This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Osipova at OCPAC in Feb

ksk04

I got an email today from OCPAC showing the Bolshoi as bringing Don Quixote to the center, instead of the previously announced La Bayadere (though the website still says La Bayadere but now has a Don Q picture next to it). All the leaflets I have seen at the center have shown pics from the Shades of La Bayadere so I guess this is a recent development.

Wonder why the change? We had the Mariinsky here last season with both Don Q and Giselle...and now this year the only classical companies are bringing the same stuff: ABT with Giselle and the Bolshoi with Don Q. A touch overkill methinks...especially because I can't even remember the last time La Bayadere toured here.

Exactly the same sentiments here. And that is actually the reason I logged on to Ballet Talk. I too would rather see "La Bayadere", especially after Kirov-Mariinsky "Don Quixote" last year and "Tour de force" in May featuring Osipova doing some "Don Quixote" pieces.

Bolshoi web site still shows "program to be announced at a later date" for Orange County and "Spartacus" in Washington, D.C.

I would love to see their "Spartacus" too.

An inquiry to the box office confirms the change to Don Q. The woman I spoke to said the change came from the Bolshoi not the center, they didn't give a particular reason when they decided to change it, it happened very recently, and that she too was looking forward to a showing of La Bayadere.

I doubt we would get Spartacus even if they changed the program again...I don't think they could strike the sets from the Kennedy Center and get them across the country in the time frame they have between the two dates.

Just got informed that Orange County Performing Arts Center has got tix to La Bayadere available to members. Public should be able to buy soon (January?)

Wed Feb.24 - Zakharova, Volchkov

Thurs Feb.25, Sat Mat 27, Sun Mat 28 - Osipova, Vasiliev

Fri Feb.26, Sat Night 27 - Aleksandrova, Lobukhin

I got my tix for the 24th, 27th, and 28th. about $600 for the tix. ouch.

But it'll definitely be worth it!

See you there?

-goro-

Looks like she's bringing a little contingent called "Bolshoi" with her. :)

Interestingly, I could find no mention on OCPAC's website of the production/s. There are photos of Don Q, but no title in digital print. :huh: Strange. If the fare is Bayadere, wouldn't the cast list include Gamzatti? Perhaps that info is available on hard copy brochures and mailings.

Interestingly, I could find no mention on OCPAC's website of the production/s. There are photos of Don Q, but no title in digital print. :huh: Strange. If the fare is Bayadere, wouldn't the cast list include Gamzatti? Perhaps that info is available on hard copy brochures and mailings.

LOL.

You are correct. When they first announced the season's lineup, they had Bolshoi La Bayadere (no cast info). Now that there is cast info, there's no indication of the performance and I just assumed it was still the same. I wonder if they have changed it to Don Q. I will call today and find out.

curiously, the Sunday tickets were extremely expensive. $140/seat in orch. Sat were $120. Any ideas why?

thx

-goro-

Interestingly, I could find no mention on OCPAC's website of the production/s. There are photos of Don Q, but no title in digital print. :thumbsup: Strange. If the fare is Bayadere, wouldn't the cast list include Gamzatti? Perhaps that info is available on hard copy brochures and mailings.

LOL.

You are correct. When they first announced the season's lineup, they had Bolshoi La Bayadere (no cast info). Now that there is cast info, there's no indication of the performance and I just assumed it was still the same. I wonder if they have changed it to Don Q. I will call today and find out.

curiously, the Sunday tickets were extremely expensive. $140/seat in orch. Sat were $120. Any ideas why?

thx

-goro-

I just got off the phone with OCPAC and they told me that "it has been changed to Don Quixote." I'm a bit disappointed since I've already seen Osipova in Don Q when i was in Moscow, and i was really looking forward to Bayadere, but still, I'll be able to see her 2 or 3 times with Vasiliev and I have never seen Zakharova live.

-goro-

What? You're missing Alexandrova? I like Osipova a lot, but I think Alexandrova's the class act among the three.

I look forward to your report/s.

Spaced that. Actualy I'm also seeing the 27th evening performance with Alexandrova. I might be totally Don Q'd out that week. Last time I did something like this, I went to see The Royal Ballet do Sleeping Beauty 4x in 3 days (and nights) and of course now my memory of it is a total melange.

heh.

-goro-

Just to update, here are the announced casts on the website:

Feb.24 - Zakharova, Volchkov

Feb.25, 27 (mat), 28 - Osipova, Vasiliev

Feb.26, 27 (eve) - Aleksandrova, Lobukhin

I am confused though...is that Mikhail Lobukhin from the Mariinsky dancing with Maria Alexsandrova?? There is no Lobukhin on the Bolshoi website that I can see or have really heard of before (that I can remember). What is going on here?!

