Nutcracker Grand Pas De DeuxWhat version(s) is your favorite?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:45 PM

With it being Nutcracker season, I'm curious to know what version or versions of the grand pas de deux are Ballet Talkers' favorite -- would never grow tired of watching. There are so many out there...

I personally like the versions by Baryshnikov, Nureyev, Vainonen, and Petit.

#2 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,219 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

Sir Peter Wright's. :thumbsup:

#3 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:27 PM

Mary Day's version is my favourite, but I also like Wright's.

#4 toeprints

toeprints

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:30 PM

Nureyev's version. Breathtaking! When he tossed Merle Park into the air - twice - I was in shock. His entire choreography was the best and most exciting that I've ever seen.

#5 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:29 AM

The Vainonen version for me, please. :thumbsup:

#6 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:56 AM

My favorite Grand Pas goes back many years to the first version I saw,--the Ballet Russe version staged by Alexandra Fedorova. It was a truncated version, to say the least, and done on a shoe string--but, that Grand Pas has remained with me all these years and I have warm memories of Danilova and Krassovska. I loved the choreography and I generally wince when I see other versions to that glorious music.

#7 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:09 AM

That's my favorite, too, probably because it was the first one I learned. It's based pretty faithfully on the Ivanov, and funnily, it uses a cut in the "big music" because that section was devoted to "stage magic" in the original, only I think that they cut the wrong eight bars. The third restatement of the theme, with the woodwind arpeggios and crashing cymbals is much grander than the version that BR used.

Also, the original SPF, Antonietts dell'Era was described by Petipa as "Madame no good"! But she could do pirouettes into arabesque, so that's why there are so many of those packed tightly together. Because she was not at the top of her technique and strength, having been dancing (and singing!) in comic operas for the years leading up to the new ballet, her technical material is relatively easy, so a ballerina can concentrate on perfection.

#8 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,219 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:47 AM

My favorite Grand Pas goes back many years to the first version I saw,--the Ballet Russe version staged by Alexandra Fedorova. It was a truncated version...

That's my favorite, too...

Interesting that Fedorova's was my first thought to the original question. I've said many times how fond I am of this version, for which is the one I grew up with. (Actually, tomorrow I will see it, in its CCBM re-incarnation). The thing is, I often wondered why was its grand adagio score chopped off in its most beautiful climax, so when I saw Sir Peter Wright's-(which is basically the same one, PLUS the missing bars, PLUS that lovely passage of the ballerina being carried on pointe on top of the musseline wrap)-..well, then I loved it even more.

Interesting too, the music is still chopped off in Cuba, so it is in the CCBM's version. Talk about being faithful to the past! :thumbsup:

Fedorova's in Havana. CNB. Lorna Feijoo and Osmay Molina

Fedorova's in Miami. CCBM. Jordan Elizabeth Long and Miguel Angel Blanco

Sir Peter Wright's . Dowel and Collier
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Fonteyn and Somes, at the very end of the clip.

#9 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:38 AM

Ballet Theatre also did this version as a divertissement with the likes of Markova, Hightower and Alonso.

#10 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:05 AM

Right, and it's written out in letterpress form in Dolin's book, Pas de Deux: The Art of Partnering.

#11 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,219 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:06 PM

Nina Novak Ballet also uses Fedorova's version.

#12 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:50 PM

Thanks, Christian for those links -- I'm particularly grateful for the Fonteyn one (and Feijoo -- as you know I adore her)...

The Fonteyn is new to me , and very interesting: I love the way she does the flourishes, there's something Spanish to them (and of course she is a Fontes, it's her birthright), her hands are like flowers, she's not embarrassed by the personal emphasis the phrasing calls for but understands that it's what the public deserves, she should be WONDERFUL!

The interview with Shearer, ABOUT her is worth something, too. Wonder what this is a clip FROM?

My favorite Grand Pas goes back many years to the first version I saw,--the Ballet Russe version staged by Alexandra Fedorova. It was a truncated version...

That's my favorite, too...

Interesting that Fedorova's was my first thought to the original question. I've said many times how fond I am of this version, for which is the one I grew up with. (Actually, tomorrow I will see it, in its CCBM re-incarnation). The thing is, I often wondered why was its grand adagio score chopped off in its most beautiful climax, so when I saw Sir Peter Wright's-(which is basically the same one, PLUS the missing bars, PLUS that lovely passage of the ballerina being carried on pointe on top of the musseline wrap)-..well, then I loved it even more.

Interesting too, the music is still chopped off in Cuba, so it is in the CCBM's version. Talk about being faithful to the past! :clapping:

Fedorova's in Havana. CNB. Lorna Feijoo and Osmay Molina

Fedorova's in Miami. CCBM. Jordan Elizabeth Long and Miguel Angel Blanco

Sir Peter Wright's . Dowel and Collier
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Fonteyn and Somes, at the very end of the clip.

#13 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:54 PM

Here's a shocker: My favorite is Balanchine's, even tho it doesn't have a male variation (which I regret). There isn't much in ballet that's more thrilling than the supported pirouette into the backbend on the crescendo.

#14 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,219 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:40 AM

Fedorova's again...by Bejart's ballet...

#15 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:22 AM

Quite a surreal performance...as if Odile decided to drop by Confiturembourg!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):