This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Pavlova tour program

the program scanned below has a date without a year!!

grrrrr.

a friend recommended years ago that one should hand date - by year - all programs one keeps since so often the year is not given - not that i rem. to follow this rule myself, still, i wish the original owner of this program had done so, as in "do i say not as i do!"

fortunately the Hurok auspices helps point to the years 1924 -25.

of some interest is the listing of " 'Swan' (arranged by M. Fokine)" - NB: still at this not designated "The Dying Swan" and keeps to Fokine's original title - taken, of course, from Saint-Saens's own wording for his musical composition.

BT members more familiar with Pavlova's career might be curious to see the repertory given on these two bills - a matinee and an evening performance.

post-848-1258734778_thumb.jpg

post-848-1258734788_thumb.jpg

the program scanned below has a date without a year!!

grrrrr.

a friend recommended years ago that one should hand date - by year - all programs one keeps since so often the year is not given - not that i rem. to follow this rule myself, still, i wish the original owner of this program had done so, as in "do i say not as i do!"

fortunately the Hurok auspices helps point to the years 1924 -25.

of some interest is the listing of " 'Swan' (arranged by M. Fokine)" - NB: still at this not designated "The Dying Swan" and keeps to Fokine's original title - taken, of course, from Saint-Saens's own wording for his musical composition.

BT members more familiar with Pavlova's career might be curious to see the repertory given on these two bills - a matinee and an evening performance.

The first page shows the Hancock Opera Opera House which tells us the performances were in Houston Texas.

According to "Impresario" A Memoir by S. Hurok he was organising tours for Pavlova from 1922 so it is possible that your date of 1924-1925 is correct. It could not be much later as Muriel Stuart left the Pavlova company in 1926.

I have been apalled all my ballet going life at the sight of, "The Dying Swan" on a programme. It can only be called "The Swan" because that is the name Fokine

applied having been inspired by a Balmont poem, "The Swan."