This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kirov in DC

Casting has now neen posted on the KC website. Biggest disappointment - no Obraztsova Aurora. Second biggest disappointment - no Lopatkina Lilac. But, of course, we get Somova's Aurora TWICE! Vishneva opens, Tereshkina dances twice, Matvienko and Kolegova each have one performance. Oh well, at least I'll save a lot of money.

My impression is that Uliana has not danced lilac for quite a while and is unlikely to dance the role any time soon. No point for her to play second fiddle now that she is an icon of olympic status.

On the other hand, at least we get Kondaurova and Skoryk as lilacs.

I just bought for Vishneva/Fadeev opening night + 3rd night (Tereshkina/Schklyarov). Avoiding flexy Somova and robotic Ivanchenko like the plague.

No Obraztsova? Ridiculous. She may make it yet, though...casting always changes and we have over two months to go. I'll be very surprised, for example, if Kolegova makes it here after her recent personal tragedy.

I am missing the rest of the K-M run and the entire Bolshoi run, as I go to the Olympics on Friday morn, for two weeks of figure skating and hockey magic, LIVE! :pinch:

Casting has now neen posted on the KC website. Biggest disappointment - no Obraztsova Aurora. Second biggest disappointment - no Lopatkina Lilac. But, of course, we get Somova's Aurora TWICE! Vishneva opens, Tereshkina dances twice, Matvienko and Kolegova each have one performance. Oh well, at least I'll save a lot of money.

Uliana hasn't danced Lilac for at least three years. The full-length roles she dances the most are O/O, the rare Raymonda, and lately Giselle. She's also acquired more Balanchine. In addition to "La Valse," "Diamonds," and "Symphony in C," she recently added "Scotch Symphony" to her rep. Besides Diana, the high caliber Auroras will not be dancing. Novikova is still on maternity leave, Osmolkina isn't cast and probably isn't going, and Dumchenko and Pavlenko never tour with the 'A' Team anymore. Golub's Aurora is unreliable. The big gun, the photon torpedo Aurora of this company is Obratzova, but she's been relegated to Florine during the current Japanese tour. If they pack her for Kennedy, she'll probably be Florine. Kondaurova's Lilac is excellent and if she were backing up Obratzova's Aurora, I'd set sail for that. Vicky has wonderful virtuoso technique, but IMO is better suited, and would be more credible as Lilac rather than Aurora. Matvienko and Kolegova are both boiler plate soloists.

But, of course, we get Somova's Aurora TWICE!

:pinch:.

I'm shocked she's not opening. That's two times too many plus overkill. There's no rest for the weary. The travesty continues.

Uliana hasn't danced Lilac for at least three years. The full-length roles she dances the most are O/O, the rare Raymonda, and lately Giselle. She's also acquired more Balanchine. In addition to "La Valse," "Diamonds," and "Symphony in C," she recently added "Scotch Symphony" to her rep. Besides Diana, the high caliber Auroras will not be dancing. Novikova is still on maternity leave, Osmolkina isn't cast and probably isn't going, and Dumchenko and Pavlenko never tour with the 'A' Team anymore. Golub's Aurora is unreliable. The big gun, the photon torpedo Aurora of this company is Obratzova, but she's been relegated to Florine during the current Japanese tour. If they pack her for Kennedy, she'll probably be Florine. Kondaurova's Lilac is excellent and if she were backing up Obratzova's Aurora, I'd set sail for that. Vicky has wonderful virtuoso technique, but IMO is better suited, and would be more credible as Lilac rather than Aurora. Matvienko and Kolegova are both boiler plate soloists.

But, of course, we get Somova's Aurora TWICE!

:(.

I'm shocked she's not opening. That's two times too many plus overkill. There's no rest for the weary. The travesty continues.

I didn't know that Lopatkina doesn't dance Lilac anymore, guess I should count myself lucky to have seen her Lilac in 2005. I just bought my tickets for Sat evening and will be happy if the casting holds. I love Terishkina but I'm having a hard time envisioning her as Aurora, will be interested to see how she does. And I love Schklyarov & Kondaurova. Of course, if updated casting includes Obratzova or Pavlenko (hardly likely) I will have to hit the piggy bank again!

Of course, if updated casting includes Obratzova or Pavlenko (hardly likely) I will have to hit the piggy bank again!

Pavlenko is not on Fateev's favored list. Although back from maternity leave for well over a year, the most she's been given are the street dancer in "Don Q", the all-acting, no-dancing role in the parting Pas de Deux from Jakobson's "Spartacus", and one go at "Chopiniana" recently. I doubt she will be on the tour at all... sadly. As a principal, she is no longer even given principal roles.

Of course, if updated casting includes Obratzova or Pavlenko (hardly likely) I will have to hit the piggy bank again!

Pavlenko is not on Fateev's favored list. Although back from maternity leave for well over a year, the most she's been given are the street dancer in "Don Q", the all-acting, no-dancing role in the parting Pas de Deux from Jakobson's "Spartacus", and one go at "Chopiniana" recently. I doubt she will be on the tour at all... sadly. As a principal, she is no longer even given principal roles.

