This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Kirov in DCSleeping Beauty casting

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#46 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:06 PM

Well, I have some good news: because of a change in my teaching schedule (studio closed because of snow) I will now be attending the Saturday afternoon performance with Kolegova. :)

#47 mariinskyfan

mariinskyfan

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:42 PM

Well, I have some good news: because of a change in my teaching schedule (studio closed because of snow) I will now be attending the Saturday afternoon performance with Kolegova. :)

That is good news! I hope you can post a report.

#48 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:38 PM

I have just posted one in my blog: http://ballettalk.in...tails/index.php?

#49 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:10 PM

Thanks, Hans.

I was surprised and pleased to see Maya Dumchenko listed as Princess Florina, and it did indeed appear to be her. She looks quite thin and frail, but in her one pas de deux, she gave a performance worthy of a principal dancer ...

:thumbsup:

#50 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:06 PM

Back from tonight's Tereshkina/Shklyarov/Kondaurova performance.

Tereshkina was wonderful -- warm, refined, elegant and technically secure. And so natural on stage - she didn't seem to be acting at all. Overall I liked her characterization more than Vishneva's, although I found Vishneva's Vision scene and pricking-of-the-finger part more effective. One thing I was disappointed by were the balances in the Rose Adagio. For the balances with promenade Tereshkina moved her hand from one suitor to the next without taking her arm back up to fifth, which really underemphasizes the balances. (I know the importance of the balances has been discussed exhaustively in other threads.) On the other hand, she took a very high attitude (well past 90), so I guess it sort of evens out.

I am so glad to have seen her Aurora. I have now seen her twice -- Sleeping Beauty and In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated!

More great dancing from Shklyarov. From the number of Youtube clips of them together, I gather Tereshkina is one of his regular partners (and Vishneva is not). He looked much more relaxed tonight, and he related to Tereshkina much more than he did to Vishneva. And a nice save in the fish dive in the grand pas de deux!

I thought Kondaurova was better tonight -- less cold and more relaxed. She really is gorgeous to watch. I think it would be fascinating to see her try Aurora, but I guess the Mariinsky rules of emploi won't allow that. Maybe she can guest with a company in the West.

There were substitutions for Florine and Bluebird. Unfortunately I have lost the slip of paper, and I can't remember who danced Bluebird but he had beautiful, beautiful arms. Oksana Skoryk was a pleasant if not particularly memorable Florine.

And I must mention Yana Salina and Grigory Popov again, because the cat variation really was very good.

The tempi were more even than the other night, but still practically slowed to a standstill at the ends of some of the variations. And the brass section was still booming.

#51 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,275 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:19 AM

Tereshkina was wonderful . On the other hand, she took a very high attitude (well past 90), so I guess it sort of evens out.

Another Somova-like mannerism. Never been very found of it for Aurora.

#52 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:47 AM

Tereshkina was wonderful . On the other hand, she took a very high attitude (well past 90), so I guess it sort of evens out.

No, I don't like it either. the high attitude just doesn't look appropriate in something so Classical as Sleeping Beauty.

#53 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,471 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:33 AM

No, I don't like it either. the high attitude just doesn't look appropriate in something so Classical as Sleeping Beauty.

After the mostly classical proportions and clean lines I saw in her Nikiya broadcast on French TV on New Year's Eve, this is disappointing to hear.

Could it be why she didn't lift her arm in fifth? Somova is more flexible than Tereshkina, and I would guess her exaggerated back leg position would not have affected her balance.

#54 cinnamonswirl

cinnamonswirl

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:55 AM

After the mostly classical proportions and clean lines I saw in her Nikiya broadcast on French TV on New Year's Eve, this is disappointing to hear.

Could it be why she didn't lift her arm in fifth? Somova is more flexible than Tereshkina, and I would guess her exaggerated back leg position would not have affected her balance.

I'm not sure. For the first set of balances, she did take her arm back to fifth, and her leg was at 90.

#55 Mike Gunther

Mike Gunther

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:50 AM

I have just posted one in my blog: http://ballettalk.in...tails/index.php?

Thanks for that review! In that performance, I found youngsters Anastasia Kolegova (Aurora) and Anton Korsakov (Prince) more appealing than you did, although I agree that Kolegova was a bit stiff in Act I. I also think Korsakov looked more comfortable in his solo numbers than in his lifts. But they brought off their grand variations in Act III as smooth as silk, so overall I was left with a good impression.

