This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYPL screeings scheduled for Sat. Oct. 17

f.y.i. to NYC-area residents:

[this came into my email this p.m. - if it's old news and/or already posted feel free to delete]

N.B. a Ballets Russes Movie Marathon this Saturday, October 17, beginning at 12:30 in the Bruno Walter Auditorium at the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts (70 Lincoln Center Plaza).

The program consists of personal favorites that I will briefly introduce:

Diaghilev (118 minutes)

A BBC-TV documentary written and produced by John Drummond, narrated by Peter Ustinov, and featuring interviews with Tamara Karsavina, Lydia Sokolova, Marie Rambert, Ninette de Valois, Leonide Massine, Cyril W. Beaumont, and many other Diaghilev artists and collaborators. First aired on January 2 and 9, 1968.

The Dumb Girl of Portici (9 minutes)

Excerpts from the 1916 feature film, with Anna Pavlova as both a classical nymph and the mute Neapolitan peasant girl, Fenella.

Gaite Parisienne (38 minutes)

America's favorite Massine ballet, filmed by Victor Jessen in the 1940s and starring Alexandra Danilova and Frederic Franklin, with the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo.

Les Noces (90 minutes)

Bronislava Nijinska's masterpiece, danced by the Royal Ballet, conducted by Leonard Bernstein, and filmed by the BBC in 1978.

The Ballets Russes Movie Marathon is free and open to the public.