I've found it curious that Pavlenko has done so little since coming back from maternity leave. I was disappointed but had hoped that it was her choice to come back so slowly. It's sad to hear that her absence is due to Mariinsky politics, but not really that surprising and certainly not unprecedented. Hopefully she will find a way to break through and return to dancing principal roles, or have the courage to leave and join a company that will allow her to reach her full potential. I guess it's unlikely that she would leave Russia with a new baby and a husband whose career is taking off at the Mariinsky, but I can't stand the thought of her wasting her prime dancing years. And I want to see her again! She has always gotten great reviews when she's toured here in the States.

I've found it curious that Pavlenko has done so little since coming back from maternity leave. I was disappointed but had hoped that it was her choice to come back so slowly. It's sad to hear that her absence is due to Mariinsky politics, but not really that surprising and certainly not unprecedented. Hopefully she will find a way to break through and return to dancing principal roles, or have the courage to leave and join a company that will allow her to reach her full potential. I guess it's unlikely that she would leave Russia with a new baby and a husband whose career is taking off at the Mariinsky, but I can't stand the thought of her wasting her prime dancing years. And I want to see her again! She has always gotten great reviews when she's toured here in the States.

I agree, she is a gem, full of talent and artistry. Also agree it's highly unlikely she would leave as you point out. I hope things change, but I don't expect them to...

There have been some casting changes on the Kennedy Center website. Unfortunately no Fadeev this trip, but at least he's been replaced by Schklyarov. And a great big gift for me, who decided that since I was going for the Sat eve performance I'd add the Saturday matinee despite the Somova/ Ivanchenko casting. They are now scheduled for only one performance on Wednesday and the Kolegova/Korsakov/Iosofidi cast is now scheduled for the Sat mat (it looks like they switched the Saturday and Sunday matinee casts).

PRINCIPAL CASTING

Tue., Feb. 9 at 7:30 p.m.

Aurora: Diana Vishneva

Prince Desire: Vladimir Shklyarov

Lilac Fairy: Ekaterina Kondaurova

Wed., Feb. 10 at 7:30 p.m.

Aurora: Alina Somova

Prince Desire: Evgeny Ivanchenko

Lilac Fairy: Anastasia Kolegova

Thu., Feb. 11 & Sat., Feb. 13 at 7:30 p.m.

Aurora: Viktoria Tereshkina

Prince Desire: Vladimir Shklyarov

Lilac Fairy: Ekaterina Kondaurova

Fri., Feb. 12 at 7:30 p.m.

Aurora: Anastasia Matvienko

Prince Desire: Evgeny Ivanchenko

Lilac Fairy: Oksana Skoryk

Sat., Feb. 13 at 1:30 p.m.

Aurora: Anastasia Kolegova

Prince Desire: Anton Korsakov

Lilac Fairy: Alexandra Iosifidi

Sun., Feb. 14 at 1:30 p.m.

Aurora: Anastasia Matvienko

Prince Desire: Maksim Zyuzin

Lilac Fairy: Oksana Skoryk

.....Somova/ Ivanchenko casting. They are now scheduled for only one performance on Wednesday .....

Congratulations. You've just hit the jackpot! :thumbsup:

Hans, look at the Thursday cast listing (Terioshkina/Schklyarov). The Saturday @ 7:30pm is on the same line as the Thursday date.

Genia Obraztsova will be in Rome preparing for a guest appearance with the Rome Opera Ballet as Giselle. At the moment there is no casting but it's possible she may have the opening night performance (Tuesday Feb 23). Washington's loss, Rome's gain ... I am hoping to see her on Tuesday night as I'll be in Italy for work that week.

Personally I am very excited to see Katya Kondaurova as Lilac in Washington on Saturday evening. I wonder if Islom will be Carabosse to her Lilac? Is there any other husband/wife duo that has been put to that role combination??

I'm also curious to see Oksana Skoryk, having heard so much about her from the Perm school documentary awhile back.

Has Zyuzin danced Desire before?

Not sure. Perhaps elsewhere on tour. In the home theater, he is usually cast as Bluebird (both the 1890 and 1952 versions) and "Prince Charmant" -- Cinderella's partner in the 1890 version.

Hans, I would not despair too much about Terioshkina. She is probably the best of the tour's Auroras, from a technical-purity point-of-view. The only one who would be her equal in that department is Obraztsova but she won't be coming.

.....Somova/ Ivanchenko casting. They are now scheduled for only one performance on Wednesday .....

Congratulations. You've just hit the jackpot! :)

Hans, look at the Thursday cast listing (Terioshkina/Schklyarov). The Saturday @ 7:30pm is on the same line as the Thursday date.

I know :thumbsup: I've really wanted to see Kolegova. I'm just hoping that this casting holds, but one never knows with the Kirov!

Soooo excited!! I am going to DC with another ballet teacher to see the Kirov on Sat night!! I don't care *who* we see, I know it will be good. I kind of wish it was a split bill because I would like to see the Sat matinee as well as the evening, but I would like to see 2 different pieces. Ahh, a field trip out of the studio and to see an elite level performance!

Airfare for plane ride....$300

Tix for performance....$100

Hotel, taxis, meals......$300

Value of seeing Kirov....truly priceless!