This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Lincoln Center: $20 for 20 Days starts Jan. 7

:thanks: to nysusan. :)

http://cityguideny.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=20154

The David Rubenstein Atrium at
officially opens to the public on December 17th. The new space, open every day and located on Broadway between 62nd and 63rd streets, is a vibrant, new public visitors space and ticketing facility that is home to an array of programs, services, and amenities designed to welcome, inform, and entertain the thousands of people who visit Lincoln Center and its surrounding community every day.

Formerly known as the Harmony Atrium when the space originally opened in 1979, it was one of approximately 503 Privately Owned Public Spaces (POPS) in New York City created under a longstanding program that offers zoning concessions to office and residential developers in return for accessible public spaces. Newly reinvigorated, this public space for the arts offers services including:

• A community gathering place to linger in and enjoy

• Free weekly performances

• Chef Tom Colicchio's 'wichcraft café

• The starting point for guided tours of the Lincoln Center campus

• A staffed Information Desk

• Restrooms

• Free Wi-Fi access

For the first time in Lincoln Center's 50-year history, day-of discount tickets to available performances across the campus will be sold in the Atrium starting on January 7th. To kick off the discount ticket sales, Lincoln Center will offer "$20 Tickets for 20 Days" -- all tickets at the day-of discount ticket box office will be sold for the promotional price of $20, inclusive, through January 26th. Tickets will go on sale at 12 noon every day and will be sold, two per person, on a first-come, first-served basis. The Box Office is closed on Monday, so those tickets will be sold on Sunday.**

"$20 for 20 Days" is made possible by a generous gift from David M. Rubenstein.

**Tickets for "$20 for 20 Days" will only be available for that night's performances at Lincoln Center and will only be available at the Donald and Barbara Zucker Box Office at the Rubenstein Atrium. Inventory will change daily based on availability, and availability cannot be guaranteed.

The $20 for 20 Days runs January 7-27. The TKTS Booth is ongoing.

I'm excited about this. I hope it will encourage people to sample some offerings by constituents they may not normally attend. Opera buffs to the Theatre, balletomanes to the symphony, and those of us who are pinching pennies, to everything!

This just hit my inbox:

"Celebrate the opening of day-of discount tickets at the Zucker Box Office by taking advantage of $20 for 20 Days, during which $20 tickets to select Lincoln Center performances will be available for day-of purchase, starting at noon daily, first come first served, limit two tickets per person.* This special offer is available for a limited time and tickets are available only in-person at the box office for performances that day, so come to the David Rubenstein Atrium and experience Lincoln Center for less!

*Starting at 8:00 am on each day of $20 Tickets for 20 Days, numbered wristbands will be distributed from the Broadway entrance to patrons in the line for $20 tickets on a first come first served basis. A wristband does not guarantee a ticket, but only a place in line. Guests must be in line at the box office at 11:00 am, which opens at noon. "

Go here to learn more.

Here's the deal on day-of tickets generally:

"The David Rubenstein Atrium is now your destination for day-of discount tickets to all 12 Lincoln Center resident organizations. Choosing a show and getting your seats for less is hassle-free! Come to the Atrium Tuesday through Sunday to peruse that day’s performances campus-wide, or ask questions at the information desk, then step up to the box office to purchase your tickets for that same evening. Credit cards are accepted, though there is a limit of two tickets per person and discounts vary by performance."

Just an update: here's a list of the first round (Thu 1/7/10) of $20 performances:

Evening Performances:

Big Apple Circus at 6:30 pm

South Pacific at 8:00 pm

Lincoln Center Theater

A Midsummer Night's Dream at 8:00 pm

New York City Ballet

See my first post for the drill to get these tickets ...

Thank you for your instructions. I just saw South Pacific (Sat. 1/9). What a wonderful show (you don't need me to tell you that). I just want to add that it is a very well organized system and everyone is very pleasant & helpful. You can sign up for emails letting you know what will be available the following day.