This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Your Favourite Ballet??Is it actually possible to name just one ballet

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:06 AM

I think "Symphony in C" is just a fun ballet. It has everything -- thrilling allegro dancing, a beautiful adagio duet, and a rousing finale. The four movements allow a company to show off its different types of dancers well. The music sounds like champagne -- so happy, so easy on the ears. It's one Balanchine ballet where absolutely no homework is necessary. I think anyone can just sit down and watch Symphony in C and love it.

...AND it has tutus... :lol:

Thanks, canbelto. I think you are right on target.

Cristian, even though I am a lover of leotard ballets, I have to agree with you about the tutus, which go beautifully with the music. Just compare the following:

NYCB in Symphony in C:
http://www.google.co...1t:429,r:11,s:0

NYCB in Symphony in Three Movements:
http://danceviewtime...ntsc1783810.jpg

Even without hearing Bizet versus Stravinsky, you can see the musical difference.

#47 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:24 AM

Cristian, even though I am a lover of leotard ballets, I have to agree with you about the tutus, which go beautifully with the music. Just compare the following:

NYCB in Symphony in C:
http://www.google.co...1t:429,r:11,s:0

NYCB in Symphony in Three Movements:
http://danceviewtime...ntsc1783810.jpg

Even without hearing Bizet versus Stravinsky, you can see the musical difference.

It is funny...SITM I never "got"-(even after multiple viewings), whereas SIC "got" me since the very first time...! :)

#48 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

Here's my list:
Balanchine - "Jewels," "Apollo," & "Mozartiana"
Petipa - "Giselle," "La Bayadere," & "Swan Lake"
Ashton - "A Month in the Country" & "The Dream"
This may be cheating, but for "Romeo & Juliet" give me Cranko's Acts 1 & 2 for the ball, crowd and fight scenes, and MacMillan's for the balconey & Act 3. But, if I have to pick one "R & J", it would be Sir Kenneth's.

#49 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:19 PM

My one-and-only: The Sleeping Beauty.

#50 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

This may be cheating, but for "Romeo & Juliet" give me Cranko's Acts 1 & 2 for the ball, crowd and fight scenes, and MacMillan's for the balconey & Act 3. But, if I have to pick one "R & J", it would be Sir Kenneth's.

You ARE cheating but that's not a bad combination! Actually I find Cranko's sense of creating a dramatic flow stronger than MacMillan's but I do like MacMillan's third act a lot. So I might go to a performance of your concoction.

#51 George

George

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:49 AM

Around 1955, I wandered off the street in NYC into a place called City Center Theatre. There was a ballet company performing there, the NYCC Ballet. The director was George Balanchine. Principal dancers were Maria Tallchief and Tanaquil La Clercq. I had never seen a ballet or even thought of it previously. The curtain rose on "Concerto Barocco" to the music of Bach's Double Violin Concerto. From that unforgettable moment I was hooked forever into a lifetime of attending ballet performances. There are so many wonderful ballets but Concerto Barocco will always be at the top of my favorites.

#52 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:17 PM

Well, you certainly started out with a winner! You must have many wonderful memories. Why don't you stop by our Welcome Forum and introduce yourself? We'd love to hear a few!

I apologize for taking so long to reply to your post. It took me a while to locate it. From now on, anything you post will be instantly visible to the public, so we'll see you right away.

#53 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:14 AM

Welcome, George, and thank you for that post. Your first Balanchine/NYCB/City Center moment was only 2 years before mine. To come upon Concerto Barocco with a cast like that was a huge bit of luck.

There are a number of us on ballet talk who have memories of the City Center days. (We're part of a Balancine spectrum that covers many decades.) I hope you'll join us and look forward to hearing more of your memories and thoughts about ballet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):