This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

This movie, not previously much available, and thus sought after by those who caught things from movie channel telecasts, is now on DVD and being offered on Amazon.

With any luck, the following link to Amazon should work and open the page on the movie's recent DVD release.

[a link i suspected might work has been removed by me, i assume one can got to Amazon and search for the item by title, etc.]

This movie, not previously much available, and thus sought after by those who caught things from movie channel telecasts, is now on DVD and being offered on Amazon.

With any luck, the following link to Amazon should work and open the page on the movie's recent DVD release.

[a link i suspected might work has been removed by me, i assume one can got to Amazon and search for the item by title, etc.]

rg, I found the item by entering the title in the amazon box at the top of the screen.

I was intrigued by this, I'd like to see it but let me add that it doesn't seem Amazon is selling this on a regular release. The item is offered only by several Amazon merchants instead, this usually means it's either not in stock at Amazon or not currently in print. All five sellers are asking about $40 which put me off but these things are always subject to supply and demand.

Here's a link:

http://tinyurl.com/yjyqu6h

but I think it's more advantageous to our site to go through the Amazon window on the screen.

A question for the administrators of the site. I searched through the window above and found the item. So the link was created using the portal. Does BT still get a commission if someone uses the link I created or is it necessary to manually enter through the window on top of the screen?

I've been curious about this.

There is a lovely Ashton-choreographed ballet for the Moira Shearer episode,if i remember correctly.

i'm at a loss, i was sent an email this a.m. from amazon.

i posted and then took down the link that was included b/c i wondered if my link would take anyone linking here to my page, w/ personal amazon account.

i can paste the info in the email here, if it's of any help:

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

As someone who has purchased or rated The Red Shoes - Criterion Collection or other films in the ( S ) > Shearer, Moira category, you might like to know that Story of Three Loves is now available. You can order yours for just $28.98 by following the link below.

Story of Three Loves

Pier Angeli

Price: $28.98

There is a lovely Ashton-choreographed ballet for the Moira Shearer episode,if i remember correctly.

Yes, there is. The plot is another ballerina-dances-herself-to-death item, this time with James Mason as the impresario, but Shearer looks beautiful and dances beautifully. Also, her segment comes first and you don't have to sit through the rest of it unless you want to. I like the dance Ashton made for her here (he used the same music for Rhapsody later, it's "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini" by Rachmaninoff). As rg says, it' will be nice to have this on DVD - it does get shown on cable occasionally, but usually at odd hours of the day or night.

Thanks for the heads up, rg.

btw, i'd happily put the link back up that i took down if someone could assure my ignorant self that just b/c it goes to my personal account right now that this same link on a 'puter other than mine would go to a generic page and not my personal amazon account page.

i'm at a loss, i was sent an email this a.m. from amazon.

i posted and then took down the link that was included b/c i wondered if my link would take anyone linking here to my page, w/ personal amazon account.

i can paste the info in the email here, if it's of any help:

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

As someone who has purchased or rated The Red Shoes - Criterion Collection or other films in the ( S ) > Shearer, Moira category, you might like to know that Story of Three Loves is now available. You can order yours for just $28.98 by following the link below.

Story of Three Loves

Pier Angeli

Price: $28.98

Maybe Amazon is in the process of updating their information of this item and not quote everything has caught up yet.

Just from following the links on the amazon page, I wandered into Warner brothers' "shop". They are advertising the DVD for about $20 so that may be a better deal than the one Amazon is offering .

http://www.wbshop.com/on/demandware.store/...amp;src=GGLHMOD

Maybe somebody has posted this already, but it's big news to me, thought I'd share it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWCgavOqE9U

THe story is Red-shoes-y; she dances in a hotel room, and Ashton'

s used the confined space to create a FABULOUS little confection, beautiful solo to part of Rhapsody on a THeme of Paganini -- the allegro has a lot of Ashton's own qualities, quicksilver -- WHAT? WHAT? WHAT?

I'm beginning to get it with Shearer...

ALso the doll's dance from Tales of Hoffmann is up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The plot is another ballerina-dances-herself-to-death item, this time with James Mason as the impresario, but Shearer looks beautiful and dances beautifully.

Sounds like the Antonia section of Contes d'Hoffmann. On two occasions, there are closeups of Shearer's face as she responds to Mason's urging her not to stp. The whites of her eyes blaze. A hint of of madness behind the beautiful surfaces of her face? Is Mason's character a Dr. Miracle figure in the story? Mason seems too bland to be a villain. The dance itself seems rather genteel and restrained.o

Paul, dirac, bingham, richard ... and others: I'd love to hear your thoughts about the choreography, especially given the context. I assume she is supposed to be inventing the steps as she goes along.

One of the comments on the YouTube page claimed that this was Ashton's "only site-specific work," though I'm not sure what the significance of this is supposed to be.

Bart, "Site-specific" work is a big deal in post modern dance. The phrase means a dance created for the space itself, as when a group dance all over a converted factory, on the walls, using the old booms that swung out over the factory floor, on the rafters, , in nooks and crannies as well as on the floors and mezzanines....The cool thing about Ashton's is that it uses the space rather as Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers might move from a social space, dancing with other couples, along a passageway, and then into the large white space that they have to themselves -- I'm thinking of of "Cheek to Cheek." The dance changes character as the space changes -- not just the freedom to move but the privacy changes and the quality of the dancing changes, too.

Really good site-specific work has some of the qualities of rituals -- and indeed the choreography of a Christmas or Easter High Mass, with all its processionals, lighting of fires, blessing of holy waters, etc, is distinctly a dance-element in the liturgy. Sometimes there may even be a dance, usually at the offertory.

So the adage of this dance, which requires some partnering, is saved for the GREAT BIG TUNE and is done in the conservatory, where she can use the pillars for support -- and also as a refuge from James Mason, whose sinister power seems to recede some in this section as her own feelings come more into bloom. She loves the dance, not him.

Ashton's forms DO look genteel until you get to know them. You may never like him; I do.

The plot is another ballerina-dances-herself-to-death item, this time with James Mason as the impresario, but Shearer looks beautiful and dances beautifully.

Sounds like the Antonia section of Contes d'Hoffmann. On two occasions, there are closeups of Shearer's face as Mason is encouraging her to continue. The whites of her eyes blaze -- a kind of madness behind the beautiful surfaces of her face? Is Mason's character a Dr. Miracle figure in the story? Mason seems too bland to be a villain. The dance itself seems rather genteel and restrained.

Paul, dirac, bingham, richard ... and others: I'd love to hear your thoughts about the choreography, especially given the context. I assume she is supposed to be inventing the steps as she goes along.

One of the comments on the YouTube page claimed that this was Ashton's "only site-specific work," though I'm not sure what the significance of this is supposed to be.

Thanks, Paul, for that excellent explanation. Knowing the context generally frees me to see things more clearly. Not knowing tends to breed insecurity. "How am I supposed to respond?" This, in turn, sometimes makes me less open to new experience. I'm looking forward to watching this again. :)

This is actually part of the Warner Archives where WB is now doing MOD. You may find quite a few films from Warner that weren't previously available at all or minimally available.

http://www.wbshop.com/on/demandware.store/...+of+three+loves

and the main page:

http://www.wbshop.com/Warner-Archive/ARCHIVE,default,sc.html

-goro-