This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Elena Shapiro

I hope this is the right place to post this. I found Elena Shapiro's obituary online.

http://www.legacy.com/WinstonSalem/DeathNo...sonId=132820625

I thought I might share it. Elena was beginning her second year as trainee for Carolina Ballet. She was a very kind talented young dancer whose life was tragically cut short last Friday evening when a drunk driver crashed into her vehicle in Raleigh, NC. She will be missed. A scholarship has been established in her memory at North Carolina School of the Arts.

"Elena Bright Shapiro's precious life was cut short on Friday, September 11th in Raleigh, North Carolina. She was born on November 14, 1988 in Winston-Salem to her very loving parents, Brantly Bright Shapiro and David Scott Shapiro. Elena was well loved and cherished by all. She was a beautifully gifted dancer, who graduated from the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and was currently working with the Carolina Ballet in Raleigh. Elena was a incredibly dedicated daughter, sister and aunt. She is survived by her grief-stricken family; her Mom and Dad, sister: Bibiana Shapiro Fowler, brother: Samuel James Micic Shapiro; maternal grandparents: Ann and James Bright of Corpus Christi, Texas; her paternal grandmother: Nina Shapiro; her adored niece: Lily Elena Fowler; and her loving boyfriend: Cameron Alexander as well as numerous cousins, aunts, uncles and friends who all loved her dearly. There has never been a more beautiful girl nor a more dedicated dancer. Our hearts are broken though we know she is now dancing with angels. A funeral service is being held on Tuesday, September 15 at 12 noon in Wait Chapel. A named scholarship in the School of Dance has been established at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts, for more information or to make a donation please contact the Office of Advancement at UNCSA at 336-770-3330."

Being from Carolina, and Being a "Dance Mom", I am so sad and heartbroken for her family and her Dance family. Im so glad they established the Scholarship in her name so that she will always be remembered as the talented,beautiful young Woman she was. I can only hope something good will come from this tragic nightmare. My sincere condolences to her family!