This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2010 Golden Mask Nominations

The Maryinsky Theatre has received 13 Golden Mask nominations for 2010.

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/news1/news1/11_december/ *(There's a surprise nominee).

The Golden Mask site has the full list of all categories and nominees in Russian. The English sublink isn't available yet.

http://www.goldenmask.ru/news.php?nid=988&year=

:): Maestro Gergiev's Maryinsky label, and the Maryinsky Orchestra have received 5 Grammy nominations.

http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/news1/pressa/otlichnoe_nachalo/

Thanks, Cygnet. Let me guess the "surprise": Alina Somova for "Best Female Dancer" as Tsar Maiden in Ratmansky's Humpbacked Horse? They have to be joking?! The principal who premiered the role and on whom the ballet was set - Viktoria Terioshkina -- was 1,000 times better. I saw both and there was absolutely no comparison in quality. What a travesty.

Thanks, Cygnet. Let me guess the "surprise": Alina Somova for "Best Female Dancer" as Tsar Maiden in Ratmansky's Humpbacked Horse? They have to be joking?! The principal who premiered the role and on whom the ballet was set - Viktoria Terioshkina -- was 1,000 times better. I saw both and there was absolutely no comparison in quality. What a travesty.

Unfortunately no: They're not joking :). I've come to the conclusion that Somova is the Michaele Salahi of ballet - the mother of all gate-crashers. Yes Natalia: Of course Tereshkina was and is superior. And that's the point isn't it? The question is, did Vicky's name, and the facts you mentioned above come up at all during the nominee selection process? It's rather obvious that the, what shall we call this (?), oh yes - fix - is in. This is insane atrocious.

Unfortunately no: They're not joking :huh:. I've come to the conclusion that Somova is the Michaele Salahi of ballet - the mother of all gate-crashers. Yes Natalia: Of course Tereshkina was and is superior. And that's the point isn't it? The question is, did Vicky's name, and the facts you mentioned above come up at all during the nominee selection process? It's rather obvious that the, what shall we call this (?), oh yes - fix - is in. This is insane atrocious.

Just to second what Natalia said - we both saw the same performances. And I'm really shocked about this nomination, bc Somova's was not even in the same ballpark as Tereshkina's -- she had no understanding of the choreography, the nuances in the music hat Ratmansky had emphasized in the steps...

Catherine was kind enough to translate the ballet nominees from the link. Thanks Catherine! They are:

2010 Golden Mask Nominees for "Best Female in Ballet:"

Natalia Osipova/ Soloist "Russian Seasons", (Ratmansky), Bolshoi Theatre, Moscow

Yulia Manjeles/Medea "Medea" , Theatre of Opera and Ballet, Perm

Anna Sharova/Soloist ""Who Cares?" Novosibirsk State Opera and Ballet Theatre

Alevtina Mukhortikova/Juliet, "Romeo and Juliet", Musical Theatre of the Republic of Karelia, Petrozavodsk

Alina Somova/ Tsar Maiden, "The Little Humpbacked Horse," Mariinsky Theatre, St. Petersburg

Nominees for "Best Male in Ballet:"

Vlaidmir Barnava/Mercutio, "Romeo and Juliet", Musical Theatre of the Republic of Karela, Petrozavodsk

Igor Zelensky/Soloist "Who Cares?" Perm State Opera and Ballet Theatre, Perm

Oleg Gabishev/Onegin "Onegin", Boris Eifman Ballet, St. Petersburg

Andrei Merkuriev/Erast "Poor Liz", Theatre of Nations, Moscow

Leonid Sarafanov/Ivanushka "The Little Humpacked Horse", Mariinsky Theatre, St Petersburg

Alina Somova/ Tsar Maiden, "The Little Humpbacked Horse," Mariinsky Theatre, St. Petersburg

OMG, what an injustice (ok, granted that i hadn't seen them dancing that role, but still) - what a disgrace....

anyway, i am voting with my (hard-earned) money, and am skipping Somova's performances in DC... G-d please, keep the announced cast in tact, or please bring Obraztsova