Changes at Bolshoi Helm...again!Burlaka out; Vikharev or Vaziyev or MrX in?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,574 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:58 AM

I have to wonder how such superb productions and dancing that I saw on tour, aside from the Kennedy Center-driven abridged edition of "Le Corsaire" and the development of so many young, wonderful dancers happens under these circumstances.

#17 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:39 PM

The Bolshoi turmoil is finally being reported on here (from NY Times)

http://artsbeat.blog...rmoil/?ref=arts

#18 Angelique

Angelique

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:49 PM

Seriously though, would the Moscow audience stand for that? They are a vociferous bunch and I know of principal dancers having brooms thrown at them on stage or having someone let off an alarm clock during a solo.

I beg to differ!
Firstly, such atrocious action would not be characteristic of Moscowvite audience at all, whom I know to be warm and appreciative. From reading memoirs of Ekaterina Maximova “Madame Nyet” one could gather that oddities like that could had taken place in the past, but were a product of bitter professional rivalry. Not audiences, for such wicked ideas usually spring up deep inside compromised psychic of few (very few, thank God) balletomanes deprived of life of their own and/or retiring and not successful dancers.

Disclaimer: Reference to a disreputable bunch of balletomanes is in no way concerns anyone on this board. Rather it puts out a rhetorical question of: what kind of person would choose to perform such an act of barbarism as appose to simply skipping a performance with a dancer one doesn’t particularly care for?

#19 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:07 AM

The incidents I referred to are factual and reported in the press at the time. Towards the end of Grigorovich's tenure there were demonstrations against him both inside and outside the theatre (reported on the BBC World Service).

Audience antics are rivalled by on stage incidents; remember the public sacking of Gediminas Taranda? Remember Irek Mukhamedov seriously assaulting a member of the public? These things are well documented. I myself had a run-in with a member of the Bolshoi claque a few years back, though admittedly that was at the opera, so I have personal experience that things are not all sweetness and light there as you suggest.

Disclaimer: Reference to a disreputable bunch of balletomanes is in no way concerns anyone on this board. Rather it puts out a rhetorical question of: what kind of person would choose to perform such an act of barbarism as appose to simply skipping a performance with a dancer one doesn’t particularly care for?

In Russia it seems to me quite a number of people indulge in these 'acts of barbarism' as you call them. Facts are facts and wishing otherwise won't change them

#20 YID

YID

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:32 AM

as per ITAR news, looks like Sergey Filin will Fill-in the spot (sorry couldn't resist the pun). I adored the dancer, and what he did with Stanislavsky's ballet is very impressive, and he's a great insightful smart person (from my once conversation with him after YAGP'10 in NYC).
http://www.itar-tass...62010&PageNum=0

#21 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,574 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:27 AM

What is "quite a number", though? Flashers get quite a lot of publicity, but not that many people run around naked in public.

#22 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:57 AM

as per ITAR news, looks like Sergey Filin will Fill-in the spot (sorry couldn't resist the pun). I adored the dancer, and what he did with Stanislavsky's ballet is very impressive, and he's a great insightful smart person (from my once conversation with him after YAGP'10 in NYC).
http://www.itar-tass...62010&PageNum=0

YID, I just saw that too. AND Filin is the one who had the great taste and good sense to schedule Yevgenia Obraztsova's debut as Odette/Odile (in a few weeks, at the Stanislavsky). For that alone, I'm cheering for Filin!

#23 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:27 AM

It's now official. From the Bolshoi Press Office (pr@bolshoi.ru), I have just rec'vd this:

Yan Godovsky, the Bolshoi Ballet leading soloist, has been appointed the Bolshoi Ballet Assistant Director.
Sergei Filin, the former Bolshoi Ballet principal and the former Stanislavsky and Nemirovich-Danchenko Moscow Academic Music Theatre Ballet Director, has been appointed the Bolshoi Ballet Director.

So interesting how the Assistant Director appointment is cited first...a 'build up'! Congrats to both gentlemen!!!

#24 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

What is "quite a number", though? Flashers get quite a lot of publicity, but not that many people run around naked in public.

You’re asking the how long is a piece of string question. No one can say how many are involved, but I’ve witnessed an incident myself and every dancer has a story to tell on this score. The claque’s an odious bunch and apparently very active in Moscow, although some things I’ve been told sound far fetched I’ve no reason to believe they aren’t true

Check out the Russian forums and you’ll discover just how unsavoury the sentiments are and thoughts can sometimes turn into actions, ergo an unwanted director can expect a rough ride.

#25 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:43 AM

Well, I don't think we'll have to worry now about the Moscow public throwing tomatoes at Somova or anyone else affiliated with Mr/Mrs Vaziyev. :clapping:

#26 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:01 AM

This is great news for Filin and the Bolshoi :clapping: ! They didn't let the grass grow under their feet filling this post.

Natalia wrote:

Well, I don't think we'll have to worry now about the Moscow public throwing tomatoes at Somova or anyone else affiliated with Mr/Mrs Vaziyev.

This effectively shuts out the Vazievs (and by extension their pupil). What a buzz-kill for them. Makhar Vaziev's La Scala contract expires in 2012.

Mashinka wrote:

" . . . Check out the Russian forums and you’ll discover just how unsavoury the sentiments are and thoughts can sometimes turn into actions, ergo an unwanted director can expect a rough ride. . ."

Anything can happen in Russia re ballet management/administration.

#27 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,574 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:58 AM

I'd quote Mashinka's post to reply, but my iPhone won't let me get to the bottom of the post.

While a claque may be the most vociferous and visible part of an audience, it is hardly representative of an audience. Perhaps the question should have been "Would the Moscow claque have allowed a Somova performance to go on interrupted?"

The criticism of dancers, choreographers, and artistic directors here is a lot more polite than on other forums which have different rules, but it can be as stinging. However, the way people criticize behind the relative anonymity of the Internet, and how they behave in public are two very different things.

How many people here would walk up to Alina Somova on the street, in a hotel lobby, or at the stage door and say to her face what they've posted here, using the same language? Or throw something at her in performance or at a curtain call.

#28 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:24 AM

So is Filin's appointment effective immediately? (I think so.) Will he be 'dual head' of the Bolshoi & Stanislavsky for the rest of the season, I wonder? Of course, commitments through the current season are pretty much set into stone but I wonder if Filin could alter some of the plans for next season and the big reopening of the old Bolshoi Theater? Filin is an admirer of Balanchine so I don't see the 'Balanchine's Waltzes' triple bill changing, unless there is a budgetary problem. I also wonder if Filin will effectively be able to stiffle some of the behind-the-scenes power of Grigorovich, who seems to still have a finger in the pie.

#29 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:44 PM

This is pretty exciting :clapping: ...much better news than anticipated. I had assumed the Bolshoi was merely releasing the announcement that there was no replacement yet because of complications with Vasiyev's La Scala contract.

#30 pj

pj

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:08 PM

What I want to know is "Who will replace Filin at Stanislavski?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):