#56 nysusan

nysusan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:06 AM

I'm not sure. For the first set of balances, she did take her arm back to fifth, and her leg was at 90.

That attitude was quite high, but I didn't find it offensive or unclassical and certainly not "Somova like". There was no strain apparent in hitting or holding it, the line was beautiful and it looked rather organic. Also, regarding the arms in the last set of balances, I noticed that neither Kirov Aurora I saw brought the arm to overhead fifth position in this series of balances (I saw Kolegova & Tereshkina yesterday). They both went directly from one suitor to the next until the last suitor took them into a supported penchee after which they came back up and held the final balance. I'll check my notes from the last time I saw the Kirov in SB and my DVDs of Kolpakova and Lezhnina, but this may just be the way the Kirov Mariinsky performs the Rose Adagio.

Just back from DC, I'll post some additional impressions soon but overall - it was a great trip!

#57 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

Also, regarding the arms in the last set of balances, I noticed that neither Kirov Aurora I saw brought the arm to overhead fifth position in this series of balances (I saw Kolegova & Tereshkina yesterday). They both went directly from one suitor to the next until the last suitor took them into a supported penchee after which they came back up and held the final balance. I'll check my notes from the last time I saw the Kirov in SB and my DVDs of Kolpakova and Lezhnina, but this may just be the way the Kirov Mariinsky performs the Rose Adagio.

I mentioned on another (NYCB) thread that when I saw the Kirov some years ago (Sergeyev production) what nyusan describes is also, as I remember, what Asylmuratova and Terekhova did with barely a stab at any kind of elaborated balance. (I believe Lezhnina did bring her arms up en couronne...)

Though at first I was a touch surprised (but where is the balancing?! I thought ) I almost immediately came to appreciate that they were not rocking back and forth through balances that were not terribly secure and, instead, I was getting secure beautiful dancing.

Of course, it is thrilling and can, in a great interpretation, be meaningful to see the balances beautifully and elaborately sustained, but I enjoyed these performances as well. In the NYCB thread Canbelto mentions video of Asylmuratova balancing in an extended fashion--I suppose dancers also perform it differently at different stages of their careers, with different partners etc.

#58 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:12 PM

There;s at least one Aurora at the Mariinsky that nails the final balances in 5th:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

p.s I realize this clip is highly edited, but you can see Asylmuratova performing portions of the Rose Adagio here and she clearly holds the final balances in 5th as well. There's a commercial video where she holds the balances for quite long as well:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#59 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

Thank you everyone for the wonderful reviews! :thumbsup:

More great dancing from Shklyarov. From the number of Youtube clips of them together, I gather Tereshkina is one of his regular partners (and Vishneva is not). He looked much more relaxed tonight, and he related to Tereshkina much more than he did to Vishneva. And a nice save in the fish dive in the grand pas de deux!

Tuesday was the first time Shklyarov and Vishneva danced together.

#60 b1

b1

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:30 PM

I, too just returned DC. It really was a wonderful performance. There is nothing like seeing The Kirov live.

I was absolutely unimpressed by Carabosse Anton Pimonov. Is this a regular role for him? He was too...swishy. He seemed very little and did not play a large enough character for me.

Florina was Oksana Skoryk partnered by Andrey Solvyov. While he was very good, he really did not excite me. Someone had mentioned *phoning in* his performance, and that is exactly what I felt. Though, honestly, he was very good. Just somewhat un exciting. Oksana Skoryk was lovely, though her music seemed excruitiatingly slow (can't remember if it was her variation or during the coda/and or apothiosis). Wasn't quite sure why they even bothered to put Little Red Riding Hood in the cast change. She barely did anything, and I would have preferred to have seen the variation. Never saw Cindrella. Sadly, I was completely unimpressed by Maya Dumchenko (who I have followed since she was a student). Diamond was Tatyana Tkachenko and she was outstanding. Sharp, exact, executing the variation nicely. White Cat Yana Selina was truly a character. :unsure: Viktoria Tereshkina was lovely. There was the one bobble on the fish dive pose at the end of the grand pas that was nicely saved, but a bobble nonetheless. Ekaterina Kondaurova was regal, elegant and I really enjoyed her (almost better than Tereshkina, though they are not similar in my estimation). I wish I could have seen more than one performance. It was the trip of a lifetime for me. Truly, truly priceless. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):