This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

T. N. Legat & I. B. Izraileva/Zubkovskaya

the attached scans show what were called "publicity cards" in Leningrad.

the portrait card has the following information typed on the back (in Russian):

<<Artist of the Ballet

Tatiana Nikolaevna Legat

1964>>

the full-figure card, has only the name "Izraileva" handwritten on the back.

Inna Borisovna Zubkovskaya (nee Izraileva) was noted in the first Kirov Ballet tour to NYC for her Lilac Fairy - this is the role i assume she's shown in here.

her life dates are 1923 - 2001.

post-848-1254337980_thumb.jpg

post-848-1254337996_thumb.jpg

the attached scans show what were called "publicity cards" in Leningrad.

the portrait card has the following information typed on the back (in Russian):

<<Artist of the Ballet

Tatiana Nikolaevna Legat

1964>>

the full-figure card, has only the name "Izraileva" handwritten on the back.

Inna Borisovna Zubkovskaya (nee Izraileva) was noted in the first Kirov Ballet tour to NYC for her Lilac Fairy - this is the role i assume she's shown in here.

her life dates are 1923 - 2001.

Thank you Robert for posting the cards of two dancers I saw dance in London. Tatiana Legat was the quintessential senior soloist of the Kirov of that time and most people in London fell in love with Zubkovskaya.

Dancers of this type no longer exist in the Kirov. You sat up straight when they entered and you were amazed when they finished dancing. Plastique, musicality and a real stage fillingtheatrical personality was possessed by both of them. Zubkovskaya who graduated from the Bolshoi Theatre School had the beauty of an old painting of a Madonna which is not revealed in this photograph.

I'm curious about the shot of Legat. Does this have something to do with being named a People's Artist? She looks more like a Party apparatchik than a ballerina. Also: what is the significance of the pin (or medal) she is wearing on her lapel?

I'm curious about the shot of Legat. Does this have something to do with being named a People's Artist? She looks more like a Party apparatchik than a ballerina. Also: what is the significance of the pin (or medal) she is wearing on her lapel?

Tatiana Legat born 8th April 1934 was a pupil of Yelena Shiripina and was an outstanding classical and demi-caractere senior soloist.

She was never a ballerina in the proper sense of the word although she danced Gamzatti in Bayaderka , Kitri and Street dancer in Don Quixote, Zarema in The Fountains of Bakhchiserai and apparently

also danced Maria in the same ballet.

In 1962, Madame Legat was awarded the title of Merited Artist of RSFSR not to be confused with a People’s Artist of the USSR and I would suggest that she is perhaps wearing the badge

because it is probably an ‘official’ photo’. Such photographs with awards being worn were I suggest, for home consumption as they were never seen wearing them in the west as far as I know.

She was married to Yuri Soloviev and they had a daughter Yelena.

Madame Legat has an excellent reputation as a teacher and the outstanding dancer Sarah Lamb speaks highly of her time spent studying with her.