This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Your Favourite Ballet??Is it actually possible to name just one ballet

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:06 AM

I think "Symphony in C" is just a fun ballet. It has everything -- thrilling allegro dancing, a beautiful adagio duet, and a rousing finale. The four movements allow a company to show off its different types of dancers well. The music sounds like champagne -- so happy, so easy on the ears. It's one Balanchine ballet where absolutely no homework is necessary. I think anyone can just sit down and watch Symphony in C and love it.

...AND it has tutus... :lol:

Thanks, canbelto. I think you are right on target.

Cristian, even though I am a lover of leotard ballets, I have to agree with you about the tutus, which go beautifully with the music. Just compare the following:

NYCB in Symphony in C:
http://www.google.co...1t:429,r:11,s:0

NYCB in Symphony in Three Movements:
http://danceviewtime...ntsc1783810.jpg

Even without hearing Bizet versus Stravinsky, you can see the musical difference.

#47 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,397 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:24 AM

Cristian, even though I am a lover of leotard ballets, I have to agree with you about the tutus, which go beautifully with the music. Just compare the following:

NYCB in Symphony in C:
http://www.google.co...1t:429,r:11,s:0

NYCB in Symphony in Three Movements:
http://danceviewtime...ntsc1783810.jpg

Even without hearing Bizet versus Stravinsky, you can see the musical difference.

It is funny...SITM I never "got"-(even after multiple viewings), whereas SIC "got" me since the very first time...! :)

#48 Cygnet

Cygnet

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

Here's my list:
Balanchine - "Jewels," "Apollo," & "Mozartiana"
Petipa - "Giselle," "La Bayadere," & "Swan Lake"
Ashton - "A Month in the Country" & "The Dream"
This may be cheating, but for "Romeo & Juliet" give me Cranko's Acts 1 & 2 for the ball, crowd and fight scenes, and MacMillan's for the balconey & Act 3. But, if I have to pick one "R & J", it would be Sir Kenneth's.

#49 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:19 PM

My one-and-only: The Sleeping Beauty.

#50 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

This may be cheating, but for "Romeo & Juliet" give me Cranko's Acts 1 & 2 for the ball, crowd and fight scenes, and MacMillan's for the balconey & Act 3. But, if I have to pick one "R & J", it would be Sir Kenneth's.

You ARE cheating but that's not a bad combination! Actually I find Cranko's sense of creating a dramatic flow stronger than MacMillan's but I do like MacMillan's third act a lot. So I might go to a performance of your concoction.

#51 George

George

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:49 AM

Around 1955, I wandered off the street in NYC into a place called City Center Theatre. There was a ballet company performing there, the NYCC Ballet. The director was George Balanchine. Principal dancers were Maria Tallchief and Tanaquil La Clercq. I had never seen a ballet or even thought of it previously. The curtain rose on "Concerto Barocco" to the music of Bach's Double Violin Concerto. From that unforgettable moment I was hooked forever into a lifetime of attending ballet performances. There are so many wonderful ballets but Concerto Barocco will always be at the top of my favorites.

#52 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:17 PM

Well, you certainly started out with a winner! You must have many wonderful memories. Why don't you stop by our Welcome Forum and introduce yourself? We'd love to hear a few!

I apologize for taking so long to reply to your post. It took me a while to locate it. From now on, anything you post will be instantly visible to the public, so we'll see you right away.

#53 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:14 AM

Welcome, George, and thank you for that post. Your first Balanchine/NYCB/City Center moment was only 2 years before mine. To come upon Concerto Barocco with a cast like that was a huge bit of luck.

There are a number of us on ballet talk who have memories of the City Center days. (We're part of a Balancine spectrum that covers many decades.) I hope you'll join us and look forward to hearing more of your memories and thoughts about ballet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):