38 replies to this topic

#1 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,139 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:08 PM

Ballet Arizona has release a video on YouTube with focus on the upcoming "Swan Lake". There are clips of Astrit Zejnati partnering Natalia Magnicaballi (in costume) and Ib Andersen rehearsing Tzu-Chia Huang and newcomer Shea Johnson.

http://www.youtube.c...lletarizona#p/a

#2 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:02 AM

Nice to glimpse the lovely Magnicaballi (even for some one with a lump in his throat from having botched arrangements to see her onstage with TSFB in Berkeley this weekend) but it would have been so much better to have heard her music as we see her move to it (presumably). I think the only audio in this promo that comes from the scene we see is people speaking, making this less of an enticement for those who might respond to this musical art. (What is that music we hear instead?)

And we do see her entire, in long shot, in her space, her realm; that's good, so, IMO, not without value, thanks for the link, Helene, but overall, another formula promo. Ho hum. It could have had more excitement.

#3 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for posting it, Helene. The clip gives you a good sense of the dancers -- I wish I could get out there and see it. (I hope you will and report for us. ?)

#4 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,139 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:22 AM

I wish I could, but I can't get away because of school :(

I loved the few seconds of Andersen coaching in the studio. Just to see the way he released the ballerina's hand was a pleasure.

#5 Arizona Native

Arizona Native

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:02 PM

Oh, dear. I think administration/marketing needs to give a lot more thought to who their target audience for this kind of video is, what the possibilities are, and how best to showcase the company, the production, and the director. These days, with high-powered editing software and a Flip available to everyone, it is not a matter of spending more money so much as knowing their company, having that vision thing, and getting familiar with the tools. It was quite underwhelming, I thought.

This didn't do them justice.

Still looking forward to seeing the production, despite the video.

#6 stinger784

stinger784

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:34 PM

AZ Native would you care to expand on your thoughts? I see you were upset with the video but I am not sure why....?

#7 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:57 PM

I like the video -- it makes me think they're taking it seriously, in the right way. I like the fact that Andersen has designed the show as well as directed it -- he doesn't go fpr magniloquence, as a speaker, but I think he is deep as well as sincere and believe this may well be a more serious, more coherent Swan Lake than ABT's or NYCB's or....

Obviously it won't be as opulent as some -- but I sure wish I could see it.

#8 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,139 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:39 PM

There's an unidentified woman speaking in the video starting at 1'17" starting with "I think performance is a very rewarding experience..." -- does anyone know who she is?

#9 Arizona Native

Arizona Native

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:33 AM

Helene, while the woman begins speaking, the video tracks Daniel Marshalsay with one of the new dancers -- Megan Chemlik, perhaps? The video lingers on her for just a bit, as the voice continues.

Stinger, in partial response -- I would charecterize my impression as "underwhelmed." Both the production and the content could have been much better. The blury camara work strikes me as just not competant, as opposed to artistic, I also don't like the angle of coming up from under the dancers, as it does for the most part. As done, it gives a chaotic feeling, rather than the romantic it was probably going for. I also found the chosen music to be annoying, slightly loud, ponderous and with a distracting drum beat background. As for content -- these are interesting, thoughtful people with life experience. Someone asking the right questions could surely get out of Mr. Anderson, for instance -- a star dancer beginning in his teens, a painter, choreographer, Balanchine repetituer, choreographer -- more than completely superficial remarks. If not, let's see more of him working with the dancers.

Of course, this comes from my admiration and appreciation of the company -- if administration puts videos out there, they should reflect the same quality that the dancers acheive. If this were just a particular dancer's home video posted for friends, fans, and the curious -- well, that would be something else entirely.

Or, it may be that I'm just crabby.

And, Stinger -- nice pirouettes. :wink:

#10 stinger784

stinger784

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:03 PM

Helene that is Ginger Smith speaking at 1:17.

#11 stinger784

stinger784

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:23 PM

AZ Native, did you watch the video in High Quality (HQ) on YouTube? I rewatched it just now to see if I could see what you were talking about and it's crystal clear over here on my screen.

I think you're crabby too :clapping:

#12 stinger784

stinger784

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:25 PM

I like the video -- it makes me think they're taking it seriously, in the right way. I like the fact that Andersen has designed the show as well as directed it -- he doesn't go fpr magniloquence, as a speaker, but I think he is deep as well as sincere and believe this may well be a more serious, more coherent Swan Lake than ABT's or NYCB's or....

Obviously it won't be as opulent as some -- but I sure wish I could see it.

Paul you hit the nail on the head with Ib. You were able to read him very well in his answers.

#13 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,139 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:04 PM

Many thanks, Stinger!

#14 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:36 PM

I noticed the performance dates: Nov. 5-8. It seems a shame to go through so much learning, practice, and work for such a short performance time. Will this production tour?

#15 stinger784

stinger784

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:18 PM

Hi Bart,

No we will not be touring. This is actually one more performance than usual for us so we are very happy to get the extra show.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):