This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

NY Times Article Re Koch Theater

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#61 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:43 AM

There is an editorial in the NY Times regarding the Koch Brothers' financing of a campaign to undo California's AB32 clean energy legislation. The upshot of the opinion is that the only winners if the legislation is repudiated are the Koch brothers and the Chinese, who "are already moving briskly ahead in the clean technology race." The article notes that the biggest losers will be California and the planet.

Lady Macbeth might be able to offer some helpful (or not) tips on how to sanitize the name that is currently used to refer to the "Building Formally Known as the New York State Theater"

#62 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:50 AM

Lady Macbeth might be able to offer some helpful (or not) tips on how to sanitize the name that is currently used to refer to the "Building Formally Known as the New York State Theater"

LOL! I think the only name that would be more reviled than Koch right now would be the British Petroleum Theater.

#63 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

There is an editorial in the NY Times regarding the Koch Brothers' financing of a campaign to undo California's AB32 clean energy legislation. The upshot of the opinion is that the only winners if the legislation is repudiated are the Koch brothers and the Chinese, who "are already moving briskly ahead in the clean technology race." The article notes that the biggest losers will be California and the planet.

I choose to call it "[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]The Theater Formerly Known as The New York State Theater[/font]."

#64 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:19 AM

Have faith!---in 1945 Mayor LaGuardia changed the name of Sixth Avenue to 'Avenue of the Americas'---and New Yorkers know how far that went. :thumbsup:

#65 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:05 AM

Have faith!---in 1945 Mayor LaGuardia changed the name of Sixth Avenue to 'Avenue of the Americas'---and New Yorkers know how far that went. :thumbsup:

Americans have a long history of stubborn resistance to these imposed names. JFK airport took hold, but Reagan? It will always be National Airport to me. John Wayne? No, Orange County airport. And last time I was at Lincoln Center, everybody knew what I meant when I referred to "State Theatre." Avery Fischer Hall took hold. (Was that the original name?) It will be interesting to see what people call the State Theatre five years down the road.

#66 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:39 AM

Avery Fischer Hall took hold. (Was that the original name?) It will be interesting to see what people call the State Theatre five years down the road.

No, Philharmonic Hall was renamed Avery Fischer Hall in 1973. But the hall had only been opened for 11 years at that point so the original name wasn't terribly deeply ingrained in people's minds.

The name change followed a very large(for the time) donation of over 10 million dollars. While it's possible there are some skeletons in Mr Fischer's closet, he was a life long music lover and inventor of electronics equipment, which made him his fortune. He also sat on the board of directors for the NY Philharmonic.

In the later part of his life he seemed to be considered first and foremost a philanthropist.

#67 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:44 AM

Given the nature and spirit of most Manhattanites, I think that the "Koch" name -- with all the recent revelations about the family's ties to various extreme right-wing causes and to the more retrograde forms of petroleum dependency -- will have an especially hard time.

I will not use it as a matter of principle, and I know others who feel the same.

P.S. There are also all those ambiguities of how to pronounce it.

#68 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:51 AM

P.S. There are also all those ambiguities of how to pronounce it.

We can always pronounce it "Kotch" theater and pretend it's named after Mayor Koch. I think the "How Am I Doing, New York! Promenade" has a nice ring to it ... :wink:

#69 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:07 AM

We can always pronounce it "Kotch" theater and pretend it's named after Mayor Koch. I think the "How Am I Doing, New York! Promenade" has a nice ring to it ... :wink:

There you go! That's a nifty solution to the problem. I guess history will eventually tell us who is more remembered (at least in NYC), Ed or the "other one"

#70 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:50 AM

Kathleen, Richard: you've solved my problem. Thank you. First choice will be State Theater.

But as a second choice: the Ed Koch -- as in "The New York City Ballet performs in the Ed Koch Theater."

And when I am corrected by a literal-minded, short-term thinker, I'll just give them a sly and faux-innocent stare.

#71 LiLing

LiLing

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:06 PM

I shall refer to it asThe Balanchine Theatre during NYCB's seasons, and The State Theatre during the opera season. I will never call it the Koch ( pronounced coke ), although the Koch as in Ed is certainly preferable to the Koch as in coke.

#72 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

... a literal-minded, short-term thinker ...

Did somebody call my name? But my literal-minded quibble this time concerns Avery Fisher. For the sake of BT's accuracy, notice the spelling of his last name, which was convenient for the trademark his company, Fisher Radio, adopted for its line of audio products, a bird in flight carrying a musical note in its beak, like a twig, but considerably more inspiring to us music-lovers at the time. Fisher himself, a professional musician or at least a devoted music lover, sold the business in 1969 for $31 million, or something like that, according to the Wikipedia (not the best source - I doubt that Fisher or his engineers invented the transistor amplifier, for instance), and the rest of that story is sufficiently well known to make an interesting and even heartening contrast to the Koch story. "Music Lover Helps Philharmonic Fix Concert Hall"? If you're another music lover yourself, you have to love it!

But seriously, I'm glad to find more support here for my own preference for "State Theatre," rather than Koch Theatre, beyond my own tendency sometimes to "wander aimlessly in the irretrievable past or in distant Utopias; ... the fleeting moment we cannot grasp,” in Ernst Junger's lugubrious formulation. I certainly couldn't grasp "the fleeting moment" watching the program on the evening of 9th June in the, uh, New York State Theatre, when as usual in my recent experience, New York City Ballet paid respect to Balanchine as much or more in the breach than in the observance, the breach being between the way ballet was danced there in his day - a way he was very concerned to achieve, a way which he apparently, and some of us as well, considered about as important as the steps and movements themselves - the breach between that way and the way it's danced there today, and so - sorry if this seems disagreeable - the idea of "Balanchine Theatre" makes me wince, personally.

#73 LiLing

LiLing

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:22 PM

Bedbugs! The little critters have been found in the Koch Theatre, and the Met, apparently only in the backstage areas according to a news cast on ABC TV. The poor dancers, and singers. :smilie_mondieu:

#74 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:36 PM

Bedbugs! The little critters have been found in the Koch Theatre, and the Met, apparently only in the backstage areas according to a news cast on ABC TV. The poor dancers, and singers. :smilie_mondieu:

The bedbug plague is absolutely dead-serious. They are everywhere in New York. My building was infested from late 2008 to about August, 2009, my own apt. was treated some 8 times. But the problem wasn't solved till the whole building was treated. Yesterday, at the Richard Rodgers Theater, a lady I was talking to enjoying the show, dropped her playbill on the floor, and went to get another one, because she was afraid it would have bedbugs on it! I think that's a bit absurd, because if they were on the floor, they would easily be infesting our upholstered seats, but your information actually proves that the problem is even more serious than the NYTimes has been telling us, and I can tell you, that there is nothing worse than going through this ordeal. If the bugs are in the backstage area, they are potentially in the entire theater, but I'm sure they're getting the best professionals in to treat for this.

#75 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:40 AM

I have friends who no longer will go to the movies because of the bedbug problem. It is a very serious problem here in NYC now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):