AAHEMMMMMM...

After doing a little research on Youtube....I maybe will change my mind and see Maria Alexandrova. But I have a dilema...Should I see her Friday night or Saturday night?

Friday night she may be conserving energy for Saturday night.....

Saturday night...she may be a little pooped out from the night before....

Maybe ksk04 can advise?

As far as I know, Maria is one of the most reliable dancers around...I rarely hear about her missing a show or being out for injury, so I wouldn't worry about her being able to do both shows. However I am no expert! I don't even know which day I'll be going yet (though probably Friday night and the Saturday matinée for Osipova), though I will certainly be on board for her as she is a favorite. Lobukhin is fantastic as well...I saw him in DQ with Diana Vishneva last year, and from youtube clips he has only gotten better and better since then. I think they will be great together.

I love Alexandrova; she and Allash are always top of my wish list for Bolshoi casting, and Allash hasn't come on recent tours :(. I can't imagine a girlish Kitri from her, but that would be fine with me, even preferable.

If Sunday, 28 February wasn't one of the busiest days to travel out of Vancouver -- it's the last day of the Olympics -- I would be so tempted to see the Sunday matinee, the only day of the run I'll be free.

Edited to add: naomikage reviewed the Bolshoi in Don Q from a December 2008 tour in Japan:

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.p...&hl=meskova

including Alexandrova's and Osipova's performances, starting on the 4th post in the thread.

Just got informed that Orange County Performing Arts Center has got tix to La Bayadere available to members. Public should be able to buy soon (January?)

. . .

-goro-

Tickets for the general public for the Bolshoi's Don Q go on sale Sunday, January 10:

http://www.ocpac.org/home/Events/EventDeta...57&NavID=91

Last year, they sent me e-mails a week or so before public sales with an opportunity to order early, but that hasn't happened yet. Apparently, those went to people who had previously bought tickets for a dance performance, as I'm not a subscriber nor member of OCPAC.

This seems to be the year for full-length Don Q's. Festival Ballet is doing two performances at the UCI Barclay Theatre March 20-21: http://www.festivalballet.org/fbt/donq.html

Gillian Murphy and Marcelo Gomes from ABT will take the leads.

As far as I know, Maria is one of the most reliable dancers around...I rarely hear about her missing a show or being out for injury, so I wouldn't worry about her being able to do both shows. However I am no expert! I don't even know which day I'll be going yet (though probably Friday night and the Saturday matinée for Osipova), though I will certainly be on board for her as she is a favorite. Lobukhin is fantastic as well...I saw him in DQ with Diana Vishneva last year, and from youtube clips he has only gotten better and better since then. I think they will be great together.

Thanks for your prompt reply and your advice! I'm a newbie...so I need all the help I can get!

I got an e-mail today for early purchase of tickets to the OCPAC Bolshoi. These e-mails seem to go to everybody who has ever bought a ticket to dance at OCPAC, as I haven't purchased anything there this season, nor am I a subscriber, nor a member of OCPAC. Tickets to the general public go on sale Sunday, January 10.

Prices are $24-121. I love their on-line seat selection. You can choose exactly what you want from a diagram, see a video showing your view, and change your mind repeatedly. Huge areas of the theatre are already sold out; I'm guessing those are subscribers, as public sales haven't yet started.

I am confused though...is that Mikhail Lobukhin from the Mariinsky dancing with Maria Alexsandrova?? There is no Lobukhin on the Bolshoi website that I can see or have really heard of before (that I can remember). What is going on here?!

Mikhail Lobukhin is listed on the Bolshoi's website now as a principal. He hasn't disappeared (yet) from the Mariinsky's site though.

Well cinnamonswirl posted this article in the Kennedy Center thread, so I'll throw it in here as well since it concerns this visit: Zakharova injured. I bet we'll see one of the existing casts move to opening night and another new cast put on one of the weekend matinees. I'd imagine they want a "name" for the reviews. I called OCPAC today and they don't know who will be replacing her yet.

Just to update, I've heard student rush may be only available on weekdays due to how well it's selling. Who knows, that may just be a PR move...they certainly don't like to leave seats unsold if possible and I've never not seen a rush during a ballet residence.

Like I guessed, Osipova/Vasiliev will be on the first night to replace Zakharova. With how deep the ballerina ranks are at the Bolshoi (or are in my estimation) this is almost disappointing.