This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Can Modern Dance Be Preserved?

I think I'm about to make myself unpopular, but to the question, "Can modern dance be preserved?" I'd have to say yes, based on the fact that Labanotation is capable of preserving any form of dancing in the world.

I don't know how others feel about movement-writing, but it has been a major help in the academic work I've done with the dance. It takes statements about movement out of the realm of 'imagination' and puts it in writing so that people know exactly what you are talking about.

If I could, I'd have every young student learn the basics of movement-writing along with their first ballet classes. Literacy really helps! I'm aware, however, that not everyone feels the same way I do about this. I'd be glad to know others' opinions and would welcome comments.

anthro1

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/magazine...1&ref=dance

We've discussed this topic across different threads. With the publication of this New York Times article, I'm creating a thread to discuss this topic in general. (I'm cross-posting the link to the Cunningham Living Legacy thread to discuss Cunningham in particular, which is the theme of the article.)

To miliosr:

I clicked on the Times article and printed it out. Now, I'll read it and get back to the subject another time. I knew Cunningham, but was unfamiliar with the article. I was teaching in a small college in China in November, 2009.

Thanks.

anthro1

As someone who teaches notation, I appreciate the comments here -- I certainly do think that work can be recorded in a "text" form, and reconstructed. It's a more difficult process than musicians working with a score or actors with a script, but it is absolutely possible.