This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Is there a dvd available of Fonteyn & Nureyev in the Margeurite & Armand filmed in the 1970's? I think that performance is more emotionally riveting than the one from the 60's in spite of the orchestrated Liszt Piano Sonata.

I have not seen a DVD available just devoted to "Marguerite and Armand" with Rudolf Nureyev and Dame Margot. There are two interesting clips on youtube from this work and details about its filming at

http://www.nureyev.org/rudolf-nureyev-main...-rudolf-nureyev

I find the films unsatisfactory as a record of the actual performance of which I believe I saw every performance given in the Royal Opera House.

Is there a dvd available of Fonteyn & Nureyev in the Marguerite & Armand filmed in the 1970's? I think that performance is more emotionally riveting than the one from the 60's in spite of the orchestrated Liszt Piano Sonata.
Is there a video record of an early-60s performance? That is something I would love to see. The version in I Am a Dancer was shot when Fonteyn's real age became a much larger element in the plot than I think Ashton originally intended.

I saw them dance this during one of the Royal's last seasons at the Old Met. The partnership was at the height of its fame. My memories are very non-specific as to choreography, possibly because I was sitting way up and very far from the stage. That means that I now tend to visualize Fonteyn and Nureyev in this period are of tiny, tiny figures, leaping, diving, embracing, and (finally) suffering across vast spaces. I know I missed a lot.

Is there a dvd available of Fonteyn & Nureyev in the Marguerite & Armand filmed in the 1970's? I think that performance is more emotionally riveting than the one from the 60's in spite of the orchestrated Liszt Piano Sonata.
Is there a video record of an early-60s performance? That is something I would love to see. The version in I Am a Dancer was shot when Fonteyn's real age became a much larger element in the plot than I think Ashton originally intended.

I saw them dance this during one of the Royal's last seasons at the Old Met. The partnership was at the height of its fame. My memories are very non-specific as to choreography, possibly because I was sitting way up and very far from the stage. That means that I now tend to visualize Fonteyn and Nureyev in this period are of tiny, tiny figures, leaping, diving, embracing, and (finally) suffering across vast spaces. I know I missed a lot.

Bart,

There are extended excerpts of a 1960's film of Marguerite & Armand on the Perfect Partnership dvd. Their profound chemistry and some lovely Ashton choreography are the highlights. You can find clips on youtube.

The 70's Liszt plus orchestra film is also on youtube, but it's not complete. I vividly recall seeing this M&A on The Magic of Dance back in the 80's. Why this wonderful documentary narrated by Fonteyn isn't on dvd is beyond me.

Thanks MakarovaFan and leonid. I just checked out "Perfect Partnership" and found that the dvd is available on Amazon (click top of this Ballet Talk page). For me, it's a great opportunity to fill in another piece of the memory puzzle, and I appreciate your leads :thanks:

Thanks MakarovaFan and leonid. I just checked out "Perfect Partnership" and found that the dvd is available on Amazon (click top of this Ballet Talk page). For me, it's a great opportunity to fill in another piece of the memory puzzle, and I appreciate your leads :flowers:

A pleasure, bart. Glad to help! :)