• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:03 PM

Casting has now neen posted on the KC website. Biggest disappointment - no Obraztsova Aurora. Second biggest disappointment - no Lopatkina Lilac. But, of course, we get Somova's Aurora TWICE! Vishneva opens, Tereshkina dances twice, Matvienko and Kolegova each have one performance. Oh well, at least I'll save a lot of money.

#2 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:09 PM

Thanks, nysusan. Encouraging to know Fadeyev is recovered from his injury -- he'll do Desire twice.

#3 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:15 PM

Yes, it's good to know that Fadeyev will be dancing, also looking forward to Kondaurova's Lilac - I think I will target Saturday night & hope that the casting holds. Forgot to post a lnk - here it is:

http://kennedy-cente...amp;event=BKBSE

#4 Chaconne

Chaconne

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:51 AM

My impression is that Uliana has not danced lilac for quite a while and is unlikely to dance the role any time soon. No point for her to play second fiddle now that she is an icon of olympic status.

On the other hand, at least we get Kondaurova and Skoryk as lilacs.

#5 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:28 AM

I just bought for Vishneva/Fadeev opening night + 3rd night (Tereshkina/Schklyarov). Avoiding flexy Somova and robotic Ivanchenko like the plague.

No Obraztsova? Ridiculous. She may make it yet, though...casting always changes and we have over two months to go. I'll be very surprised, for example, if Kolegova makes it here after her recent personal tragedy.

I am missing the rest of the K-M run and the entire Bolshoi run, as I go to the Olympics on Friday morn, for two weeks of figure skating and hockey magic, LIVE! :pinch:

#6 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:41 AM

Casting has now neen posted on the KC website. Biggest disappointment - no Obraztsova Aurora. Second biggest disappointment - no Lopatkina Lilac. But, of course, we get Somova's Aurora TWICE! Vishneva opens, Tereshkina dances twice, Matvienko and Kolegova each have one performance. Oh well, at least I'll save a lot of money.

Uliana hasn't danced Lilac for at least three years. The full-length roles she dances the most are O/O, the rare Raymonda, and lately Giselle. She's also acquired more Balanchine. In addition to "La Valse," "Diamonds," and "Symphony in C," she recently added "Scotch Symphony" to her rep. Besides Diana, the high caliber Auroras will not be dancing. Novikova is still on maternity leave, Osmolkina isn't cast and probably isn't going, and Dumchenko and Pavlenko never tour with the 'A' Team anymore. Golub's Aurora is unreliable. The big gun, the photon torpedo Aurora of this company is Obratzova, but she's been relegated to Florine during the current Japanese tour. If they pack her for Kennedy, she'll probably be Florine. Kondaurova's Lilac is excellent and if she were backing up Obratzova's Aurora, I'd set sail for that. Vicky has wonderful virtuoso technique, but IMO is better suited, and would be more credible as Lilac rather than Aurora. Matvienko and Kolegova are both boiler plate soloists.

But, of course, we get Somova's Aurora TWICE!

:pinch:.

I'm shocked she's not opening. That's two times too many plus overkill. There's no rest for the weary. The travesty continues.

#7 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:59 AM

Tereshkina is a far better Aurora than one might think, she impessed me a lot.

#8 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:41 AM

I just bought mine, Openning night with Vishneva & Fadeev, Sat. with Tereshkina & Shklyarov, and Sunday closing. Ah, let's have bets about them keeping the casting as announced.

#9 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:00 PM

Uliana hasn't danced Lilac for at least three years. The full-length roles she dances the most are O/O, the rare Raymonda, and lately Giselle. She's also acquired more Balanchine. In addition to "La Valse," "Diamonds," and "Symphony in C," she recently added "Scotch Symphony" to her rep. Besides Diana, the high caliber Auroras will not be dancing. Novikova is still on maternity leave, Osmolkina isn't cast and probably isn't going, and Dumchenko and Pavlenko never tour with the 'A' Team anymore. Golub's Aurora is unreliable. The big gun, the photon torpedo Aurora of this company is Obratzova, but she's been relegated to Florine during the current Japanese tour. If they pack her for Kennedy, she'll probably be Florine. Kondaurova's Lilac is excellent and if she were backing up Obratzova's Aurora, I'd set sail for that. Vicky has wonderful virtuoso technique, but IMO is better suited, and would be more credible as Lilac rather than Aurora. Matvienko and Kolegova are both boiler plate soloists.

But, of course, we get Somova's Aurora TWICE!

:(.

I'm shocked she's not opening. That's two times too many plus overkill. There's no rest for the weary. The travesty continues.

