This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Alex Wong: A Pointe Magazine's "Standout" for 2009

bart

The Dec. 2009/January 2010 issue of Pointe Magazine, Alex Wong is one of the 12 "Standout" performers of 2009.

Few would think of the cheerfully loosey-goosey choreography for the sneater-clad "stompers" in TwylaTtharp's In the Upper Room as technical. Yet when Miami City Ballet principal soloist Alex Wong blazed through the stompers' bouncy leaps and backward jogs this spring, he epitomized virtuosic technique. Wong's precise classical style and fine-tuned musicality lent the high-speed role -- which most dancers are lucky just to survive -- polish and panache. And in a work defined by explosive displays of energy, Wong crackled with a singular electricity. His jumps were the most buoyant, his joyful intensity unmatched.

This honor puts Wong in the company of the likes of Natalia Osipova, Alina Cojocaru, Sterling Hyltin, Riomara Lorenzo, Jonathan Poretta, and Marie-Agnes Gillot. (10 women; only 2 men).

It will be interesting to see what opportunities Edward Villella will be able to provide to keep Wong performing at top level for MCB, while challenging him to expand his talent in new directions.

Kuddos for gravity-defying Wong! :thumbsup:

Now time has come for him to start proving more versatility.

I'm admitting that I watched So You Think You Can Dance tonight. But I think anyone who watched it will say that Alex showed incredible versatility tonight!

Tell us more, onxmyxtoes. Please. Over several years at MCB, I have tended to agree with Cristian on the matter of Wong's versatility, but would be delighted to learn that he is expanding his expressive range. How, for example, is the partnering going?

I've adjusted the topic title to encourage people to discuss Wong on So You Think You Can Dance. I admit that I haven't been able to get myself together enough to watch the show except for once, but I would like to be able to follow Wong. I suspect there are other Wong-watchers on BT as well. :thumbsup:

What do you all think?

I watched last night and was completely blown away by both Alex's solo and his hip-hop routine. Unbelievable! The kid's got heart to go along with the bucket-loads of talent and charisma he possesses. He seemed so sweet and humble as he talked about how Edward Villella was the biggest dance influence in his life.

I never really understood WHY he wanted to to do SYTYCD when he had Eddie as a mentor and teacher and was able to dance all those wonderful ballet roles. After his performance last night I understand now. I think he has an insatiable hunger to try new dance styles and to prove to himself that he can master them. I do feel for you Miami City Ballet fans who lament his temporary (hopefully) leave of absence from the company, although that feeling is mixed with envy that you got to see him dance so frequently! :wink:

Miami City Ballet's latest Facebook post reads:

Alex Wong is shining on SYTYCD...but who inspired him to become the dancer he is today? Edward Villella! On last night's show, Alex paid homage to Edward and thanked him for being his inspiration. If you missed it, check out the video in this article on examiner.com.

with a link to this article.

Alex suffered a torn achilles tendon during stage rehearsals for Wednesday nights broadcast. Obviously he's out of the show. He was sobbing, the other dancers were sobbing, heck I was sobbing. Wishing him a speedy, healthy and safe recovery.

It's interesting how over the moon crazy :crying: we can get over dancers in such a short amount of time.

Good luck, Alex. I still think of you as one of "our" Miami City Ballet dancers, even though you have moved on. Best wishes for a speedy and 100% recovery. The best part of your art and your career still like ahead of you.

I forgot to add this sweet interview with Wong, following the injury to his Achilles tendon. It's from Entertainment Weekly. There are two references to MCB:

Are you headed back to Miami?

No. I’m going to get my surgery in L.A. And then I think I’m going to head to Vancouver for some rehab, probably. Because my aunt is there.

[ .... ]

Are you going to go back to the Miami City Ballet after you finish recovery?

Right now, I really have no idea what I’m going to do. I’m confused, because I don’t know when I’m going to be back up and dancing. I don’t know. I would love to do the show again, so if I do the show again, I won’t be able to return to the Ballet, of course. So it’s a lot to think about.

http://popwatch.ew.c...interview-exit/