This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Pointe shoes...

I know that professional dances are given at least a new pair of pointe shoes for each performance, but I don't know the rehearsal situation or the annual allotment...

For instance, does anyone here know how many pointe shoes per year a corps dancer at NYCB would get?

Just curious...

Perhaps because of this mention in an article about the Scottish Ballet's new digs:

It includes storage space for costumes and sets, a room for the 40 pairs of pointe shoes each dancer requires and Europe's largest dance rehearsal space.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotlan...est/8260824.stm
I know that professional dances are given at least a new pair of pointe shoes for each performance, but I don't know the rehearsal situation or the annual allotment...

For instance, does anyone here know how many pointe shoes per year a corps dancer at NYCB would get?

Just curious...

Perhaps because of this mention in an article about the Scottish Ballet's new digs:

It includes storage space for costumes and sets, a room for the 40 pairs of pointe shoes each dancer requires and Europe's largest dance rehearsal space.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotlan...est/8260824.stm

This is by no means confirmed, but I have read that NYCB corps members get 12 pairs per week during the season.

During rehearsal weeks about 6 pairs a month - during performance weeks, a few more as needed. You would use your shoes intelligently-some ballets require a soft pointe shoe,as in Lilac Garden. In Concerto Barocco, you need a very strong shoe, barely broken in, because of those hops on pointe.

Just stumbled across this thread! Since I am a shoe mistress, I'd be happy to answer any questions people may have regarding pointe shoes.

I can give you general figures though:

Female dancers go through approximately 1 pair per week by alternating pairs and Jet Gluing, and one pair per performance unless it is a ballet such as Sleeping Beauty where the principals will indeed go through 1 pair per act!

The reason for the increase in usage on stage has more to do with the hot lights and the adrenaline than anything else. If a shoe manager is doing their job correctly, then a dancer should not have to do a whole lot to a pair prior to wearing. Most dancers wear custom made shoes, so the shoe manager can make whatever adjustments are necessary to keep his or her dancer's feet healthy!