This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

George Zoritch's Memoir

Has anyone read his memoir (Ballet Mystique: Behind the Glamour of the Ballet Russe)? Somehow I hadn't quite gotten around to this prior to the sad news of his passing. Just as well in a sense, because this period when we're all mourning his loss proved a perfect time. He obviously held deep convictions about the responsibilities attendant upon those who would be danseurs nobles or pass on the torch by

teaching. There were periods early on when he survived on next to nothing, soldiering on in pursuit of his dream.

His observations of others are quite interesting. Clearly he had a deep love and respect for his mother and his beloved Preobrajenska. His views of Danilova, Massine, and Serge Denham are strongly felt. Among more recent figures in the dance world, he admired Kirkland, Makarova, and Cynthia Harvey.

It's a lovely book with many wonderful photos, just what one might expect having seen that lovely film clip of him at the reunion of the men of the Ballet Russe.

This is one of those books I keep intending to get ... but somehow have never gotten around to it. I know we've discussed it elsewhere, but the occasion of Mr. Zoritch's death seems a good opportunity to revisit.

Here's material from Mr. Zoritch's website, with links to photos and some excellent reviews:

http://www.georgezoritch.com/frame.html

I checked Amazon, which lists 3 copies: 1 used at $295.00 and 2 "collectible" at $225.00 I guess I should have acted sooner !!! :(

His observations of others are quite interesting. Clearly he had a deep love and respect for his mother and his beloved Preobrajenska.

"All this raving about Agrippina Vaganova and her method, and not a word mentioned about her teacher, Olga Preobrajenska. I consider it my greatest fortune to have studied with her in Paris where I received a wealth of knowledge. Preobrajenska merits the credit—and not Vaganova, who was only lucky to study with Preobrajenska and receive the finer points and details."

George Zuritch

:thumbsup:

All this raving about Agrippina Vaganova and her method, and not a word mentioned about her teacher, Olga Preobrajenska. I consider it my greatest fortune to have studied with her in Paris where I received a wealth of knowledge. Preobrajenska merits the credit—and not Vaganova, who was only lucky to study with Preobrajenska and receive the finer points and details."

George Zuritch

Amen, amen, amen!

In Mr. Zoritch's website it says that one can order it right from there, at the lesser price of $45.00 plus S&H. I wonder if this is currently accurate. I too want to buy it...

I have several copies of this book given to me by the Zoritch estate. They are new cellophane wrapped and never opened. I will be glad to send you a copy at the above price. Richka

This is one of those books I keep intending to get ... but somehow have never gotten around to it. I know we've discussed it elsewhere, but the occasion of Mr. Zoritch's death seems a good opportunity to revisit.

Here's material from Mr. Zoritch's website, with links to photos and some excellent reviews:

I checked Amazon, which lists 3 copies: 1 used at $295.00 and 2 "collectible" at $225.00 I guess I should have acted sooner !!! :(

I don't remember if I informed you before, forgive me if I have, but wanted to let you know that I have several copies of the Zoritch book, brand new and fully wrapped in celophane given to me by George just before he died. I would be glad to share with you if you are still interested.

Has anyone read his memoir (Ballet Mystique: Behind the Glamour of the Ballet Russe)? Somehow I hadn't quite gotten around to this prior to the sad news of his passing. Just as well in a sense, because this period when we're all mourning his loss proved a perfect time. He obviously held deep convictions about the responsibilities attendant upon those who would be danseurs nobles or pass on the torch by

teaching. There were periods early on when he survived on next to nothing, soldiering on in pursuit of his dream.

His observations of others are quite interesting. Clearly he had a deep love and respect for his mother and his beloved Preobrajenska. His views of Danilova, Massine, and Serge Denham are strongly felt. Among more recent figures in the dance world, he admired Kirkland, Makarova, and Cynthia Harvey.

It's a lovely book with many wonderful photos, just what one might expect having seen that lovely film clip of him at the reunion of the men of the Ballet Russe.

Glad you enjoy George's book; Ballet Mystique. Just before he died he gave me several copies of his book that I still have. They are completely new and still wrapped in celophane. They are stored in my garage and I don't know what to do with them.

I am sure there are many who would also enjoy having a copy.

Folks keep writing here that they are looking for and want a copy of the book Ballet Mystique by George Zoritch. I've said several times here that I HAVE SEVERAL COPIES of the book that Zoritch gave me, BRAND NEW, wrapped in celophane. They are stored in a box in my garage. They are available and I've offered several times to share them. I don't know what more I can do.

This is a RIDICULOUS price to pay to Amazon for this book. PLEASE read my posting on this thread. richka