• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:24 PM

I got an email today from OCPAC showing the Bolshoi as bringing Don Quixote to the center, instead of the previously announced La Bayadere (though the website still says La Bayadere but now has a Don Q picture next to it). All the leaflets I have seen at the center have shown pics from the Shades of La Bayadere so I guess this is a recent development.

Wonder why the change? We had the Mariinsky here last season with both Don Q and Giselle...and now this year the only classical companies are bringing the same stuff: ABT with Giselle and the Bolshoi with Don Q. A touch overkill methinks...especially because I can't even remember the last time La Bayadere toured here.

#2 fan2546

fan2546

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:16 PM

Exactly the same sentiments here. And that is actually the reason I logged on to Ballet Talk. I too would rather see "La Bayadere", especially after Kirov-Mariinsky "Don Quixote" last year and "Tour de force" in May featuring Osipova doing some "Don Quixote" pieces.

Bolshoi web site still shows "program to be announced at a later date" for Orange County and "Spartacus" in Washington, D.C.
I would love to see their "Spartacus" too.

#3 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:54 AM

An inquiry to the box office confirms the change to Don Q. The woman I spoke to said the change came from the Bolshoi not the center, they didn't give a particular reason when they decided to change it, it happened very recently, and that she too was looking forward to a showing of La Bayadere.

I doubt we would get Spartacus even if they changed the program again...I don't think they could strike the sets from the Kennedy Center and get them across the country in the time frame they have between the two dates.

#4 EvilNinjaX

EvilNinjaX

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:57 PM

Just got informed that Orange County Performing Arts Center has got tix to La Bayadere available to members. Public should be able to buy soon (January?)

Wed Feb.24 - Zakharova, Volchkov
Thurs Feb.25, Sat Mat 27, Sun Mat 28 - Osipova, Vasiliev
Fri Feb.26, Sat Night 27 - Aleksandrova, Lobukhin

I got my tix for the 24th, 27th, and 28th. about $600 for the tix. ouch.

But it'll definitely be worth it!

See you there?

-goro-

#5 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:56 PM

Looks like she's bringing a little contingent called "Bolshoi" with her. :)

Interestingly, I could find no mention on OCPAC's website of the production/s. There are photos of Don Q, but no title in digital print. :huh: Strange. If the fare is Bayadere, wouldn't the cast list include Gamzatti? Perhaps that info is available on hard copy brochures and mailings.

#6 EvilNinjaX

EvilNinjaX

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:12 AM

Interestingly, I could find no mention on OCPAC's website of the production/s. There are photos of Don Q, but no title in digital print. :huh: Strange. If the fare is Bayadere, wouldn't the cast list include Gamzatti? Perhaps that info is available on hard copy brochures and mailings.

LOL.

You are correct. When they first announced the season's lineup, they had Bolshoi La Bayadere (no cast info). Now that there is cast info, there's no indication of the performance and I just assumed it was still the same. I wonder if they have changed it to Don Q. I will call today and find out.

curiously, the Sunday tickets were extremely expensive. $140/seat in orch. Sat were $120. Any ideas why?

thx
-goro-

#7 EvilNinjaX

EvilNinjaX

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

Interestingly, I could find no mention on OCPAC's website of the production/s. There are photos of Don Q, but no title in digital print. :thumbsup: Strange. If the fare is Bayadere, wouldn't the cast list include Gamzatti? Perhaps that info is available on hard copy brochures and mailings.

LOL.

You are correct. When they first announced the season's lineup, they had Bolshoi La Bayadere (no cast info). Now that there is cast info, there's no indication of the performance and I just assumed it was still the same. I wonder if they have changed it to Don Q. I will call today and find out.

curiously, the Sunday tickets were extremely expensive. $140/seat in orch. Sat were $120. Any ideas why?

thx
-goro-

I just got off the phone with OCPAC and they told me that "it has been changed to Don Quixote." I'm a bit disappointed since I've already seen Osipova in Don Q when i was in Moscow, and i was really looking forward to Bayadere, but still, I'll be able to see her 2 or 3 times with Vasiliev and I have never seen Zakharova live.

-goro-

#8 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:00 PM

What? You're missing Alexandrova? I like Osipova a lot, but I think Alexandrova's the class act among the three.

I look forward to your report/s.

#9 EvilNinjaX

EvilNinjaX

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:29 PM

What? You're missing Alexandrova? I like Osipova a lot, but I think Alexandrova's the class act among the three.

I look forward to your report/s.

Spaced that. Actualy I'm also seeing the 27th evening performance with Alexandrova. I might be totally Don Q'd out that week. Last time I did something like this, I went to see The Royal Ballet do Sleeping Beauty 4x in 3 days (and nights) and of course now my memory of it is a total melange.

heh.

-goro-

#10 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:49 PM

Just to update, here are the announced casts on the website:

Feb.24 - Zakharova, Volchkov
Feb.25, 27 (mat), 28 - Osipova, Vasiliev
Feb.26, 27 (eve) - Aleksandrova, Lobukhin

I am confused though...is that Mikhail Lobukhin from the Mariinsky dancing with Maria Alexsandrova?? There is no Lobukhin on the Bolshoi website that I can see or have really heard of before (that I can remember). What is going on here?!

#11 iczerman

iczerman

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:43 PM

I think that maybe Don Q. will be a little more audience friendly. But a chance to see Zakharova or Osipova...that's something that one may not want to pass up!

#12 annamicro

annamicro

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:02 AM

is that Mikhail Lobukhin from the Mariinsky dancing with Maria Alexsandrova??

Probably yes: I've seen them dancing together DQ pdd in Ravenna this summer.

#13 iczerman

iczerman

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

AAHEMMMMMM...

After doing a little research on Youtube....I maybe will change my mind and see Maria Alexandrova. But I have a dilema...Should I see her Friday night or Saturday night?

Friday night she may be conserving energy for Saturday night.....

Saturday night...she may be a little pooped out from the night before....

Maybe ksk04 can advise?

#14 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:32 PM

As far as I know, Maria is one of the most reliable dancers around...I rarely hear about her missing a show or being out for injury, so I wouldn't worry about her being able to do both shows. However I am no expert! I don't even know which day I'll be going yet (though probably Friday night and the Saturday matinée for Osipova), though I will certainly be on board for her as she is a favorite. Lobukhin is fantastic as well...I saw him in DQ with Diana Vishneva last year, and from youtube clips he has only gotten better and better since then. I think they will be great together.

#15 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,018 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:45 PM

I love Alexandrova; she and Allash are always top of my wish list for Bolshoi casting, and Allash hasn't come on recent tours :(. I can't imagine a girlish Kitri from her, but that would be fine with me, even preferable.

If Sunday, 28 February wasn't one of the busiest days to travel out of Vancouver -- it's the last day of the Olympics -- I would be so tempted to see the Sunday matinee, the only day of the run I'll be free.

Edited to add: naomikage reviewed the Bolshoi in Don Q from a December 2008 tour in Japan:

http://ballettalk.in...p...&hl=meskova

including Alexandrova's and Osipova's performances, starting on the 4th post in the thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):