelo Gomes from ABT will take the leads.

#17 iczerman

iczerman

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:18 AM

As far as I know, Maria is one of the most reliable dancers around...I rarely hear about her missing a show or being out for injury, so I wouldn't worry about her being able to do both shows. However I am no expert! I don't even know which day I'll be going yet (though probably Friday night and the Saturday matinée for Osipova), though I will certainly be on board for her as she is a favorite. Lobukhin is fantastic as well...I saw him in DQ with Diana Vishneva last year, and from youtube clips he has only gotten better and better since then. I think they will be great together.

Thanks for your prompt reply and your advice! I'm a newbie...so I need all the help I can get!

#18 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:48 PM

I got an e-mail today for early purchase of tickets to the OCPAC Bolshoi. These e-mails seem to go to everybody who has ever bought a ticket to dance at OCPAC, as I haven't purchased anything there this season, nor am I a subscriber, nor a member of OCPAC. Tickets to the general public go on sale Sunday, January 10.

Prices are $24-121. I love their on-line seat selection. You can choose exactly what you want from a diagram, see a video showing your view, and change your mind repeatedly. Huge areas of the theatre are already sold out; I'm guessing those are subscribers, as public sales haven't yet started.

#19 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:22 PM

OCPAC's on-line magazine, with an article about the Bolshoi's Don Q, just arrived by e-mail, although it doesn't seem to have any information readers of this site don't already know:
http://www.ocpac.org.....oi-Don Q.html

#20 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:54 PM

I am confused though...is that Mikhail Lobukhin from the Mariinsky dancing with Maria Alexsandrova?? There is no Lobukhin on the Bolshoi website that I can see or have really heard of before (that I can remember). What is going on here?!

Mikhail Lobukhin is listed on the Bolshoi's website now as a principal. He hasn't disappeared (yet) from the Mariinsky's site though.

#21 ksk04

ksk04

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:28 PM

Well cinnamonswirl posted this article in the Kennedy Center thread, so I'll throw it in here as well since it concerns this visit: Zakharova injured. I bet we'll see one of the existing casts move to opening night and another new cast put on one of the weekend matinees. I'd imagine they want a "name" for the reviews. I called OCPAC today and they don't know who will be replacing her yet.

#22 ksk04

ksk04

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:34 PM

Just to update, I've heard student rush may be only available on weekdays due to how well it's selling. Who knows, that may just be a PR move...they certainly don't like to leave seats unsold if possible and I've never not seen a rush during a ballet residence.

Like I guessed, Osipova/Vasiliev will be on the first night to replace Zakharova. With how deep the ballerina ranks are at the Bolshoi (or are in my estimation) this is almost disappointing.

#23 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:27 AM

enjoy - casting and program notes
http://www.ocpac.org.....Q Program.pdf

#24 iczerman

iczerman

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:11 AM

I hereby nominate Maria Alexandrova for the Iron Ballerina Award for dancing DonQ three nights in a row.

My buddy and I are going friday night. Is it bad form to take binoculars to a ballet performance?

#25 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:47 AM

Is it bad form to take binoculars to a ballet performance?

It's pretty common practice and I'm not aware of any issues associated with this. So go ahead and enjoy!

#26 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:50 AM

. . . My buddy and I are going friday night. Is it bad form to take binoculars to a ballet performance?

You see plenty of people with opera glasses. I don't imagine anybody would be bothered by binoculars. But OCPAC-Segerstrom has great sightlines and views from anywhere in the house -- it's one of my favorite theaters for dance. You probably won't need the binoculars.

#27 Cygnet

Cygnet

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:36 PM

. . . OCPAC-Segerstrom has great sightlines and views from anywhere in the house -- it's one of my favorite theaters for dance. You probably won't need the binoculars.

I agree :). I've never felt the need to rent binoculars at Segerstrom. Of course, it depends on the seat you've booked.
In other theaters and opera houses, binoculars are a must.

#28 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:04 AM

More casting changes were just announced in the LA Times:
http://latimesblogs....formances-.html

Alexandrova won't make the trip, due to a family emergency. She'll be replaced by Marianna Ryzhkina, dancing with Mikhail Lobukhin

#29 iczerman

iczerman

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:31 AM

More casting changes were just announced in the LA Times:
http://latimesblogs....formances-.html

Alexandrova won't make the trip, due to a family emergency. She'll be replaced by Marianna Ryzhkina, dancing with Mikhail Lobukhin

Maria has just gone up one notch in my book.....she has her priorities straight!

#30 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:42 PM

I hate the term "family emergency," especially when the family member has to fly halfway around the world to tend to the loved one/s.

I hope everything resolves favorably for Maria and dher family.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):