This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Viengsay Valdes

cubanmiamiboy

She is Queen of Balances. Don't know how she does it.

I love balancing when I do the yoga poses that involve balancing. But for some reason we do them so seldom in yoga. I think instructors and people avoid them. Not sure why. I would think it is important for everyone to practice balance b/c the worst thing we can do as we age is fall down and break a hip.

The startling thing is that such an *accomplished* dancer (not just ridiculous balances but formidable turns of all kinds) is often trashed/'flamed'--

particularly when she has none of the toxic pretensions which almost invariably accompany far less accomplished dancers

*cough* Somova, etc, etc, etc. *cough*

Valdes would probably be excellent in several Balanchine roles--including Allegro Brilliante and Glinka Pas de Trois, which she'll sadly never get to dance...

Valdes would probably be excellent in several Balanchine roles--including Allegro Brilliante and Glinka Pas de Trois, which she'll sadly never get to dance...

Never say "never"...flowers.gif , but hey...she's danced Taglioni, Lissette, Odile, Cinderella and some other major roles that some Primas of MCB also will probably never get to dance either, so...

Sadly, cubanmiamiboy, not at all an equitable trade IMO. I don't think MCB ballerinas have much interest at all in those kinds of roles and if they do they can probably guest in them.

Valdes, on the other hand, doesn't have the option of just popping in to one of the few companies which do real Balanchine, not to mention obscure Balanchine....

She is actually technically punctilious in many ways, which is why I suggested Balanchine, who is suited to very few dancers, particularly ballerinas of companies who do mainly full-lengths.

I don't think MCB ballerinas have much interest at all in those kinds of roles ...

A WILD guess, IMO...! happy.png

Valdes, on the other hand, doesn't have the option of just popping in to one of the few companies which do real Balanchine, not to mention obscure Balanchine....

This is true. She has had only access to Terpsichore, the Sylph of SS and the T&V, Tchai.PDD and Sylvia PDD-(real Balanchine)- leads-(when Ballo was staged, Ashley only selected Lorna Feijoo to dance it)...but hey, having had first hand view of a full original T&V vid with THE lead on it for a compprehensive portray should be enough,right...?happy.png

A highly educated and plausible guess. innocent.gif

Wow, Valdes did Terpsichore and Scotch and T&V and Tchaik and SYLVIA pdd?!?!?! I had no idea. Dayum. would LOVE to have seen her in Sylvia and T&V.

did you see any of these? wonder how she was as Terpsichore and in Scotch? (not her' type' of roles on the surface) Not sure what your last sentence was there.....??? lol

A highly educated and plausible guess. innocent.gif

Wow, Valdes did Terpsichore and Scotch and T&V and Tchaik and SYLVIA pdd?!?!?! I had no idea. Dayum. would LOVE to have seen her in Sylvia and T&V.

did you see any of these? wonder how she was as Terpsichore and in Scotch? (not her' type' of roles on the surface) Not sure what your last sentence was there.....??? lol

Actually my live experiences with Valdes are very limited. I left the island right when she was still a soloist, and a very obscured one by the divine Lorna Feijoo, who I place as the LAST ballerina who really carried the golden lineage of the Cuban ballet. All those Balanchines are part of the Cuban repertoire, and with the exception of Ballo, are performed sans licensing. As I said, when Merrill Ashley went to stage it, only Feijoo was selected to dance it. As per now, Valdes is first cast for all the ballets, including those by Balanchine. About my last sentence...when Alonso decided to re-staged T&V for her, a full video of the ballet with her and Youskevitch dancing it was taken from her personal arcades for the purpose. I knew the video existed, but it wasn't until I saw some clips that I realized how precious it is to have that very first account of such gem for a dancer. I can't wait until someone post the revival on Youtube, although maybe it will be difficult with the Trust and all that.

Yes. I saw Feijoo do Ballo in Boston. brilliant. I think Ashley didn't pick Valdes for that because it's a 'jumping' ballet and Valdes' obvious virtuoso talents are in turning and balancing.

(And, sometimes, footwork....but Ballo has all kinds of arcane HARD jump combinations and of course the Don Q kick-your-head jete. Not that Valdes can't jump--

but Ballo is very advanced in its jump demands.) The recent Ballo at Royal Ballet had Lauren Cuthbertson, ugggggh--what Ashley saw in her/picked her for is inconceivable

from the clips which came out, especially since her alternate (first cast I think) was the dazzling and flawless Marianela Nunez. talk about unflattering comparisons!!!!

I cannot even imagine a film of Alonso in Theme. That is something that must be seen and made available. (Youskevitch, who fought Balanchine every step of the way and wanted only to do

the same tired old steps and schtick he always did, I'm MUCH less interested in seeing--but to see the original virtuosa doing the great role? OMFG.

So I am scheduled to see Viengsay and Osiel dance here in Puerto Rico, they will be doing Swan Lake with the company Ballet Concierto, I will see it on Friday. I have not seen either of them or a Swan Lake live (I own many DVD's of it, and seen other clips online, but never in person!) I know that because of logistics and company size it will be different than what I have seen on video but I am very excited for this anyway biggrin.png

Pst-viewing edit* I was always impressed by what I had seen of Viengsay (and Osiel) online, but nothing beats the live experience - strong technically, musical and passionate! Blown away and feeling lucky I got to see this :) Ballet Concierto and their dancers did really good as well, it's been 11 years since they staged a SL... I was very impressed and happy to see this in my country!