I didn't know that Lopatkina doesn't dance Lilac anymore, guess I should count myself lucky to have seen her Lilac in 2005. I just bought my tickets for Sat evening and will be happy if the casting holds. I love Terishkina but I'm having a hard time envisioning her as Aurora, will be interested to see how she does. And I love Schklyarov & Kondaurova. Of course, if updated casting includes Obratzova or Pavlenko (hardly likely) I will have to hit the piggy bank again!

#10 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:46 PM

Of course, if updated casting includes Obratzova or Pavlenko (hardly likely) I will have to hit the piggy bank again!

Pavlenko is not on Fateev's favored list. Although back from maternity leave for well over a year, the most she's been given are the street dancer in "Don Q", the all-acting, no-dancing role in the parting Pas de Deux from Jakobson's "Spartacus", and one go at "Chopiniana" recently. I doubt she will be on the tour at all... sadly. As a principal, she is no longer even given principal roles.

#11 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:55 AM

Of course, if updated casting includes Obratzova or Pavlenko (hardly likely) I will have to hit the piggy bank again!

Pavlenko is not on Fateev's favored list. Although back from maternity leave for well over a year, the most she's been given are the street dancer in "Don Q", the all-acting, no-dancing role in the parting Pas de Deux from Jakobson's "Spartacus", and one go at "Chopiniana" recently. I doubt she will be on the tour at all... sadly. As a principal, she is no longer even given principal roles.

I've found it curious that Pavlenko has done so little since coming back from maternity leave. I was disappointed but had hoped that it was her choice to come back so slowly. It's sad to hear that her absence is due to Mariinsky politics, but not really that surprising and certainly not unprecedented. Hopefully she will find a way to break through and return to dancing principal roles, or have the courage to leave and join a company that will allow her to reach her full potential. I guess it's unlikely that she would leave Russia with a new baby and a husband whose career is taking off at the Mariinsky, but I can't stand the thought of her wasting her prime dancing years. And I want to see her again! She has always gotten great reviews when she's toured here in the States.

#12 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:58 AM

I've found it curious that Pavlenko has done so little since coming back from maternity leave. I was disappointed but had hoped that it was her choice to come back so slowly. It's sad to hear that her absence is due to Mariinsky politics, but not really that surprising and certainly not unprecedented. Hopefully she will find a way to break through and return to dancing principal roles, or have the courage to leave and join a company that will allow her to reach her full potential. I guess it's unlikely that she would leave Russia with a new baby and a husband whose career is taking off at the Mariinsky, but I can't stand the thought of her wasting her prime dancing years. And I want to see her again! She has always gotten great reviews when she's toured here in the States.

I agree, she is a gem, full of talent and artistry. Also agree it's highly unlikely she would leave as you point out. I hope things change, but I don't expect them to...

#13 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

My friend can't make it to Feb 9th Sleeping Beauty and selling his ticket
http://washingtondc....1583662505.html

It's row M seat 8, $95
please contact via craigslist if interested. Shklyarov & Vishneva & Kandaurova

#14 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:41 AM

There have been some casting changes on the Kennedy Center website. Unfortunately no Fadeev this trip, but at least he's been replaced by Schklyarov. And a great big gift for me, who decided that since I was going for the Sat eve performance I'd add the Saturday matinee despite the Somova/ Ivanchenko casting. They are now scheduled for only one performance on Wednesday and the Kolegova/Korsakov/Iosofidi cast is now scheduled for the Sat mat (it looks like they switched the Saturday and Sunday matinee casts).

PRINCIPAL CASTING
Tue., Feb. 9 at 7:30 p.m.
Aurora: Diana Vishneva
Prince Desire: Vladimir Shklyarov
Lilac Fairy: Ekaterina Kondaurova

Wed., Feb. 10 at 7:30 p.m.
Aurora: Alina Somova
Prince Desire: Evgeny Ivanchenko
Lilac Fairy: Anastasia Kolegova

Thu., Feb. 11 & Sat., Feb. 13 at 7:30 p.m.
Aurora: Viktoria Tereshkina
Prince Desire: Vladimir Shklyarov
Lilac Fairy: Ekaterina Kondaurova

Fri., Feb. 12 at 7:30 p.m.
Aurora: Anastasia Matvienko
Prince Desire: Evgeny Ivanchenko
Lilac Fairy: Oksana Skoryk

Sat., Feb. 13 at 1:30 p.m.
Aurora: Anastasia Kolegova
Prince Desire: Anton Korsakov
Lilac Fairy: Alexandra Iosifidi

Sun., Feb. 14 at 1:30 p.m.
Aurora: Anastasia Matvienko
Prince Desire: Maksim Zyuzin
Lilac Fairy: Oksana Skoryk

#15 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

Strange--there is no cast listed for the Saturday night performance on the KC website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):