• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#91 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:49 AM

California, don't fool with the 'eco-friendly' bedbug sprays, they are totally worthless and don't work. I'm not sure what that little one on amazon is, although it says 'non-toxic'. Well, you want toxic, you just use less of it and aerate rooms.

The strong ones you can get at hardware stores have pyrethrins in them, and they are somewhat nauseating, but they do work as preventive unless the bugs have really gotten control of the territory. When I then got professionals working, there is Permacide for the bugs and Bedlam for the eggs, which they tell you to use alternately, but you can use them however you want; the companies do a lot to try to scare you, and they can be very irresponsible.

I agree you can't be obsessive about this, even having been through it and the whole horror it is (you don't quit thinking you're seeing them for months after they're gone.) But I never think about worrying about theaters or even movies, and wouldn't even now. As for

what about a plastic sheet one could use to cover a theater seat -- and then discard on the way out?

I'd say no, that's being obsessive--they can just as easily be on the carpet on the floor. Cconcentrate on hotel rooms, them forget about it. I'm sure Koch and Met Theaters are going to ensure that everything is 100% cleared there, and I even doubt that there's much serious infestation in movie theaters.

Patrick...I see that you've become quite an expert on the bedbug matters...! :lol:

#92 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:57 AM

Moving away from the bedbug topic and re-focusing this topic on David Koch and the Koch Theater,there is an interesting op-ed piece in the NY Times by Frank Rich about the Tea Party. The op ed discusses the fact that sophisticated conservatives like Carl Rove and Koch disdain the less sophisticated people (Palin, O'Donnell) who have become the public face of the Tea Party. There is a mention of David Koch and the Nutcracker as follows:

"But the members won’t let the hoi polloi dine with them in the club’s “main dining room” — any more than David H. Koch, the billionaire sugar daddy of the Republican right, will invite O’Donnell into his box at the David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center to take in “The Nutcracker.” The main dining room remains reserved for Koch’s fellow oil barons . . .."

#93 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:52 AM

Moving away from the bedbug topic and re-focusing this topic on David Koch and the Koch Theater,there is an interesting op-ed piece in the NY Times by Frank Rich about the Tea Party. The op ed discusses the fact that sophisticated conservatives like Carl Rove and Koch disdain the less sophisticated people (Palin, O'Donnell) who have become the public face of the Tea Party. There is a mention of David Koch and the Nutcracker as follows:

"But the members won’t let the hoi polloi dine with them in the club’s “main dining room” — any more than David H. Koch, the billionaire sugar daddy of the Republican right, will invite O’Donnell into his box at the David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center to take in “The Nutcracker.” The main dining room remains reserved for Koch’s fellow oil barons . . .."

It does not sound as if Frank Rich has ever been to the David H. Koch Theater (no boxes)...

#94 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:28 AM

Re: "the millionaire sugar-daddy of the Republican right." For some reason I am reminded of the marvelous Peter Arno cartoon, published in The New Yorker during one of our previous outbreaks of angry upper-class warfare. At that time, it was aimed at FDR and the New Deal:

http://www.loc.gov/e...a024-06566v.jpg

The Trans-Lux was a small Times Square movie house that showed only what were then called "newsreels" It was still hanging on in the first part of the 60s. I remember dropping in occasionally. (Not, of course, to "hiss Roosevelt.") I think the chance to watch film of the "Indochina" (a.k.a. Vietnam) War were an attraction. Features on the performing arts were regular features, including what was my first large-screen sight of Nureyev, shortly after his defection and also at the time of his first visit to the U.S. with the Royal Ballet.

#95 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:03 AM

There are apparently still those who choke on the idea of using the name "Koch Theater." Here's the circumlocution provided by Alex Ross in his piece on City Opera and current difficulties in the classical arts world (May 9, The New Yorker):

...the space at Lincoln Center that used to be called the New York State Theatre and now bears the name of the right-wing billionaire David H. Koch.

Not very catchy. But it makes its point.

#96 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:02 AM

Perhaps we're going to take a precedent from the pop world, and call the place, "The theater formerly known as State."

#97 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:31 AM

Perhaps we're going to take a precedent from the pop world, and call the place, "The theater formerly known as State."

After his absurd spectacle this week, covered on various sites (but presumably after The New Yorker's article went to press), I'm ready to stop with the proprieties of it as well. But I think I'll just call it the New York State Theater without anything to qualify it. The current remarks he's made are less offensive than just dull--sort of tell-tale, an admission of defeat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):